Old Firm whistler to be first pro ref in Scotland

CRAIG Thomson is to make history by taking a huge step towards becoming Scotland's first-ever professional referee.

Thomson, who took charge of the Old Firm game at Ibrox on Saturday, has quit his job as a lawyer with city firm Maclay, Murray & Spens.

The 36-year-old is keen to devote more time and energy to his role as a senior SFA, Uefa and Fifa official.

The bulk of his working week will be dedicated to training and preparing for the Scottish, European and international games he is involved in.

advertisement

Craig said: "I was finding it increasingly difficult to juggle my work as a construction lawyer with my refereeing commitments. I had a number of clients whose needs I had to balance with my football.

"This year I have had 25 days off over and above my holiday entitlement. I was off for around 60 days and half of that was unpaid leave. I needed the extra time to fulfil my duties with Uefa."

The Paisley man, who will maintain other business interests, explained his new work plan: "I was on secondment with Forth Electrical Services in Stirling earlier this year and they have asked me to come and work for them two days a week.

"It suits me as I will be able to concentrate more on football. It will be interesting to chart my progress.

"I am sure it will benefit me. I will be fitter, fresher and more prepared for each game I take charge of."

Thomson's decision to go part-time takes him into line with the leading referees in the Barclays Premier League.

Thomson explained: "I speak to the top referees down in England fairly regularly. They are classified as full-time professional referees, but that is not really the case. For example, Mike Riley is an accountant to trade and he still works two days a week.

"The only one, in fact, who is strictly speaking full-time is Howard Webb. He is a policeman who has taken a five-year career break to concentrate on refereeing. The other guys all still have jobs."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2478456.0.0.php

I thought he had a terrible game on Saturday and is an averge ref IMO, maybe this will help him maybe it won't!!