SDM and Rangers Fans - Of Mice and Men

It has been a few weeks since my last article. Christmas, New Year, birthdays, holidays and, of course, a tame Old Firm home defeat resulted in an enforced absence from the online forums for yours truly. There is only so much OTT criticism, anguish and upset that one can take when Rangers lose and I was depressed enough without the usual online debates spoiling my winter break.

The rise in popularity of online forums and the strong debates contained within them is a fascinating topic though. The subject has provoked comment from a wide range of people: from journalists who mock them (yet take part in and host polemic radio phone-ins); to authority figures who have to deal with their email campaigns; all the way to Sir David Murray who has complained vocally several times now about their content – describing the content as offensive ‘bile’ as well as recently referring to the authors as ‘mice’.

Funnily enough one understands his point of view to a degree. Some people are rather extreme in their opinions with their musings often flawed and unfair. Indeed, it could be argued the overall mood can be one of isolation, suspicion and paranoia. I myself find it easy to write something that afterwards I may find different to my true feelings. Forum posting (or article writing) can often be the ‘literal’ equivalent of jumping in with both feet so it is important to take a step back on occasion, have an extra breath and consider the whole issue before offering a view.

Nonetheless, it is also unwarranted of journalists, authority figures and especially Murray to dismiss these places and/or generalise them and their users unfairly. After all we’re still fans of the club and the vast majority are honest and well-meaning in their opinions – even if frustration and negativity can cloud judgement from time to time. And this is where John Steinbeck and my questionable Standard Grade English Literature metaphors are relevant.

It was in late November that Sir David Murray referred to some fans he’d met as mice. He felt that despite their criticisms on websites, they were quite different when in person. And to some extent he is right. I speak from personal experience of just how difficult it can be to work with someone like Murray. We’ve met now on several occasions and it certainly isn’t easy to justify one’s contrary position on certain issues to an intelligent, charismatic, successful businessman like the Rangers chairman. Far stronger-willed people than me have been left floundering by this man so of course caution is taken when formal debate takes place. Nevertheless, I’d also like to think Murray would concede these debates have been constructive in the past even if we may never agree on some of the issues.

And that’s why his comments of last year were so disappointing. Sure, he may not get on personally with some fans but he must surely realise it is for the good of the club that supporter relations must be maintained at all times. More so in the face of current adversities.

In the same interview Murray stated that he’d ‘been here for 15 per cent of the club's history and won 30 per cent of our trophies. Maybe they've overstayed their welcome.’ This comment really is quite incredible and does nothing to improve the problems which are obvious at our club. Of course he is entitled to point to his successes but to suggest the critics of the status quo (namely increasing debt, three years without a league win and constant attacks on our fans/club) are disloyal or should remove their support of the club is indefensible. Further, when one considers how he often refuses to defend our good name (and by association his) when we are slighted in the media; it makes these internal fights all the more galling.

In the late 1930s shortly after the publication of ‘Of Mice and Men’, Steinbeck wrote that:

“In every bit of honest writing in the world there is a base theme. Try to understand men, if you understand each other you will be kind to each other. Knowing a man well never leads to hate and nearly always leads to love. There are shorter means, many of them. There is writing promoting social change, writing punishing injustice, writing in celebration of heroism, but always that base theme. Try to understand each other.”

These themes are all applicable to what is happening at Rangers. Despite his protestations, the ‘best laid schemes’ of Sir David Murray’s Rangers have ‘gang aft agley’. That’s not unreasonable criticism nor bile nor someone saying something they wouldn’t in person. It’s just a reasonable observation from looking at Murray’s overall 20 years in charge of the club. Yes, he deserves praise for the stats he quotes above but, of course, he also deserves criticism for the current situation.

To conclude, I want to take this opportunity to wish Sir David Murray a Happy New Year. I also want to say that if he wants to talk ‘of mice and men’ then he doesn’t take umbrage at his critics’ views but accept the challenge, try to understand us better and know us well. Thus, let’s work together to address the club’s problems. That would be the action of a man. Using the media to join with them in dismissing our valid concerns without supplying credible means to debate our feedback isn’t.

Indeed, such ill-conceived actions are that of one who enjoys cheese with their French wine.

Edited by Frankie

It would be interesting to know who Murray is referring to as mice. Is it the RST or the Assembly or someone else?

It is unfair to criticise people as such. It depends on the purpose of the meeting. If I meet with Murray for some reason and I want to get something from the meeting then it makes sense not to sit and criticise him to his face. However if the purpose of the meeting is to discuss the running of the club then that's a different matter.

It's also about trying to maximise the outcome of the meeting and not going along just to boost your ego or profile. There are some who have fallen into the trap of the latter in the past, but perhaps those who haven't can be described as mice but have had more productive meetings.

There is also the matter of giving him the respect that his position deserves.

He is obviously prickly about criticism, and probably more so when it's valid. He can see where things are going and is possibly panicing a bit which resulted in him losing discipline and hitting out.

Or is he just having a dig at the RST in respect of their meeting with him in June? If so, it's a bit obscure for most people.

Difficult to tell mate both in his references to bile and mice...

I think we'd both hazard a guess at who he means but that's because you and I (and others) are aware of certain issues - past and present.

For offline fans it gets quite cryptic and only lends weight to the argument that Rangers fans offend are are incapable of providing worthy feedback and comment on how the club is run.

SDM shouldn't be frightened of criticism but look to accept the challenge and address the concerns. Instead he seems to have become bogged down in trying to maintain his own reputation as opposed to leading from the front by defending not only himself but us and the club.

It's this kind of poor leadership that creates division. I hope he looks back at the last few months and realises his comments won't help the club or his own personal situation of wanting out.

Edited by Frankie

Totally agree. The problem is that he has been showing this poor leadership for years and there doesn't seem to be any signs of this changing.

Yeah, he had a pop at John Reid for breaking an unwritten rule but that is it, despite his assurances that he was going to get more involved with the press etc this season.

When David Murray meets with supporters representatives is it always in his home territory, Charlotte Square Murray park or Ibrox Stadium. Would he meet up with supporters on their/our home ground, say, just for example, The Louden Tavern or my house. No he wouldnt.

Does anyone here feel offended, like me, when David Murray says after some defeat or another, No one hurts more than me when Rangers lose. I say statements like that are offensive to grass roots supporters, equally so his pal Mr Advocaat, who said before the Uefa Cup Final, I am a Rangers supporter, once a Rangers supporter always a Rangers supporter. Aye Right, the only rangers supporter in the Universe who did not want Rangers to win the Uefa Cup.

Murray doesn't have a big enough car to park in Bluedell's drive... ;)

I don't actually question Murray's support of the team in many ways. You'd be surprised at just how much he does know about the club and the passion he shows when talking about it. Unfortunately, unlike you or I, his passion for his overall business is stronger so, rightly or wrongly, Rangers are not always the focal point of his life and investments.

He's not any different from any other football owner in the respect but perhaps if he left out the patronising stuff and kept his 'support' realistically non-emotional, fans would be less inclined to associate his personal wealth with that of investment in the club.

Murray is a difficult person to read and that's why many fans are so emotional when it comes to their opinions on him.

I don't think I would want the Chairman of Rangers going to the Louden to meet fans.

The position of Chairman requires respect and him going to places like the Louden would only demean the position.

Yes I accept that. What i mean is for him to go to where the ordinary supporters are.

Murray doesn't have a big enough car to park in Bluedell's drive... ;)

I don't actually question Murray's support of the team in many ways. You'd be surprised at just how much he does know about the club and the passion he shows when talking about it. Unfortunately, unlike you or I, his passion for his overall business is stronger so, rightly or wrongly, Rangers are not always the focal point of his life and investments.

He's not any different from any other football owner in the respect but perhaps if he left out the patronising stuff and kept his 'support' realistically non-emotional, fans would be less inclined to associate his personal wealth with that of investment in the club.

Murray is a difficult person to read and that's why many fans are so emotional when it comes to their opinions on him.

Yes , he is primarily a business man thats what comes first, and no I wouldnt want to be in the position of trying to please everbody connected with Rangers

Pleasing everybody is impossible.

But ensuring the club is run efficiently to realise it's maximum potential is possible.

As it stands Rangers FC is not realising it's potential. For that to be the case after 20 years in the job is extremely disappointing. More so when the chairman won't recognise it while trying to leave at the same time.

Unfortunately not enough fans acknowledge that. And the ones that do are made out to be crackpots by the recipient of our valid criticisms.

Meanwhile we lurch from one crisis to the next with the very future of the club in question.