Rangers 2, Motherwell 1

by Amir Rashid

JOHN FLECK was on top form as Rangers dug out a vital win which keeps them hot on the heels of league leaders Hibs.

Fleck has only just returned from an injury lay-off but his quality shone through in a difficult game in bitterly cold conditions.

With leaders Hibs defeating Dundee United 3-0 on Friday, the Light Blues knew they could not slip up and they made a bright start.

After just two minutes a nice bit of skill by the young Englishman Kane Hemmings down the right, led to a cross in the box for Jamie Ness - whose shot went wide of the left post after being forced to shoot from an awkward angle.

Hemmings had the ball in the net minutes later but it was ruled out for offside and then Fleck began to dictate proceedings.

Fleck showed why he is so highly thought of on 15 minutes, when a mesmerising run down right left three opposing players in his wake before rounding the keeper and unluckily hitting the foot of the near post with his shot.

Moments later Fleck was involved again when his beautifully crafted through ball nearly released Isa Bagci through on goal but an excellent intervention from the Motherwell defender led to a corner instead.

The break-through came on 26 minutes when a perfect Fleck corner found Bagci unmarked on the six-yard line and his header beat the diving Steven Coutts.

Rangers were hungry for more goals and after the half hour a sweeping move by the champions led to Ness finding Gregg Wylde out wide who delivered an inch perfect cross that was headed just wide by Bagci.John Fleck

Motherwell's only decent chance in the first period came when Steven Lawless slid a ball in for Ryan Martin in the Rangers box - he pulled the ball back across goal but fortunately for Rangers there was no one there to meet it.

Fleck came desperately close to scoring in the early moments of the second half. He collected Chris Scott's clearance and his pace took him past the last defender before his shot was well saved low down by Coutts. The rebound fell back kindly to Fleck but he was unable to seize the opportunity.

Then in 51 minutes Bagci found Fleck on the edge of the box and he hammered a venomous strike that was tipped over the bar for a corner by Coutts.

Motherwell controlled the majority of possession in the second half, with most of Rangers attacks coming from breakaways. Motherwell however failed to create many goal scoring chances with their possession.

The Rangers defence was solid - tackling and clearing away any dangerous balls into the box.

Captain Ross Perry led by example at right back, with commanding central defenders Scott and Danny Wilson both playing their part.

Arturs Vaiculis's goal was tested on 72 minutes when Motherwell came forward in search of the equaliser. Substitute Calum Hendrie and Ryan Martin linked up on the edge of the box before the latter released a thumping shot to the top right corner that was excellently saved by Vaiculis

With 15 minutes left the Clydesdale Bank player of the month Wylde burst away down the left flank, before releasing a low cross along the Motherwell goal that found Archie Campbell who slotted the ball into the back of the net from close range.

Motherwell refused to admit defeat and came back at Rangers when Paul Slane skipped pass Ness near the corner flag and struck a shot from a tight angle that rattled Vaiculis's crossbar.

And in stoppage they got their consolation goal when Hendrie picked up the ball and ran with it into the box before finishing with a stunning strike into the top left hand corner of the Rangers goal.

RANGERS: Vaiculis; Perry, Wilson, Scott, Wylde; Ness, Hutton, Stirling, Fleck; Hemmings (Campbell), Bagci (Forbes)

No chance of Fleck getting a game then, I mean the lad is obviously playing good football the way it should be played :throwpc:

Edited by craig
Title change to correct player's name

To be fair, Fleck is just back from injury and needs games to regain his fitness - biy unfair on the lad of we pitch him straight into the first team after a lay-off.

However, like many Rangers fans, I don't believe under the current regime that players like Fleck will be given a chance. I fully expect Fleck to be sold to an SPL or English Championship side in the near future.

Cammy F

Rangers are killing me softly at the moment.

And me mate I just don't even feel the same about the team.

Years ago I used to always go to the u-18 and u-21 games and before that it was the reserve games with my sons and nephews, now it just doesn't seem worth the effort.

Aaron, Fleck, Efrem. 3 exiting young players with more talent in their pinky toes than Kyle Lafferty. Never gonna see them. Now I know you don't throw in the youth when things are bad. However, when things begin to appear hopeless as regards the wide positions, then even a fool would experiment. FFS Walt at least stick Novo back on one of the wings if you can't bring yourself to try someone younger.