Walter: We'll Build A Team Around Boyd

is it any co-incedence, that we started to play football and win games after mendes and davis signed?

Your point is ?

We STILL should have MORE than enough in the tank to beat Kaunas without those two players.

I disagree with your disagreement Pete :devil:

That team which went and played against Kaunas was the same squad (bar Ferguson and Davis - for the most part) which dumped Werder Bremen and Fiorentina from the UEFA Cup just a few months prior and had a very good run in the CL against top sides.

You are seeing this with the benefit of hindsight. However I fully believe that the squad we had going into that game should have EASILY had enough to overcome Kaunas - I mean, Kaunas is full of players that Hearts DONT WANT because they arent good enough - so why shouldn't WS, AM and KM have felt we had enough in our squad to put them out ???

The simple truth, for me at least, is that the PLAYERS let the club down with their performances. Yes, there was mismanagement too but the players didnt perform - it really IS that simple !

Well I'll disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement.:P It wasn't hindsight Craig it has been obvious for a few years now that our midfield was just not good enough. We were praying on here that we would sign a midfielder. Ferguson and Davis may have been the only two missing from the team but if i take the engine out of my car then it won't move. Trying to replace it with a moped engine won't help either. They say that one person can't make a team but as with Mendes one strong link can fix a chain.

we obviously didn't, as our midfield was diabolical.

Again, this is said with hindsight, all an advantage we didn't have over WS.

Also, Mendes wasn't available when we had to submit our players for the CL (as far as I am aware) because Muntari had just been sold.

Sorry if you don't see the point I am making but giving the obvious statement you did isn't answering the question at all.

There is NO DOUBT, to me at least, that we had a squad more than capable of beating Kaunas but they just didnt perform - that cant all be put at the management's door.

And we dont even know if we would have went through even if those players WERE here - as Calscot says it is hindsight at best.

Pete, you are now saying you WANT BF to stay, or wanted him to play against Kaunas ? You have been wanting shot of him for a long time so why the change ?

Again, this is said with hindsight, all an advantage we didn't have over WS.

Also, Mendes wasn't available when we had to submit our players for the CL (as far as I am aware) because Muntari had just been sold.

Sorry if you don't see the point I am making but giving the obvious statement you did isn't answering the question at all.

There is NO DOUBT, to me at least, that we had a squad more than capable of beating Kaunas but they just didnt perform - that cant all be put at the management's door.

And we dont even know if we would have went through even if those players WERE here - as Calscot says it is hindsight at best.

Pete, you are now saying you WANT BF to stay, or wanted him to play against Kaunas ? You have been wanting shot of him for a long time so why the change ?

I said i want rid of him and i still do,but i have also always said we need a replacement for him. Someone who can control a game. It looks like we may have found that person in Mendes so in my opinion i have been proved right. Barry Ferguson cannot control the game and is not as good as he is made out to be. I will admit though it may be interesting to see how he plays with Mendes and Davis before we punt him. Maybe he will be able to slot in at left-half.

Has anyone noticed that Walter didn't once actually say that he was building a team around Boyd in the article?.

IMO he was just pointing out that, as far as he was concerned, Boyd had played in the majority of games since he took over ...regardless of some fans (including Boyd himself) and the media suggesting otherwise. He also said that we are now playing in a style (4-4-2 with decent players) which is better suited to Boyd's game (not 4-5-1 with Mcculloch & Dailly), so there was now a better chance of Boyd playing in the 'bigger' games.

Then he pointed out that we have plenty of other options up front. Did I miss something or is it just a case of the usual headline out of thin air p!sh from the media?.

Guest johnnyb

the alarm bells were ringing during pre-season, where we played terrible in every single game against mostly inferior opposition.

the management took a gamble "going with what we've got," and it backfired badly.