Mattias Bjarsmyr, captain of Sweden's Under-21 side, is the latest centre-back to come to Rangers' attention as Walter Smith, the manager, seeks defensive reinforcements.

The IFK Gothenburg player, capped twice by the senior national team, joins Tonel, the Sporting Lisbon centre-back who is Smith's preferred option, and Martin Stranzl, the Austrian internationalist at Spartak Moscow, as potential transfer window targets.

Bjarsmyr, 22, has also attracted the attention of three clubs from the Dutch Eredivisie - AZ Alkmaar, Groningen and Feyenoord - as well as Salzburg, leaders of Austria's Bundesliga, and Belgium's Jupiler League leaders Anderlecht.

Incoming transfers will be dependent upon Smith offloading up to 10 fringe players, of whom only Jean-Claude Darcheville, who has signed for Valenciennes, is definitely leaving.

Another who could go is Andrius Velicka, the Lithuanian signed for �£1m during the summer, who could return to his former club Hearts on loan to the end of the season.

Csaba Laszlo, the Hearts manager, would welcome the arrival of Velicka, 29. The striker would not be allowed to play against the Ibrox men but could face Celtic, against whom he has an impressive scoring record.

Vladimir Romanov, Hearts' majority shareholder, has rid FBK Kaunas, his Lithuanian club and conquerors of Rangers in a Champions League qualifier in August, of the man who masterminded that success, the Belarussian manager Andrei Zygmantovic.

Kaunas were successful in the Lithuanian cup and the Baltic league, but were only runners-up in the domestic league. Eugenijus Riabovas, a local coach, takes over.

Velicka another million down the toilet pan. Well done Walter your bargain buy's are worse than my wife's.

Anyone have alarm bells of the last Centre Half signing from Gothenborg ringing?

- fair play tho, the guy might be decent enough.

The Velicka news is shocking - was talkin about the waste of money on the radio at the weekend and along with him, they counted that Smith had wasted 7M in the summer on players who so far have failed to make the grade, Edu, Lafferty and Velicka anyway - bloody scandalous.

Another waste of money we can hardly afford without giving the guy a chance what was the point, I wouldn't give WS anymore money to waste.

I see Webster has came back from his loan spell, I wonder if he'll get a chance, I don't see why not!

Another waste of money we can hardly afford without giving the guy a chance what was the point, I wouldn't give WS anymore money to waste.

I see Webster has came back from his loan spell, I wonder if he'll get a chance, I don't see why not!

I've not heard if Webster is back, but if he is and he is fit then he will get a chance when Bougherra leaves