What Now for the Sectarian Songbook of Celtic Fans?

Not a Rangers topic per se but relevant to current affairs:

Only two weeks past Peter Lawwell and John Reid prevaricated to their shareholders (and anyone else made aware of their comments) that they only had a ‘tiny, tiny minority’ of fans who sung ‘political’ songs that are only offensive to ‘some’ people. Chairman John Reid also preferred to strangely concentrate on supporters of other clubs instead of addressing the very real issue of sectarianism within large sections of his own fan-base. His prevarication and ignorance has now been highlighted in the strongest terms by Strathclyde Police, the Procurator Fiscal and Scottish judicial system as a Celtic fan is convicted of religiously aggravated crimes.

What now for the sectarian song-book of Celtic fans?

For those unaware of the latest happenings, Celtic supporter Michael Devlin was convicted after wearing a t-shirt with ‘dirty horrible huns’ scrawled over the back of the clothing while being present near Ibrox on the night of the UEFA Cup Final (more info via ‘The Herald’ report here).

Considering that at last count Celtic sing at least four different songs about ‘huns’ – both home and away – it will be fascinating to see how , not only the Celtic administration handle this situation, but the SPL Disciplinary Committee, UEFA and Scottish police forces as the country’s courts system finally join Northern Ireland in declaring the term to be unlawful. Scarves featuring the ‘No Huns in Europe’ slogan have already been banned from stadiums this season so it is clear that behind the scenes work is being done to ensure parity is finally being bestowed upon the Celtic supporters who hypocritically complained about the use of the literally identical word ‘fen!an’. These complaints eventually resulted in similar censures for Rangers FC and their fans.

While it is obvious to any sane person that such terms may only be a result of local tribal rivalry as opposed to genuine sectarian hatred, Celtic supporters – led by Graham Spiers and other public figures – have set the temperature in this political climate so it will be interesting to view their reaction to one of their own being subject to the rules they asked for.

Going by comments in other articles, it seems as usual, deflect and deny is their usual tactic. Excuses are made about the origins of the term while they forget that it’s not just Rangers fans they sing it to but teams (and people) with perceived religious affiliations. A direct breach of the SPL Rules – not to mention the Criminal Justice Act – hence the earlier conviction.

One only needs attend any run of the mill SPL football match and you’ll hear the term being used again and again (“Artur Boruc Hates the Huns”, “Go Home Ya Huns”, ‘No Huns in Europe”, “Mike McCurry is a Hun” are just some songs with this vile word in them) . A cursory visit to any of their internet forums or fanzines also sees the term used frequently.

Add in the continuing disgusting and unacceptable ‘political’ songs glorifying the past sectarian activities of the IRA, then at last the offensive songbook of the Celtic bigots may at last be removed from football stadia. Is there really being progress made on this front? Will Celtic fans and Celtic FC be as progressive and as forward thinking as Rangers in their attack on the people who sing these songs of hate? Unfortunately, the denial from Lawwell and the deflection from Reid – as well as the faux defence of this discriminatory word from the less forward thinking of their fans - means there are still obviously more questions than answers at this stage.

But, I won’t apologise for saying, we told you so.

As ive stated before the whole sectarian argument FROM BOTH SIDES is tedious and boring. PLEASE LETS JUST TALK ABOUT THE FOOTBALL.Although i do disagree that within our support (and your own ) that it is a tiny minority .A minority ...YES but a substantial minority.

great read frankie - hopefully they'll reap what they sew, and after the whole of it everyone'll be the exact same humans they were at the start of the pointlessness but able to sing less.
Can i just say mate, 99% of Celtic fans dont care what Rangers fans sing and im pretty sure its the same with Rangers fans towards us,certainly the ones i know couldnt give a toss what we sing.In the real world people are worrying about mortgages and the like, instead of a few words in a couple of songs.

Can i just say mate, 99% of Celtic fans dont care what Rangers fans sing and im pretty sure its the same with Rangers fans towards us,certainly the ones i know couldnt give a toss what we sing.In the real world people are worrying about mortgages and the like, instead of a few words in a couple of songs.

I totally agree with you but unfortunately the media and the politicians are the ones who are mixing it up by trying to score points. The Celtic directors have unfortunately chosen to attack Rangers rather than sort out their own problems.

Disagree. There are a sizeable number who are making an issue of this. It's emerging into a bigger issue about freedom of speech etc.

You may not be concerned about it, but there are plenty who are, hence the articles written by Frankie and calscot etc, and the other work going on behind the scenes.

Disagree. There are a sizeable number who are making an issue of this. It's emerging into a bigger issue about freedom of speech etc.

You may not be concerned about it, but there are plenty who are, hence the articles written by Frankie and calscot etc, and the other work going on behind the scenes.

There are people who are constantly offended.Be they Catholic or Protestant ,Celtic fan or Rangers fan,Irish or Scottish ...... etc.Both camps have a section, who no matter what ,will find something that the other lot do,that offends them.You are correct about the freedom of speach aspect,people should have the right to speak their mind.Unfortunately in these PC times this is not permitted.

great read frankie - hopefully they'll reap what they sew, and after the whole of it everyone'll be the exact same humans they were at the start of the pointlessness but able to sing less.

Aye, bring on the days where you can't sing songs that have been sung for decades. I'm no bigot, but I've had my small share of enjoyment from singing TBB at Ibrox whether that's ironic or not.

Ricky, are you having a laugh or something?