Trust Expresses Outrage at Record and Mirror 'Smear'

Wija, I am not doudting your source, but surely GMP have dealt with bigger crowds than the 25,000 or so that were going to be at The Reebock? Man U regularly get 65,000+ fans and I would imagine that the Police have policed Manchester derbies, Man U v Liverpool games and top European games.

If it was due to lack of resource, why wasn't the game rescheduled to a date where they had the resourse? Or why did they originally agree to the game? They must have known then how many fans we would bring down. Recently, we have taken 10-15,000 fans to Ipswitch, Derby, Newcastle, London etc with no problems what so ever.

GMP force is the 2nd biggest in the UK....there is something fishy here or maybe I'm just being paranoid

PS - good email tho! be interesting to see if you get a response!

Cammy F

Wija, did you use the email address Frankie listed ? My email bounced back.

I wrote a novel unfortunately.

Mr Jackson,

It is with complete dismay that I email you this morning regarding your article on the cancellation of the above game.

May I ask, did you actually make any attempt to find evidence to support your accusation that the reason Greater Manchester Police cancelled the above game was because Rangers fans are a "threat" ? I doubt you did given that GMP have confirmed that they did not believe that Rangers fans were a "threat" at all.

Your sensationalistic article is nothing more than an antagonistic attempt to slight the good name of Rangers, just what is your agenda Mr Jackson. Unfortunately these type of reports (yes, it is inaccurate, disdainful and unprofessional given your complete lack of effort to substantiate your story) give nothing but credence to those who wish a bad name on the club and if you throw enough mud it may well stick Mr Jackson. However, it seems that you also fail to realise that such reports which have indeed been found to be inaccurate also make the reporter themselves look very unprofessional and, dare I say it, unethical (if such a term could possibly be used for a reporter of such a tabloid).

The quotation you have from GMP Bolton Division Chief Superintendent at no point mentions that they want nothing to do with Rangers travelling support - and you have allowed your journalistic licence to accuse Rangers and their fans of being a threat to public safety (he said public safety is always paramount) - just how does that make Rangers fans a "threat" ?? Ohhh, that's right, you can use that "journalistic licence" to suggest that this is what the Chief Super meant.

You use an aged example regarding the Everton vs Rangers game for arrests made prior to the game - did you make any attempts to substantiate whether these arrests were Rangers fans, Everton fans or both ? Did you make an attempt to find out where the trouble stemmed from ? I highly doubt it as the trouble was created from the home fans - but why let the truth get in the way of a good story ?

You also make an attempt to compare Rangers with Celtic fans - nice attempt to make the Celtic fans look holier than thou Mr Jackson - maybe you have forgotten all of the trouble that was caused by Celtic fans on their travels to Seville - the stabbings, the planes being re-directed, the fighting on ferries, the in-fighting ? But as long as the Celtic fans were allowed to travel to Manchester it makes a nice little comparison at the same time as trying to sully our good club's name.

For such an article to be appearing in a well-read paper is appalling and you, Mr Jackson, should be completely ashamed of your reporting in this instance. Do you not have enough professional pride to report the truth and not suppositions ?

Yours in disgust

Craig Gardiner

Wija, I am not doudting your source, but surely GMP have dealt with bigger crowds than the 25,000 or so that were going to be at The Reebock? Man U regularly get 65,000+ fans and I would imagine that the Police have policed Manchester derbies, Man U v Liverpool games and top European games.

If it was due to lack of resource, why wasn't the game rescheduled to a date where they had the resourse? Or why did they originally agree to the game? They must have known then how many fans we would bring down. Recently, we have taken 10-15,000 fans to Ipswitch, Derby, Newcastle, London etc with no problems what so ever.

GMP force is the 2nd biggest in the UK....there is something fishy here or maybe I'm just being paranoid

PS - good email tho! be interesting to see if you get a response!

Cammy F

Being a friendly, and also being in the middle of Summer Holidays

Quote "do these idiots think the Police don't get Summer Holidays"

Just telling what I was told mate.

Being a friendly, and also being in the middle of Summer Holidays

Quote "do these idiots think the Police don't get Summer Holidays"

Just telling what I was told mate.

Yeah, but surely they knew how many officers would be on duty/holiday when the game was being planned?

We played Newcastle a few pre-seasons ago where around 15,000 Rangers fans travelled to Newcastle. There Police were bound to have been on 'holiday' as well, but they managed - there was no trouble and both sets of fans had a great time.

Chelsea are playing Craptic in London in a few weeks time - this has the potential to be a riotous affair, yet this has been given the go-ahead. Will the MET have officers on holiday then?

Cammy F

Yeah, but surely they knew how many officers would be on duty/holiday when the game was being planned?

We played Newcastle a few pre-seasons ago where around 15,000 Rangers fans travelled to Newcastle. There Police were bound to have been on 'holiday' as well, but they managed - there was no trouble and both sets of fans had a great time.

Chelsea are playing Craptic in London in a few weeks time - this has the potential to be a riotous affair, yet this has been given the go-ahead. Will the MET have officers on holiday then?

Cammy F

They did mate - for 5000 Fans - they do not realise we are as big in Support as any team in the UK. And our fans will travel, unlike most. Manning for such things cannot go through the roof.

The Bolton game was actually arranged fairly late on.

At that point the GMP gave permission based on no more 5000 travelling bears. That number, because of the good weather, was expected to increase and the GMP (due to increased annual leave) didn't have the numbers to cope with the increase.

That's the reason and nothing else should be read into it - especially what Jackson suggested.

The Bolton game was actually arranged fairly late on.

At that point the GMP gave permission based on no more 5000 travelling bears. That number, because of the good weather, was expected to increase and the GMP (due to increased annual leave) didn't have the numbers to cope with the increase.

That's the reason and nothing else should be read into it - especially what Jackson suggested.

If that is the case Frankie / Wija, then this is what the Police should be telling the media rather than the the vague statement issued last night.

Cammy F

But they have said that. It's on the BBC website and in other papers.

What they said on the BBC website isn't what you put on your last post Frankie - thats what I meant - they should have fully explained that the game was going ahead as they had invisaged 5,000 travelling fans, but due to increased numbers, the game had to be cancelled.

Cammy F