GMP Release Clarification of Earlier Statement

BEGINS

There has been some speculation as to the reasons behind the public safety concerns that led to the decision of Greater Manchester Police not to provide policing services at the match between Bolton Wanderers and Glasgow Rangers On Tuesday 25 July.

The agreed ticket allocation for Glasgow Rangers was 5,000. However, the club subsequently provided information that Bolton Wanderers should expect 12,000 fans to turn up for this event.

A review of intelligence surrounding the event indicated that these numbers may be further swelled by holidaymakers from the Glasgow region attending Bolton on the day from Blackpool.

Information provided by Glasgow Rangers indicated that in excess of 120 coach parties would be attending, which were not capable of being received at the Reebok stadium. A normal full Premiership fixture would attract no more than 17 coaches.

Given the uncertainty around accurate numbers of supporters attending, and the probability of many thousands of fans without tickets descending upon Bolton, it was not possible to further plan for this event within the margins of public safety that we normally employ.

Greater Manchester Police is highly experienced in policing football, having some of the largest teams in the country and the world based here, and our expertise in policing such events safely is outstanding. It is in this context therefore that this decision not to provide policing services was made.

ENDS

Jackson is looking rather silly now.

What worries me more than what he said is the fact people actually take him seriously - well, actually, that people take what they read in the paper in general as fact.

That worries me. Papers like the Record and the Sun are full of untruths and salacious garbage.

What worries me more than what he said is the fact people actually take him seriously - well, actually, that people take what they read in the paper in general as fact.

That worries me. Papers like the Record and the Sun are full of untruths and salacious garbage.

Agreed Danny - but no matter what it can sully the good name of our club - and we don't hear the same half-truths (actually outright lies) in regards to our neighbours across the city.

Biased reporting ? You bet !!

Exactly.

The problem is getting the message to the rather large apathetic majority. However, I know for a fact the RST are working very hard on that along with the club.

Change won't happen overnight but the wheels are turning.

A review of intelligence surrounding the event indicated that these numbers may be further swelled by holidaymakers from the Glasgow region attending Bolton on the day from Blackpool.

Who the fuck would want to goto Bolton for a day? :confused::D