Beas is fighting to be fit for Yankee holler..

On your Marcus ... Beasley has suffered a stop-start season but is hoping to maintain the form that saw him set up all the goals for the USA in their 3-0 World Cup qualifying win over Trinidad and Tobago in Illinois and they now look certain to reach the regional finals

On your Marcus ... Beasley has suffered a stop-start season but is hoping to maintain the form that saw him set up all the goals for the USA in their 3-0 World Cup qualifying win over Trinidad and Tobago in Illinois and they now look certain to reach the regional finals

by Alison McConnell

DAMARCUS BEASLEY believes he is facing a fight to get back into the Rangers side after injury has played havoc with the start of his campaign.

The American international has made just two appearances from the bench so far this season, and he is well aware that Walter Smith has an abundance of options now in the middle of the park.

Rangers were heavily criticised for the �£7.8million sale of Carlos Cuellar to Aston Villa last month, but the funds meant Smith was able to dabble in the transfer market and genuinely strengthen his side.

Beasley's pace and width on the flank looked as though it would be a significant attribute for Smith's side last season before he was injured in a Champions League match against Stuttgart that rendered his season over before it had really began.

advertisement

But now that he is back to fitness, Beasley knows there will be a fight for starting jerseys, with the likes of Pedro Mendes and Steven Davis having been brought in to bolster the Ibrox ranks.

"I don't think anyone has a guaranteed place in our team except Barry Ferguson when he's fit - we all know he has his spot!" he smiled.

"Everyone else has to push for a game, but we're all good players and good friends so there is competition to be in the starting eleven. We all want to be involved and we'll do everything to make sure we are."

One of the players who has arrived at the club is Beasley's fellow countryman Maurice Edu.

The 22-year-old �£2.7m signing arrived to take his place in the Rangers squad for the 4-2 win over Celtic at Parkhead 11 days ago and Beasley, who missed most of last season with a knee ligament injury, is expecting big things from the former Toronto star.

Beasley also admitted that he was keen on selling Rangers to Edu in order that he would have an American buddy in Glasgow.

"I can't remember when it was, but Mo asked me a little bit about Rangers.

"And when I heard we were interested in him, he asked me some questions about the club and the players - just normal things people would want to know if they were going to make a move," he said.

"I made sure I told him all the good things about Rangers. I told him about the history of the club and did the best I could to push him in this direction.

"He is a good, up-and-coming player and broke into our national team last year, playing a couple of games for us.

"He is still young and I think he can be a big hit here at Ibrox. He is a confident player and nothing fazes him. That's what I've seen from Mo so far, and hopefully, he comes in and does well.

"I can't see him doing badly here - I think he'll fit in nicely with the midfielders we have and he'll challenge for a place, whether that's in the middle, right, left or at centre-back."

With Edu and Beasley expected to play a significant role in proceedings for Rangers this season, the profile of the Ibrox club Stateside has never been higher. Both Old Firm teams have a significant following in the USA and Beasley has insisted that he knew all about Rangers before his switch to Glasgow.

Speaking in the Rangers News, Beasley added: "Everyone knows who Rangers are, wherever they are in the world, and people know how big a club this is," he said.

"That was certainly the case when Claudio Reyna was here and people are aware of Celtic, too, and our rivalry with them.

"It is a club people back home definitely look at as one of the biggest in the world and, for me, it is an honour to be part of it."

The remark in red really worries me. I also wonder if Demarcus means it seriously or is having a dig. Surely Fergie has to fight for his place like everyone.

He can say it with a smile on his face just to cover up the fact he IS trying to get the point across.

For me BF HAS to bide his turn when he is fit again. If Thomson and Mendes strike up a good understanding then why should that be broken up.

I don't think ANY player should be guaranteed a place in the team. That said, if we carry on the way we've been playing, then Walter's no doubt going to have a tough decision to make. The main thing for Ferguson is not to rush his recovery. He's still probably our best player, so if he takes his time and reaches a decent level of fitness before he comes back in, then I don't think we'll mind who he replaces. It's good that we've got competition for places in midfield and I'm sure even Barry sees it that way.

Pete,Gribz........maybe he is just saying what a good player BF is, like a lot of Rangers players/fans think, after all he is still our best midfielder by far, proven, unless he is kept out of the team by consistent performances by the other midfielders.

As much as I like Thomson and Davis, a fully fit Ferguson is miles ahead of either of them.

I havent seen enough of Edu or Mendes to compare but I would be amazed if anyone has the array of qualities Ferguson has, never mind his leadership skills.

Ferguson can now look forward to coming back into a midfield full of proper midfield players, not defenders and forward trying to play midfield. He now does not need to worry about covering for everyone else and can concentrate on his own game. We will see the benefit of this when he returns.

Guest sharpayrbear
As much as I like Thomson and Davis, a fully fit Ferguson is miles ahead of either of them.

I havent seen enough of Edu or Mendes to compare but I would be amazed if anyone has the array of qualities Ferguson has, never mind his leadership skills.

Ferguson can now look forward to coming back into a midfield full of proper midfield players, not defenders and forward trying to play midfield. He now does not need to worry about covering for everyone else and can concentrate on his own game. We will see the benefit of this when he returns.

Absolutely spot on. The only question is WHEN he comes back in. You are right, the way we are playing (and I hope that continues) means we don't need to rush Fergie, but as soon as he is 100% he is a must in he team. I think the only people who don't believe that are those who have never forgiven (or ever will!) for leaving.

I think Ferguson is far from being guaranteed a start when he returns.

I'm sure he will get back in the team but he'll have to improve a hell of a lot on last season to stay there.

Remember, Smith bought these new midfielders so he'll feel compelled to play them. The competition will be good for them all.

I agree with Tannochside and Sharpayr. I think he'll walk back into the team as he's probably still our best player.

However hopefully his place will be at threat if he doesn't perform, but with better players beside him he should not have the same issues as he had last season.

BD, some of the issues Ferguson had last season weren't always to do with a lack of colleague quality.

I found his work-rate (or lack of it) very very poor and generally I've never seen him play as many bad passes as he did last season. He seemed extremely unfit as well so hopefully the rest after his recent op will have energised him again.

I felt he was a player short of personal motivation at times. The signing of Mendes and Davis should help him pull his finger from the proverbial.

He also has the same challenge at international level.

All good news for us I think.