Happy New Year? Not If You�re A Ranger�.

2009 was merely hours old when we, the Rangers support got an insight into how fraught this year is going to be. It is not merely the fact that we are willing to sell our top scorer (for Ã?£3.5M), but the indication that ALL of our players are being hocked around by ‘agent’ McLies. It appears that Mr Bain has been caught with his trousers round his ankles, and Mr Murray has kicked his exposed arse for his comments to McLies. Now, trying to decipher the words of three untrustworthy sources (SDM, Bain and McLies), it does appear that Bain informed McLies that Rangers would be open to offers for some of our ‘star players’. McLies saw this as a green light to hock our players to EPL clubs, SDM denied this part, but refused to deny that we are trying to sell at least one player. Bain has had his arse kicked when in reality, he should have been sacked (a novel way to save many precious pound notes Mr Murray). The whole episode is a mess, and highly embarrassing.

So where exactly are we? Well, the facts speak for themselves – we appear to have a requirement to generate circa Ã?£4M pounds immediately. The easiest way to raise this money is to sell an ‘asset’. Problem for us is due to a decades worth of asset stripping by SDM, the only assets we have left are Ibrox and our players. The reason for this urgent requirement are not forthcoming – SDM doesn’t like to keep us abreast with what’s happening behind the scenes, but we aren’t selling players other than it being a necessity. Now, the arguments and merits of who should be sold have been the major talking point since the news regarding the Boyd to Birmingham story broke. It appears that the fans want Boyd to stay, but at what cost? Is keeping Boyd worth losing Pedro Mendes? Let’s fact facts here, we are going to lose at least one of our top players in this transfer window as Bain appears to be nowhere close to shifting the 10 fringe players we MUST remove from the books.

Another worrying sound-bite from Rangers is that we only require to move on one top player this transfer window. What happens in the summer, if our worst fears are recognised and we finish 2nd again and don’t ensure automatic qualification to next seasons CL? Will be then be forced to sell more of our top players to ‘balance the books’? I would say this would be a highly likely scenario. However, Kris Boyd’s refreshing reluctance to leave Rangers highlights another issue. What if we CAN’T sell a player for the required fee? This is why we must be told the reason as to why we require this money so urgently and be informed if we have a ‘plan B’ (I know, I know, SDM doesn’t have a plan A never mind a plan B). I think we all realise that we need this money to keep the bank from our door. We currently have an overdraft of circa Ã?£25M with HBOS who are currently being taken over. Is this a token, goodwill payment to ensure that the bank don’t call in the entire overdraft? And what if they do call in the overdraft? These are worrying times people, with little or no answers / information forthcoming from our Custodian.

So as it stands today, we are no further forward and aren’t likely to be enlightened by the powers that be at Ibrox. There are claims and counter claims regarding Boyd and Birmingham, but in my opinion, this deal is dead (for the moment). Allan Hutton’s deal to Spurs was on then off, then back on again. The Hutton deal was different as there was enough profit for SDM to give Hutton a ‘sweetener’ or pay-off, depending on how you see it. The figures surrounding the proposed Boyd deal, given that Killie are due 20%, leaves little room for negotiation and Boyd will be unlikely to receive a sweetener. From what I know, he wouldn’t accept one anyway – he is living the dream, playing for the only club he wants to play for and holds all the aces here. I expect this deal will only be reconstructed if SDM can convince Boyd that him staying at Rangers will be more detrimental to the club than his staying.

Lets not kid ourselves here, at least one of our top players will leave as well as (hopefully) as many as 10 ‘fringe’ players. This may depend on us ‘waving’ fees for these players like we did with Burke. This exercise is to reduce the squad and the wage bill (tell me again why Martin Bain is still in a job, as this appears to be an annual ‘cull’). This off course will be not help our cause in trying to retain our domestic cups and in our efforts to regain the SPL title but financial mismanagement (again) is forcing our hand and will eventually herald the requirement to sell more players IF we don’t win the SPL thus guaranteeing CL monies next season.

The most frustrating point in this whole sorry mess is that there is nothing we can do to resolve this situation. SDM is in control until he decides that it is time to sell up and move on. Some journalists are saying that this is the reason for the January cull, that a buyer has been found but they are unwilling to take over until the wage bill is deemed ‘manageable’. This is wishful thinking folks as I don’t think there is a buyer anywhere in site at the moment. This isn’t the time to be spunking 100’s of millions on a football club, even if the club is The Rangers. To have any success in moving SDM we must come together as a force. At the moment we are a disorganised, disjointed and disinterested support. We actually have to take our share of the blame for this current mess. We have sat back and let apathy rule and this has allowed SDM to continue his raping of the club.

Now, trying not be overly melodramatic, but this is as a serious financial situation that Rangers Football Club has been in. Most experts believe that it’ll get worse before it gets better and many companies and organisations are rethinking the value of investing in sport through sponsorship, so this avenue may also bleed dry in the near future. Could the early days of 2009 be remembered as the beginning of the end of Rangers Football Club? Only time and history will tell.

Cammy F :rfc:

Edited by CammyF

An excellent appraisal of the situation mate...

The sheer lack of alternatives is the most worrying thing here. To deliver change the support need a focal point (ala Fergus McCann). We don't have that.

As such all the banners and good will in the world will struggle to achieve anything concrete. However, they are worthwhile to try and ensure the remaining administration do more to efficiently run the club.

Compare our situation with businesses in the " high street "

Some are closing down, some have less profits and some are increasing theirs.

The latter still making profit and increasing their share are well run. The fact that profit is still being made shows that it can be done.

Thus. the poorly run businesses are failing due to their financial management.

We are one of those businesses.

Wholesale changes must be put in place now or we face closure like the others which have been badly run.

If Murray truly loves this club as he often states then he must make this happen immediately.

Guest OWLBINMAN

I don't know if I am the only one thinking this but it is quite clear things upstairs are not being run as they should or should I say I think they are being run like a highland or Irish league club, everything is small time no-one seems to think beyond Ibrox and a few gift shops, Rangers are a massive concern with a worldwide market and it seems upstairs can't be bothered to push it, to busy patroling the ground for people singing the wrong thing, also I think Walter Smith needs to be looked at as well because in my eyes he is running the team like SDM is running the club no forward thinking.If we can't afford new players why are we not playing the talent we have in the reserves, we keep getting the same crap "it is to soon" it was not too soon for Beckham,Scholes and the like,I would rather play them than maybe Charlie Adam and so on who is well of form I don't get that but I suppose that is what we have come to expect from people who can't think beyond the next pound note.