From John McGarry in Aalborg, 22/11/2008

ALLAN KUHN has sensationally branded Celtic LUCKY and off-form.

The stand-in Aalborg boss cranked up the heat ahead of Tuesday�s make-or-break Champions League clash with the Hoops in Denmark with his blast.

The stakes could hardly be higher with the winner almost certainly guaranteed UEFA Cup football.

But despite Celtic racking up 11 straight SPL wins since losing to Rangers in August, the man who stepped up from No2 when Bruce Rioch was sacked feels his side are facing Celtic at just the right time.

He said: ââ?¬Å?I know people are saying this is the game Celtic will end their bad away run in the Champions League but thinking like that could be their main problem.

ââ?¬Å?We have a much better team than we did when we drew 0-0 at Celtic Park.

ââ?¬Å?They will still be favourites coming here because they have the experience in Europe. But so far they havenââ?¬â?¢t used that to get a win away from home. I think against Celtic itââ?¬â?¢s 50-50. They are a bigger name than us but thatââ?¬â?¢s all.

ââ?¬Å?I saw they beat the team who are bottom of the Scottish League just 2-1 last week.

ââ?¬Å?I think they were very lucky with the penalty and scored with just four minutes to go. So I think theyââ?¬â?¢re struggling a bit at the moment.ââ?¬Â

Despite a lack of superstars in his side, Kuhn believes his players can achieve the result that guarantees them European football in the New Year and will perhaps earn him an extended stay in the dug-out.

He added: ââ?¬Å?The club have told me Iââ?¬â?¢ll be in charge for six weeks then Iââ?¬â?¢ll probably be back as No2. But you never know what can happen in football.

ââ?¬Å?Of course, it would help my case if we could beat Celtic or Manchester United but itââ?¬â?¢s not all about those two games.

ââ?¬Å?We donââ?¬â?¢t fear anything. Our guys played in Europe last year against the likes of Spurs and Sampdoria so they have learned how to play. Thatââ?¬â?¢s why it didnââ?¬â?¢t surprise me when we got the draw in Glasgow.

ââ?¬Å?Weââ?¬â?¢re not afraid of Celtic because we have a lot of international players who have been involved in big games.

ââ?¬Å?If we make third in the group and the UEFA Cup it would be a massive achievement. At the start, we knew if we had the scenario of Celtic at home with everything still at stake, it would be a great opportunity.

ââ?¬Å?Now weââ?¬â?¢re there and we want to take it. We know if we beat Celtic weââ?¬â?¢re through and weââ?¬â?¢ll do everything we can to do it.

ââ?¬Å?It would be great to go into the winter training, in the cold and snow, knowing weââ?¬â?¢re in the next stage of the UEFA Cup. Itââ?¬â?¢s a massive match for us.ââ?¬Â

Kuhn only hopes his next experience of European football against a Scottish side is better than his first. He said: ââ?¬Å?I played for Lyngby against Rangers in 1992, trying to qualify for the Champions League. I didnââ?¬â?¢t play in the first leg at Ibrox because I was sick.

ââ?¬Å?I was back for the return but we lost 1-0 in Copenhagen. I managed to get Ally McCoistââ?¬â?¢s shirt that night.

ââ?¬Å?It was a great tie to play in and great experience for me as a youngster, going up against players like McCoist and Mark Hateley.

ââ?¬Å?Rangers were even bigger favourites to beat us then than Celtic are now so it wasnââ?¬â?¢t too much of a disappointment to lose.

ââ?¬Å?Thatââ?¬â?¢s the only time Iââ?¬â?¢ve played against a Scottish team, as a player or coach. But we know Scottish football well in Denmark, we always get the Old Firm games on TV.

ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢ve seen a few of Celticââ?¬â?¢s games recently and our scout was at the St Mirren match, so we know how theyââ?¬â?¢ll play. Even with a few injuries they still have a strong team. Theyââ?¬â?¢ve never won away from home in the Champions League and this could be our chance.ââ?¬Â

Aalborg have steadily climbed away from the foot of the Danish league since Kuhn took charge and the 40-year-old said: ââ?¬Å?It is incredible how quickly you learn in this game.

ââ?¬Å?In the first week you feel the adrenalin and youââ?¬â?¢re stressed, but after that you cope, you have to. We were second from bottom in the league when I took over, so it was important to move up. Weââ?¬â?¢re doing that now and weââ?¬â?¢re in the semi-final of the cup.

ââ?¬Å?Weââ?¬â?¢ve not lost yet since I took over and I can feel the confidence coming back into the squad.ââ?¬Â

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/82146/Aalborg-brand-Celts-weak-and-lucky.html