Thinking the Unthinkable: Is the Time Right for Protest?

It's certainly a well written peice and I agree with its core sentiments, i.e change is necessary, however, as is always my gripe with such peices, it offers no solutions except perhaps a hint that we sholud be staging walkouts in the near future. At least this peice admits as such and asks for ideas.

Frankie makes the crucial point above: we have no Fergus Mcann waiting in the wings. Murray has stated he wants out til he is blue in the face which makes protests aimed at bringing an end to his tenure futile and possibly even harmful. The fan ownership model has been suggested but would be almost impossible to organise/mobilise given the apathy of most fans nowadays. This brings us back to the "Knight in Shining Armour" new investors who Murray would welcome! As soon as they materialise SDM will be off. I could understand a walkout if Murray was resisting overtures from an attractive buyer, but the fact is there is noone out there.

I won't be walking out anytime soon.

Hi mate - thanks for your input. The article itself is more of a context-setter. An attempt to state the case that change is necessary for the good of the club, not for the good of Sir David Murray. It's objectives are two-fold;

To underline to those who already believe that there is a sound basis for arguing the Sir David is no longer doing the club any good. And to frame this in a sensible manner.

And (perhaps more importantly) to engage with the very large group of supporters who are passive or not convinced that there are sound, logical, empirical arguments which are not steeped in the raw emotions of personalisation or the highs and lows of the next 90 minutes.

If it makes even one person see things from this perspective, or if it sparks further constructive debate then it was worth writing it.

This seems to have been picked up on FF today and there's been quite a bit of interesting discussion, including "Gersnet calls for protest". I'm not sure how I feel about certain aspects of the discussion, although I'm pleased that it's happening.

You've caused quite a stir within the fan base mate. And that publicity can only be a good thing. Well done. :thup:

This seems to have been picked up on FF today and there's been quite a bit of interesting discussion, including "Gersnet calls for protest". I'm not sure how I feel about certain aspects of the discussion, although I'm pleased that it's happening.

It was sabotaged a little, but it's been read by over 900 people to date, so the issue is certainly causing people to think about it. Well done.

I'd like to make a few points:

1. Firstly I disagree with any overly aggressive/negative protest. Banners and folk gathering outside the front door is premature IMO but I can understand why some may find such a reaction suitable.

2. It could be said we're only 2 or 3 bad results away from that happening anyway. But by the same token we're only 2 or 3 good results away from such protests being laughed at. Hence the utmost care is required in any campaign for improvement.

3. As such, I'd prefer more constructive, positive protest as we're doing via the 'Setting the Standard' project. Sure, we arguably have plenty to complain about but, since we have no Fergus McCann, we need to be more constructive and clever in our approach.

These are damn good points! The only thing I would disagree with is when you say 'but I can understand why some may find such a reaction suitable', simply because I personally don't understand why anyone would think that's a suitable course of action. Projects aimed at discussion and debate such as the one you're organizing here are much more constructive & worthwhile than any angry protest will ever be. As I said on another thread, people turning up at matches with 'Murray must go' banners etc is not only embarrassing & potentially damaging to the club, but also a complete waste of time given that SDM knows all too well that a portion of the support want him out... as do all the other fans. There's nothing constructive in stating the obvious till you're blue in the face with jets of steam gushing from your ears....

There's no doubt about that MF, in my opinion...

That's why it's important people lead the way, shed some light and keep protest (no matter how direct or indirect) as positive and as constructive as possible. Doing so gives us credibility, increases momentum and opens peoples' eyes to things they may not have seen before.

Out of small acorns...

I agree with some of that but I also feel that teaching is for teachers and not everyone wants to be a teacher.

I'm also not too sure about the momentum bit. It could also be said that the reason it has taken such an incredible amount of time to travel this far is because those disposed to action have actually consumed their energies on internet forums. Will this shedding of light ever actually illuminate anything? Many fans still can't se there is a problem, let alone the causes of it - how much light do you waste on them.

I'm reminded that intelligence is distributed normally throughout the community. That being the case, if you are of an above-average intelligence yourself, you have no option but to accept that the majority of people you interact with in life simply do not see the world in the way you do. They cannot. Leaving irrelevant morality out of the equation, you could turn blue in the face trying to get them to understand your point of view and still fail. Sometimes you have to get on and do it, without regard for the sensibilities or understanding of the majority. In the immortal words of Esther Rantzen - that's life.

That was great stuff Frankie.

I believe what we need to do next is to try to spread the essence of your piece by any medium possible to as many supporters as possible as often as possible.

Once this is in everyone's concienciousness we must seek out a credible, high profile and articulate spokesperson who is able to fend off the poodle press and debate SDM if required.

Until we have a popular " leader " we will be unable to unite, as different factions will only debate themselves round in circles. United we will not be beaten.

Eg. look to the Fergus McCann/rebels period.

We can do this but you're right, it has to start straight away.

These are damn good points! The only thing I would disagree with is when you say 'but I can understand why some may find such a reaction suitable', simply because I personally don't understand why anyone would think that's a suitable course of action. Projects aimed at discussion and debate such as the one you're organizing here are much more constructive & worthwhile than any angry protest will ever be. As I said on another thread, people turning up at matches with 'Murray must go' banners etc is not only embarrassing & potentially damaging to the club, but also a complete waste of time given that SDM knows all too well that a portion of the support want him out... as do all the other fans. There's nothing constructive in stating the obvious till you're blue in the face with jets of steam gushing from your ears....

Totally disagree with that statement. I work in the uranium enrichment industry and my bosses know that Greeneace and millions of others hate our industry. Every negative piece reported in the papers is a huge embarrassment for our company. Knowing something yourself and it being brought out in the open are two completely different things. That banner was a thorn in DM's thumb believe you me.

As I said on another thread, people turning up at matches with 'Murray must go' banners etc is not only embarrassing & potentially damaging to the club, but also a complete waste of time given that SDM knows all too well that a portion of the support want him out... as do all the other fans.

These comments are so removed from reality that you must exist in some kind of personal vacuum. God knows where you get your views on this but they seem to be based largely on fear and self-doubt.

To describe those few fans who care enough to actually get off their arses and do something as "embarrassing" is highly offensive and smacks of the very supercilious smugness that has allowed Murray to pull the wool over our eyes for so long.

I've become used to your contradictory opinions and the shallowness of your position on the really important challenges facing our club but statements like this are nauseating. I wouldn't mind if you came out and said you wholeheartedly endorse Murray's leadership and performance, that at least would be a clear position to take. But to snipe and whine from the sidelines at people who truly care is unforgivable. What have you actually done to help the club, apart from vent your spleen on internet forums?

These comments are so removed from reality that you must exist in some kind of personal vacuum. God knows where you get your views on this but they seem to be based largely on fear and self-doubt.

To describe those few fans who care enough to actually get off their arses and do something as "embarrassing" is highly offensive and smacks of the very supercilious smugness that has allowed Murray to pull the wool over our eyes for so long.

I've become used to your contradictory opinions and the shallowness of your position on the really important challenges facing our club but statements like this are nauseating. I wouldn't mind if you came out and said you wholeheartedly endorse Murray's leadership and performance, that at least would be a clear position to take. But to snipe and whine from the sidelines at people who truly care is unforgivable. What have you actually done to help the club, apart from vent your spleen on internet forums?

While i also disagree with the post MF he does have the right to have an opinion be it right or wrong in our minds. Unfortunately i can only vent my spleen on internet forums as well. As i have said before Rangers is mostly in your heart and we do have more than the 50.000 supporters who are lucky enough to attend matches.