Oh Boogie - You're a football player

RANGERS ace Madjid Bougherra plans to wear a black armband at today's game in protest at the bloodshed in Gaza.

The SFA say he won't be let on the pitch wearing anything political but the devout Muslim insisted that he doesn't care if he is fined for trying to make his point make in the Rangers v Falkirk game at Ibrox.

He added that he'd refuse to play against an Israeli team in Europe.

The Algerian defender explained: "As a Muslim, I am deeply touched by the barbarity that has been suffered by our Palestinian brothers and sisters.

"I hope we will soon find a lasting solution to enable the Palestinian people to live like everyone else. Everyone must make a gesture about this.

"I will wear a black armband as a sign of mourning and protest. I want people to know I do not agree with what is happening in Gaza and throughout Palestine. All Muslim players must make a gesture."

He praised Seville striker Freddy Kanoute who was fined for revealing a T-shirt with a message of support to Palestine after scoring against Deportivo La Coruna this week.

But an SFA spokesman stressed that FIFA rules must be obeyed and said: "Players are not allowed to wear anything - out with their kit - with a personal or political slogan.

"If any player does wear anything which is deemed inappropriate, he won't be allowed on to the field of play."

A spokesman from Rangers FC refused to comment. But Mick Napier, chairman of the Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign welcomed the move. He said: "We, like the majority of the Scottish people, support the Scottish Government who have expressed disgust at the situation in Gaza. We praise players like Bougherra."

Philip Mendelsohn, president of the Glasgow Jewish Representative Council, said: "We would not seek to stop anyone expressing their personal views.

"But we'd look to those with influence, such as Mr Bougherra, to ensure his actions can't be misconstrued and damage local inter-communal relations."

Andy Kerr, president of the Rangers Supporters Assembly, said: "He is an employee of Rangers Football Club and would have to adhere to club policies."

The Ranger Supports Trust refused to comment last night.

So why are the RST refusing to comment? Don't like the hard questions or just run out of jaffa cakes? Pathetic.

I think its great to see a footballer standing up for what he believes in and commenting in a mature way about a serious issue like this. Certainly make a change from hearing them moaning about only being offered 20 grand a week to live on.

As for the SFA, he's only voicing his right to free speech and is in no way bringing the game into disrepute or anything.

I think its great to see a footballer standing up for what he believes in and commenting in a mature way about a serious issue like this. Certainly make a change from hearing them moaning about only being offered 20 grand a week to live on.

As for the SFA, he's only voicing his right to free speech and is in no way bringing the game into disrepute or anything.

Hear Hear. Wish more footballers would show an interest in the wider world around them; if I was a Rangers player I'd wear an armband too to show solidarity. Though I wonder what would happen if Avi Cohen and Bonni Ginzburg were still at the club?:)

I can't agree. It may be wearing his heart on his sleeve but it's fundamentally political and has no place on the field of play.

By not allowing him to wear the armband, he is not being prevented from disclosing his views. He only plays 90 minutes most weeks, which leaves a lot of time for him to express his politics. But not in a Rangers shirt for my liking.

What would your views be if (say) Steve Davis wanted to wear a black armband every week and told the press it was to commemorate those members of the loyalist Ulster community killed by the IRA? Where's the difference?

Delicate subject this one and a grey area in my opinion.

Hundreds of women and children have been slaughtered in the last three weeks. If the man wants to wear a black armband to acknowledge the dead I have no problem with that.

I appreciate concerns over political statements but who decides when a black armband ceases to become a mark of respect and turns into a political statement? He mentions the fact that he is Muslim. Does that make it a religious statement? If so, how does that differ from someone wearing, e.g. a crucifix pendant?

Delicate subject this one and a grey area in my opinion.

Hundreds of women and children have been slaughtered in the last three weeks. If the man wants to wear a black armband to acknowledge the dead I have no problem with that.

I appreciate concerns over political statements but who decides when a black armband ceases to become a mark of respect and turns into a political statement? He mentions the fact that he is Muslim. Does that make it a religious statement? If so, how does that differ from someone wearing, e.g. a crucifix pendant?

Let me put it this way.

Will Bougherra be wearing his armband when he arrives at and leaves the stadium? Was he wearing it yesterday? Will he be wearing it tomorrow? If not then he is using his place in the Rangers team to endorse his personal politics and that is simply wrong.