January Competition - Win a Copy of 'The Rangers Miscellany'

In conjunction with our friends at Vision Sports Publishing, we have two copies of the following fantastic book available to win.

The Rangers Miscellany

By Robert McElroy

Why are Rangers really nicknamed the Light Blues (it's not because of the colour of their shirts)? In which year did the club win every single one of its league matches? Find out in the all new Rangers Miscellany. Packed with stats, facts, lists, quotes and stories from the rich and illustrious history of the famous Glasgow club, this neat and fully illustrated hardback book also includes a full colour kits section, a complete history of the club's home and away kits.

Buy here via the Vision Sports website.

To be in with a chance of winning one of 2 copies of this superb book, please pm me with the name of the player who scored Rangers first goal of 2009.

Entries accepted until midnight on 31st January. Admin decision is final.

Book Review by Pete

After being asked to review 'The Rangers Miscellany', the wait for it hitting the floor behind the letterbox seemed to take an age. One week to be exact. Extracting it from the packaging, a blue hardback book with a red binding and white lettering emerged.

'The Rangers Miscellany' is a book written by Robert McElroy, who is the editor of The Rangers Historian magazine. The book starts with a foreword by John Greig MBE who gives a short summing up of his Rangers career. His foreword ends with ââ?¬Å?This is more than a football club, it is an Institution that means so much to so many people worldwide. Even today more than half-a-century after I first gazed on the imposing faÃ?§ade that is the main stand at Ibrox Stadium it still gives me a thrill every time I turn into Edmiston Drive.ââ?¬Â These are Great words from a great man, with a true Rangers heart.

The book is precisely what the title suggests, a fascinating collection of facts, statistics, quotes and short stories. It includes many stories of past Rangers legends, from Tom Vallance(1873-84) through to Ally McCoist(1983-98) and Richard Gough(1987-98). Many of the legends are still household names even today.

Some of our greatest European nights are also relived, including our Cup Winners' Cup win in Barcelona. Rangers Managers are highlighted from William Wilton to Walter Smith and a history of our stadiums from turning up early at Flesher�s Haugh to claim the pitch, to having the most modern stadium in Europe. These main topics are surrounded by a collection of miscellaneous facts, figures and quotes.

This is not a book that you have to torture yourself to put down in my opinion. In fact after a number of pages my head was so swimming in facts and figures that I just had to put it down. It is more like a whisky you have to sip rather than a beer you can guzzle down. This is a book for the connoisseur of Rangers history.

I enjoyed the book as I can relate to many of the names and stories through my own experiences and the stories of my father. I do believe it is a book for the supporter who is interested in our clubs history. Not for someone who wants an enthralling, suspenseful read. Nonetheless it makes for an excellent companion and you'll find yourself enjoying the trivia when in the company of fellow fans!

:rfc:

• 2 weeks later...