By Andrew Dickson

STUART McCALL has revealed he wants to keep Rangers midfielder Dean Furman at Bradford on loan until the end of the season.

Dean Furman playing for Bradford CityThe City manager, an integral part of the Light Blues side which won nine league titles in a row, currently has the 20-year-old in his squad until January 5.

But he has been so impressed by the South African in his first few weeks at Valley Parade that he wishes to extend the arrangement by another four months.

Furman made his first League Two start for the Bantams on Saturday and played the full 90 minutes as they lost 2-0 at Shrewsbury Town.

With fellow midfielders Chris Brandon and Lee Bullock out injured, he now has a chance to establish himself in the side.

McCall said: "My thinking is that Dean is going to stay with us for the season because he has been a real asset.

"In a perfect world, he'll get into our team and do well and Rangers will do fantastically well without him up at Ibrox.Dean Furman

"If that happens, I'd love it if Walter (Smith) decided that because he was getting some decent coaching with us, he'd let us keep Dean.

"It is early days yet but with the competition for places at Rangers and Barry Ferguson still to come back, it's difficult to break in there.

"I know a lot can happen in a week in football, never mind three or four months, so we'll see what happens.

"We've not discussed anything like that and it would be no good for Dean to stay with us if he wasn't getting a regular game.

"But I'm sure he'll get a place in my side in the foreseeable future. If he performs the way he has been in training, he'll make a starting shirt his."