Cammy F's Weekly Rants - Boyd And Miller ââ?¬â?? A Partnership To Win Us The League?

Boyd And Miller – A Partnership To Win Us The League?

Whilst the 7-1 romp on Saturday against 10-man Hamilton was a marked improvement on recent results, and given the fact that the team appeared to be more balanced than in recent times, it was the reappearance of the Boyd/Miller partnership that rightly captured the headlines and was the topic of conversation and debate post-match.

There is no doubting that the reintroduction of Davis, Papac and Beasley ensured that the team was balanced and that we had an outlet out-wide. Consensus on how effective Beasley is to the team is divided, but it can’t be denied that an outlet wide helps develop the play, negates the need to thump long and aimless balls forward and gains us possession and set-pieces at the business end of the pitch.

However as stated above, it was the strike partnership of Boyd & Miller who stole the show and the subsequent headlines. Boyd looks a better player whilst partnered with Miller, and some say the same is true about Miller. I would argue that point. Miller looked a better player when paired with Cousin (and vice-versa) but that ship has sailed and there can be little argument that the Miller / Boyd partnership is the most effective we have at our disposal.

Our second goal (Boyd’s first) on Saturday encapsulated this partnership to a ‘T’. Miller made an intelligent run, received the ball (on the deck!) from the midfield, played a sublime pass into Boyd’s path and Boyd dispatched the ball into the back of the net. Neither Boyd nor Miller would be placed into anyone’s ‘top strikers’ compilations, but they do have their strengths and they do appear to complement each other. This partnership will only continue to flourish if both keep fit, they are continually given quality service and if BOTH are kept in the starting 11.

To ensure that we continue to get the best out of Boyd / Miller, we must continue to play with at least 1 wide player in the team be it, Burke, Beasley or Aaron. We must also look at the effectiveness of the midfield as Ferguson and Mendes don’t appear to complement each other. Could the introduction of Edu be more beneficial until Ferguson regains full fitness? Or at least until the partnership develops into a workable solution? There were times even on Saturday that Mendes and Ferguson were out-muscled, out-played and out-manoeuvred by struggling Hamilton Accies.

Getting back to the question posed above, whilst Boyd and Miller will never come close to partnerships like Brand & Miller or Hateley & McCoist, if we continue to play to their strengths and they continue to develop this growing and fruitful partnership, they may just have enough ammunition to fire us to the SPL title.

I will say one thing, the next 3 games are critical if we are to have any chance of dethroning the MOPES. Victories against DUFC, Hibs and then the MOPES are critical and to ensure we get these victories, both Boyd and Miller have a huge responsibility in continuing scoring and playing well. However, I have an awful feeling that WS will throw us all a curve ball and will rethink his tactics and personnel for these games. Watch out for the reintroduction of the likes of Adam, McCulloch, Daily et al. In my opinion, WS will approach these games with a degree of caution and may even revert back to his 4-5-1 formation from last season.

Last Minute Winners

Whilst watching the excellent Everton v Aston Villa game yesterday, my thoughts were drawn not only to the ex-Gers on show (Arteta and Cuellar – Arteta had a decent game as did CC playing an unfamiliar right-back role – did MON graduate from the WS school of coaching!) but to the fact that, if my memory serves me correctly, we’ve not won a game for a while with a last minute winner.

The last game I can remember us winning in a dramatic, last minute fashion was when PLG was manager and Sebo slotted home to defeat Aberdeen at Ibrox. Now, off the top of my head, I can name various games prior to this when we’ve won with (what appeared to be) the last kick of the ball :

Lovenkrands in the Scottish Cup Final

Rod Wallace against DUFC at Tannidice

Jorg Albertz with a deflected shot to defeat Hearts 1-0 at Ibrox

Jorg Albertz with a rasper to defeat Hibs (eventually!) 4-3 at Easter Road (wonderful game that was)

In fact, it was considered that Rangers were the masters of winning from both unwinable positions - who can forget going 3-0 to Shelbourne in DA’s fist game and storming back to win 5-3, or trailing DAFC 2-0 on a cold, wet and dull evening (is there any other kind in Fife?) then winning 4-2 during AM’s reign - and the masters of late strikes.

It is always better to have a game won long before the last kick of the ball, but there is just something really satisfying wining a game (and a League Title) at the death. However, this skill may not have been as apparent as my memory suggest, it just appears that we used to win many games in this manner and appear not to be doing so recently.

Atmosphere

Last weeks rant was entitled ‘Groundhog Day’ and whilst we appear to be discussing the same failings month on moth, season on season etc, we’ve not had a discussion regarding the (lack of) atmosphere for a while, so here goes.

Anyone who is a regular visitor to Ibrox will know that there is little atmosphere generated out-with the dedicated ‘singing sections’. It is hard to deny that TBO, East Enclosure, Club Deck Loyal et al are welcome additions to Ibrox (for their banners, displays and wit as well as their singing) but they are hardly helped by the rest of the stadium. It appears that supporting Rangers today entails turning up to Ibrox, shouting abuse at Rangers players then buggering off after 70 minutes. Now, before going on, everyone is entitled to leave when they want and to sing if they want, but surely it would be more beneficial to actually SUPPORT the team in song and by staying the course, rather than abusing them and leaving early.

Another thing I have noticed recently is that if the rest of the stadium are going to join in, they’ll only really join in when songs like ‘Big Jock Knew’, ‘The Famine Song’, ‘The Sash’ and ‘Derrys Walls’ are sung. When Rangers songs are sung, it appears to be reserved for TBO. I find this infuriating and can’t understand why others don’t join in with the many wonderful Rangers songs. There is nothing better when we are in full voice singing the likes of ‘The Blue Sea Of Ibrox’, ‘Every Other Saturday’ and ‘Follow Follow’. Also, I can’t be the only one who thinks and would love to hear 50,000 Bears singing ‘Wolverhampton Town’.

So come on Bears, we are entering a crucial part of the season and the team need (and deserve) our support, so lets get behind them, lets get those vocal chords stretched and lets get Ibrox rocking. I’m sure opposition teams love a morgue-like Ibrox but wouldn’t be as assured in a cauldron-like Ibrox.

Cammy F – :rfc:

Great points as always mate...

With regard to your last minute winner subject, I think such a thing comes down to character, commitment, bottle and a smidgeon of luck. I think we're lacking in all 4 virtues so that might explain why such winners are so few in recent times.

I think Boyd and Miller compliment each other fantastically well and they are the best attacking option we have available to us at present. However, when the service to these 2 is poor we run out of ideas on how to create chances.

OK, Miller didn't play at Swinecastle but look at the way we tried to create chances there. Big long punts upto Boyd or JCD which the 2 Jambo CBs cleared up with ease.

So, yes the partnership of Boyd and Miller can win us the league but WS and his tactics play a huge part too.

I think Boyd and Miller compliment each other fantastically well and they are the best attacking option we have available to us at present. However, when the service to these 2 is poor we run out of ideas on how to create chances.

OK, Miller didn't play at Swinecastle but look at the way we tried to create chances there. Big long punts upto Boyd or JCD which the 2 Jambo CBs cleared up with ease.

So, yes the partnership of Boyd and Miller can win us the league but WS and his tactics play a huge part too.

As I alluded to before, of the partnership, Miller would still be the easiest to replace for me. A fit and on form JCD (or even Novo) should be able to provide the same foil for Boyd that Miller does, and if the rest of the team were on form there is no reason why we could not have played the same style if we hadn't resorted to long ball.

As I alluded to before, of the partnership, Miller would still be the easiest to replace for me. A fit and on form JCD (or even Novo) should be able to provide the same foil for Boyd that Miller does, and if the rest of the team were on form there is no reason why we could not have played the same style if we hadn't resorted to long ball.

Can't agree, JCD hasn't shown either the passing ability, the knowledge of off the ball running, or the goal-scoring that Miller has shown so far this season.

As for Novo, as much as I love the wee man, his best season was the helicopter season playing upfront with Prso - that season apart, he hasn't been consistant enough. Great 'impact' player tho.

Cammy F

That was the reason for the "on-form" comment regards JCD.

I just don't think that the run around/works hard striker is hard to replace and don't see why we need to resort to longball just because Miller is out of the team. We might be less effective but not to the extent that we need to change our style of play.

That was the reason for the "on-form" comment regards JCD.

I just don't think that the run around/works hard striker is hard to replace and don't see why we need to resort to longball just because Miller is out of the team. We might be less effective but not to the extent that we need to change our style of play.

It might not be, but untried and untested partnership is a risk IMO - it appears that Boyd and Miller have an understanding and are looking like a genuine partnership - that element may be harder to replace.

Cammy F