hi

Roland from Switzerland, am a Rangers fan since their swiss pre-season tour in the mid-eighties...

Gordon Smith played for Basel in the 80's. He now suggests we adopt the league structures they used in Switzerland then. Do you think Scottish football would benefit from it. How did it work out ?

Gordon Smith played for Basel in the 80's. He now suggests we adopt the league structures they used in Switzerland then. Do you think Scottish football would benefit from it. How did it work out ?

well, tbh i can't remember the league structures then, but what i do know is that Switzerland started a very successful youth development system about 15 years ago,

that succeeded in the u-17 team becoming world champions in 2009 and nearly 20 swiss footballers ending up in Bundesliga this year (compared to maybe 2 twenty years ago.)

This is costing a lot of money but in case of Switzerland bears fruits.

Rangers should invest heavily in the youth development (though it seems they already doing a good job here) if they want to be successful in the future.

I am sure W&W know are aware about this

You can have any league structures in the world, fact is that in smaller countries such as Scotland and Switzerland the Championsleague clubs will dominate their own leagues because they will have so much money to spend. They will buy the best players off their foes to make sure their own players won't have to work too hard to win the league...and order is restored...I remember about years ago when Hearts and Aberdeen and the likes where going for the league titles and Celtic/Rangers ending up in the midtables - impossible nowadays?

Hopefully Rangers will be able to challenge Celtic soon again. If so, as mentioned, it only will work if they do have a team consisting of a majority of homegrown/scottish players, mixed with some very good extra players. The best of Rangers youth players, the best of Scottish players and 2-3 stars from abroad= success (in my humble opinion anyway)

• 3 weeks later...
hi there Ricky from Belfast been lurking a long time thought i would say hello

Welcome Ricky if you have been lurking then you obviously liked what you saw. I hope you enjoy coming out of the shadows and enjoy posting. Cheers mate.

Welcome Ricky fae Belfast im new anaw that means as well lol ive a wee feeling that wallace and McKay (if he keeps his feet on the ground ) will be the only two left from last season at the start of next season what do you think bears?

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Bears, found it very difficult to get into the whole internet forum thing but here I'm willing to give it another bash.

Hope everyone is well and I look forward to being part of the group.