By Andrew Dickson

CHRIS BURKE insists he can't even think about the day he pulls on a Scotland shirt again until he re-establishes himself at Rangers.

The winger has been out of action for six months because of an ankle problem but is edging closer to a comeback after a string of reserve outings.

Chris BurkeTwo years ago, Burke won two caps as the Scots won the Kirin Cup and he scored twice on his debut against Bulgaria.

As such, he'll look on with envy as the national team takes on Norway this weekend in a crucial World Cup qualifier at Hampden.

But as he waits to make his first Gers appearance since April, the 24-year-old admits he can't afford to look any further ahead than that.

Burke said: "Things are going well for me in the reserves and I'm very happy with the progress I'm making.

"My injury feels a lot better and it is good that my ankle is more stable now and close to 100% again.

"It can only improve with more games and the most important thing at the moment is for me to continue building up my fitness and getting that back.

"The more I play, the more that will happen. A few of my team-mates are away with Scotland this week and it is a great honour to play for your country.

"But my aim first and foremost is to get back into the Rangers team and that's what I need to be thinking about.

"Competition here is immense just now. Our squad is very big and there is a lot of talent throughout.

"It will be very difficult for me to get involved again because it's not just one or two players battling for places.

"There are three or four all going for the same spots all over the park and that means that if you're playing, you have to make the most of it.Chris Burke

"I'm happy with the way things are going for me just now and hopefully that continues to be the case when I'm fully fit and if I get my chance."

Burke is by no means the only person homing in on a first-team return, with captain Barry Ferguson also close to being available for selection again.

The winger has welcomed news that the skipper could come back as soon as next weekend against Dundee United after next Tuesday's reserve game with Hibs.

Burke added: "Getting Barry back will be a massive boost, both for him and for the club. He is our captain and has showed what he can do in the past.

"I'm sure when he comes back, he'll be determined to prove to everybody that he's back to his best again.

"From what I've seen of him in training, he looks as though he is back to normal again and I'm sure he'll be a great asset once more."

Well we definitely need a creative winger.

Is Burke that man? I doubt it so he's got a lot to prove to change my mind anyway...

Agreed Frankie, he deffinately has the talent..........question is does he have the hunger / desire ?, time for Burke to produce the goods, or GTF

This is one time that I (and probably quite a few others) am sad about being right. I thought he was asking for far too much money at the renewal of his contract and we should have just let him go as I couldn't see him justifying the cost.

I've also memories of the likes of Ricksen playing well till he gets a new contract and then having his form completely disappear, and with Burke's perceived attitude, not many are surprised he did the same.

I really wanted the wee man to do well for us but i think his chance has come and gone. He will hang about til we eventually pay him off. He had great potential at one point but he is far too inconsistent and added to the fact he is very injury prone then he just wont make the grade.

I remember Villareal coming to Ibrox a few years ago and Bukey was singled out as our main threat. How times change

I really wanted the wee man to do well for us but i think his chance has come and gone. He will hang about til we eventually pay him off. He had great potential at one point but he is far too inconsistent and added to the fact he is very injury prone then he just wont make the grade.

I remember Villareal coming to Ibrox a few years ago and Bukey was singled out as our main threat. How times change

His future is in his own hands mate,like you I would love to see the wee man reach his potential.

His contract is up in the summer so I doubt we'll be paying him off.

Agree, its time for the Chris Burke of old as we're crying out for natural width. Sadly I'm not sure Burke has the heart for it

His contract is up in the summer so I doubt we'll be paying him off.

Agree, its time for the Chris Burke of old as we're crying out for natural width. Sadly I'm not sure Burke has the heart for it

Ah didnt realise this. Even if we offer him to someone in January we could save some money on his wages

Guest damien
Well we definitely need a creative winger.

Is Burke that man? I doubt it so he's got a lot to prove to change my mind anyway...

He's a charlatan robbing us of �£13k a week, the only SPL player that goes down faster than Nakamura, the sooner we get shot of him the better.

Creative player? Yes he can be, but his consistency is abhorrent. The best he has done is 30 games in one season for us, his avg is 14 games a season since joining the first squad. Not good enough.