PEDRO Mendes has capped a fantastic first month with Rangers by claiming the SPL's Player of the Month title.

Pedro Mendes wins Clydesdale Bank Player of the MonthThe Portuguese midfielder slotted straight in to Walter Smith's team against Hearts and picked up Man of the Match awards in that fixture and against Aberdeen the following weekend.

He then ended August by scoring a wonder goal at Parkhead as he fired the ball home from outside the box to score Rangers' third of the game and his first in a light blue shirt.

His performances came on the back of a whirlwind move and he admits it has been great to get recognition so early in his Gers career.

He said: "It's always good to get an award like this but it feels even better when you've just moved to a different club in a different country.

Pedro Mendes"When you go to a different club of course you want to do well and you want the fans to like you and a goal always helps. Of course against Celtic in a big derby it's even better."

Mendes' goal came from a well worked corner by Steven Davis that left him with time and space on the edge of the box and he admits it is a set piece the team work on.

He added: "Of course it depends how the other team defend. If the gap is there you can take advantage."

It capped a fantastic Old Firm debut for Mendes and he admits it lived up to his expectations.

He said: "I really loved it. I have been speaking to my friends and the press in Portugal during the week and telling them all about it."

Those conversations came as Mendes returned to his homeland as part of the Portugal squad. It was his first involvement in the national team for almost 5 years and he admits it was a pleasant surprise to be recalled.

He added: "It was a big surprise for me, but it is good to be back and see old friends. To be involved with your national team is always good."

Can't agree more he really is a quality act.

Guest BTBBilly

He is a great player, just hope we can keep him.Hopefully he has had his stint in the prem and thats it. He seems really happy in scotland, bu then again we have all fallen for that one in the past

the more I see of him, the harder I find it to belive that no premiership clubs wanted him at �£3m. He'd been down there long enough and they all know what he's about, so hopefully doing well for us isn't going to spark any interest in him. Having said that, if he puts in a couple of high profile performances for Portugal, if he gets a game that is, we could be in trouble.

Great to have you Pedro.:notworthy:

the more I see of him, the harder I find it to belive that no premiership clubs wanted him at �£3m. He'd been down there long enough and they all know what he's about, so hopefully doing well for us isn't going to spark any interest in him. Having said that, if he puts in a couple of high profile performances for Portugal, if he gets a game that is, we could be in trouble.

Great to have you Pedro.:notworthy:

Yeh, but he could have stayed at Portsmouth - it's not as though they didn't want him. Also he's 29. We could have him for the best of his peak years.

The story goes that after large outlays on players like Crouch and Defoe that Portsmouth had no option but to sell a couple of players. Redknapp walked into the dressing room pre-season and said "right, I don't want to do it, but someone's got to go, who's up or it?" Big Pedro says "Aye I'll go, Im no bothered." Harry goes "Aw for fuck sake no you, you're quality, I'd rather keep you cos I've just sold Muntari n'all but funnily enough I know a man who'll take you. Bastart."

"Hullo Walter, turns out......."

As we all know the pub never lies so now you all know how it went down.

That bit is definitely true. Redknapp has admitted that.

it certainly is. He was on Radio snyde doing a live interview on the first day of the season and he more or less stated that he had to sell someone. walter was already sniffing around and he got the nod.

Redknapp came out and said that there were few he wanted to sell but they were in teh 'comfort zone' and wouldn't shift, even though they weren't going to be in the team, whereas Pedro was gonna be playing but was willing to try somewhere new. Delighted we got him, he's been fantastic so far and here's hoping he gets even better.