We can claw title back from Celtic-LEE McCULLOCH

LEE McCULLOCH last night insisted the shattered Rangers dressing room will have to prove they are men if they are to beat the Bhoys to the title this season.The midfielder, an unused sub as Celtic opened up a seven-point gap with their weekend win at Ibrox, spoke on behalf of his team-mates who were too gutted to conduct media interviews in the aftermath of the game.McCulloch admitted Rangers face a huge task in trying to prevent their rivals clocking up their fourth title in a row.But the midfielder is adamant Walter Smith's squad believe they can launch themselves on an unbeaten run that can see them wrest the championship from Gordon Strachan's grasp - even if the Ibrox support have all but given up following their team's 1-0 reverse, their first home defeat in more than a year.McCulloch said: "The dressing room is quite low at the moment but I don't think it's impossible for us to claw back seven points."Celtic did it to us last season. We won't stop fighting and we will be back on the training ground on Monday, working hard for it and believing we can get the points back and hopefully win the title."We need big characters but there are a lot of personalities in that dressing room. We need everybody pulling together. That won't be a problem but the loud ones need to get louder and the ones who are not so loud need to stand up as well. We all need to put an extra yard on to our game."I think a lot of fans might have chucked it now but in the dressing room, we haven't. We still believe we can put a run together and get it back. If they can do it to us,we can do it to them."Boss Smith reckons Rangers might have to go undefeated for the remainder of the season and the player didn't disagree with that honest assessment of the situation.He added: "I think we have to look at going unbeaten. We can't afford to drop silly points away from home again. Our home record has been good up until today and we will be looking to get that form back. We are a good enough team to do it. We believe in each other."McCulloch felt there was nothing between the teams on Saturday but conceded that Scott McDonald's superb winner always looked enough to win the match.He said: "I thought it was a bit of a nothing game but the goal changed it and gave them the upper hand. To be fair, they held out well. We had a couple of half chances but everybody is disappointed."I wouldn't say they were any better than us but at the end of the day they scored the goal that won it."The midfielder, who has also had a spell at centre back this season, refuted any suggestion that Rangers - who came so close to winning the title last term and reached the UEFA Cup Final have gone backwards.He said: "I don't think so. I don't know if we are a better team than last year yet, because it's not the end of the season.Maybe we are more pleasing on the eye."I think we've progressed with the signings we've made. They've been quality and it is all about clicking and gelling together."McCulloch has recovered from a serious ankle injury and now aims to push for a regular first-team spot in the problem left midfield slot at Ibrox.He said: "You want to play in the big games and I did that last season. I've tried several positions and wherever the gaffer wants me to play I'll do it."The injury set me back and it's hard getting match-fit. If you aren't getting on, how can you get match-fit? It's a bit of a Catch-22. But I'm working hard so hopefully I'll get a chance sooner or later."I'm pain free. It's all about getting games and getting my match sharpness back. But I'll get that through time."McCulloch has no plans to move on in January, despite being linked with Stoke City. He said: "I don't know about that.There was speculation at the start of the season but I heard nothing. We'll wait and see what happens but I want a few more medals and a few more games."I would love to stay here. I want to be part of putting a run together and winning the league."McCulloch has taken stick from a section of the Rangers support and had a word of praise for a team-mate who has yet to convince fans he is worth the �£3million Smith paid Burnley for the services of Kyle Lafferty.He said: "It's not his fault he cost that amount of money. He's a quality player - he's got pace, he's got everything and maybe if he believes in himself a little bit more he'll go right to the top."Rangers as a whole must bounce back from the Old Firm defeat and McCulloch insists they will do just that.He added: "We go to Inverness next and we know that will be a hard game but we have to take it one at a time. As long as we get three points that's all that matters."

First Adam and now McCulloch. I wish they would show it on the park at not in the papers.

Guest TrueBlue86

The amount of times I've heard 'We will fight and we won't give up' is an embarrassment. We shouldn't be so far behind in the first place and as far as I'm concerned its just the usually bullshit they hit us with when we are behind in the title race. Fuck you McCulloch you pathetic failure. It's players like you that have turned my club into an absolute nightmare, Now go away and take Charlie Adam with you arsehole.

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding this sort of thing deeply patronising. It's like being forced to read the Rangers News. Do they think we are all complete idiots?

It is indeed 'deeply patronising'. But it's really the newspaper desperately trying to fill their column inches when there is nothing concrete to report.

It is indeed 'deeply patronising'. But it's really the newspaper desperately trying to fill their column inches when there is nothing concrete to report.

You're right of course, there are always two sides to a newspaper story. However, if the club or these players were in anyway concerned about how these sort of articles came across then there would be no articles.

It's no doubt also the case however that the papers actively target players who could be said to have the greatest need to communicate with the fans - but also the least justification for doing so.