Trust Expresses Outrage at Record and Mirror 'Smear'

http://www.rangerssupporterstrust.co.uk/news/2006/190706.html

19 July 2006

Trust Expresses Outrage at Record and Mirror 'Smear'

Following the cancellation of the Bolton vs Rangers game scheduled for Tuesday 25 July on the advice of Greater Manchester Police, the Rangers Supporters' Trust strongly deplores today's inaccurate, sensationalist and deliberately provocative articles by Keith Jackson of the Daily Record and his counterpart in the Daily Mirror. Unlike professional, responsible journalists at the Daily Express and Evening Times who contacted both Greater Manchester Police and the Trust before going to print, The Record and The Mirror instead demonstrate classic traits of gutter journalism.

Ignoring the truth reported by the BBC and all other media outlets including The Sun; i.e. there are inadequate police numbers available to police the game - these newspapers instead chose to print unfounded propaganda in a futile attempt to smear the Rangers support.

They deliberately ignored the exemplary behaviour of Rangers fans at fixtures in Fulham, Ipswich, Bradford, Belfast and as recently as 1 May this year, when 13,000 Rangers fans went to a Bank Holiday game in Derby and were praised by Derbyshire Constabulary for their good behaviour. Instead, Keith Jackson referred to a game at Goodison Park more than 8 years ago where local hooligans rather than Rangers fans caused disorder. This is simply not acceptable.

We are therefore calling for a public apology to be made to the Rangers support by the journalists responsible. Should this not be forthcoming, the Trust will be asking Rangers Football Club to take the issue up with the publications responsible and we will independently pursue this matter via the Press Complaints Commission. The Trust will also give serious consideration to asking members to conduct a commercial boycott of these publications.

We also call on Bolton Wanderers FC to refund those Rangers fans now out of pocket due to their very late notice of this cancellation, given that they recently guaranteed the fixture would go ahead. The Trust warmly welcomes the move by Rangers FC to refund the money for tickets bought by fans.

Excellent Frankie - but once again The RST forced into doing Rangers' job for them. I wait for the day where something as factual and articulate would be a JOINT statement from the RST and Rangers Football Club.... One can dream!

Cammy F

Unbelievable, I can't believe this paper continues to get away with printing this bulls***e.

Surely there must be laws against this?

I've travelled abroad to watch the Gers a few times, i was in Belfast the other week, my brother was at the Newcastle friendly and never have we ever seen any trouble involving Rangers supporters, we only ever experienced good natured banter with locals and opposing fans. So articles like this make me so angry cos I know there are muppets out there that will read this rubbish and believe it because it's printed in a national paper.

Email sent to Mr Jackson. Now the fact I actually work with the Police - all 52 Forces I thought I would call the said force - spoke to a guy who will remain nameless, but who was a Gers supporter - said it was due to the unknown numbers of fans attending that the Force could not provide enough Officers - Straight from the Bobbie's Mouth - FACT.

As follows..

Mr Jackson,

I would ask that if you have nothing good to write about Rangers FC, then I ask that at least you put information that is correct in your column.

Supporters of Rangers FC have not been the cause of the cancellation of the friendly between Bolton Wanderers FC, but the fact that there is a lack of resource in the force over that period. Also the fact that there are many thousands of Rangers fans who live south of the border who would be attending the game means the true numbers of Officers required to attend to ensure the safety of all attending cannot be met by the Force.

If you wish to have this information substantiated please call the GMP Force who will correct you and indeed provide a statement to you for printing in your column.

Regards,

J. Wilson.

I've just read this article from the Bolton Evening News. They're going with the same story as the record. :confused: :confused:

http://www.boltoneveningnews.co.uk/wanderers/wanderersnews/display.var.839307.0.police_call_off_rangers_friendly_at_the_reebok.php

No it isn't.

The Record suggested the game was called off because of the Rangers fans 'threat'

This article, correctly, says it's because of resources.