By Andrew Dickson

WALTER SMITH insists Hearts beat Rangers at their own game as they won 2-1 against the Light Blues at Tynecastle.

Strikes by Marius Zaliukas and Laryea Kingston in quick succession gave the Jambos a commanding lead midway through the first half.

Charlie AdamAnd although a Christos Karipidis own goal gave Gers a lifeline, the hosts packed their back line and held on to the three points despite having Lee Wallace sent off.

A defensive approach helped Smith's men so often last season and he was frustrated at seeing his side stopped by the same tactic.

He said: "Hearts did well but we made it easy for them and we didn't create an awful lot up front.

"That was surprising because we've made a lot of opportunities in previous matches but never came up with any of note many here.

"Hearts deserve credit. They had their players back in position and played very much in the manner we played in a number of games last season. They did very well.

"We spent the last hour of the game almost entirely in Hearts' half of the pitch but never really created any opportunities to score."

Smith was annoyed at the manner in which Rangers lost their goals, both of which came from poorly-defended set pieces.

And he refused to hide behind the excuse that having key players such as Kenny Miller and Kevin Thomson out was a reason for a second away defeat of the league campaign.Steven Whittaker

The manager added: "You're going to miss players of that quality but you're going to go through the season without some people and there are no excuses there.

"We're still good enough without them. I felt in the first 20 minutes or so that we struggled in a defensive sense by giving away too many fouls.

"That gave Hearts the opportunity to get the ball into our area and we ended up losing two goals from such situations.

"With the consistency Celtic have shown, any points that we drop are a blow to us and it certainly means the three Old Firm games left are ones where the pressure is on us.

"We deserve that because we didn't deal with set plays well today. Normally we defend well but against Dundee United we gave away two bad goals.

"Those little bits of inconsistency have plagued us in games and that has been costly for us."

Anyone think the likes of Archie Knox is missing in this regime? He would have given players pelters for poor games, yet I cant see Ally begin so honest or so effective and rather put the arm round the players shoulders.

How can he say rangers got beat at the own thing ffs did the bloody rangers team turn up today! it was like watching a kids game today the way they played! I .ll say one thing the reserves would have played better that that lot of useless fuckers!!!

How can he say rangers got beat at the own thing ffs did the bloody rangers team turn up today! it was like watching a kids game today the way they played! I .ll say one thing the reserves would have played better that that lot of useless fuckers!!!

I would go to the u 19's. The reserves get stuffed on a regular basis as well. Not strange since most are first team players.

No chance of a possible onslaught today? they had,nt a clue what to do with the ball! im really pissed off now I love to see myteam win and play good football but today was terrible! i hope we are not sitting 7 points behind before the old firm game but at this rate i would,nt be surprised if we are further adrift.