Thinking the Unthinkable: Is the Time Right for Protest?

While i also disagree with the post MF he does have the right to have an opinion be it right or wrong in our minds. Unfortunately i can only vent my spleen on internet forums as well. As i have said before Rangers is mostly in your heart and we do have more than the 50.000 supporters who are lucky enough to attend matches.

I have no issue with him expressing his opinion. However, when any of us does so, particularly on such an important matter, we provide others with the opportunity to comment upon it. Which is what I did. How I do it, within reason, is my business.

You don't have to attend matches to take action however, or wave a banner. Out of principle, I haven't bought a season ticket for two years now and I don't buy club merchandise. I stop short of saying I'll never pay to see Rangers until Murray leaves - but it's close. I also write many letters to the media, to the club, to politicians and others where I see the reputation of the club being tarnished or flagrant abuse being thrown around. I sometimes contribute funds to "causes" where these are aimed at removing Murray or otherwise challenging the problems I see as holding us back. There are many ways to contribute and while some cannot do all, all can do some.

There were about 80 people who took an hour out of their time recently before a home game to protest outside the BBC offices in Glasgow. Many of us accept there is overt bias at the BBC in Scotland but so few were prepared to do anything about it when so many could have done at little or no sacrifice. If you don't believe in protest then that's fine but surely some respect is due to those who care enough to do it.

To describe those who do care enough to raise their heads above the parapet and protest as "embarrassing" is cringeworthy and at least worthy of challenge.

Edited by maineflyer

These comments are so removed from reality that you must exist in some kind of personal vacuum. God knows where you get your views on this but they seem to be based largely on fear and self-doubt.

To describe those few fans who care enough to actually get off their arses and do something as "embarrassing" is highly offensive and smacks of the very supercilious smugness that has allowed Murray to pull the wool over our eyes for so long.

I've become used to your contradictory opinions and the shallowness of your position on the really important challenges facing our club but statements like this are nauseating. I wouldn't mind if you came out and said you wholeheartedly endorse Murray's leadership and performance, that at least would be a clear position to take. But to snipe and whine from the sidelines at people who truly care is unforgivable. What have you actually done to help the club, apart from vent your spleen on internet forums?

What I said was, that people turning up at matches with 'Murray must go' banners etc is 'embarrassing & potentially damaging to the club'. Embarrassing to the club. Potentially damaging to the club. Not to me. If you don't see how that could possibly be the case then either you've misread/misunderstood what I said or perhaps it's you who exists 'in some kind of personal vacuum' along with your agendas. If you think I've been 'highly offensive', stink of 'supercilious smugness' & have a shallow position, I make no apologies & you're entitled to express your opinion about what I write in whichever way you see fit, but it might be prudent for you to properly consider what I've written & perhaps what I actually mean before getting nasty.

What I said was, that people turning up at matches with 'Murray must go' banners etc is 'embarrassing & potentially damaging to the club'. Embarrassing to the club. Potentially damaging to the club. Not to me. If you don't see how that could possibly be the case then either you've misread/misunderstood what I said or perhaps it's you who exists 'in some kind of personal vacuum' along with your agendas. If you think I've been 'highly offensive', stink of 'supercilious smugness' & have a shallow position, I make no apologies & you're entitled to express your opinion about what I write in whichever way you see fit, but it might be prudent for you to properly consider what I've written & perhaps what I actually mean before getting nasty.

Don't worry, I read exactly what you posted. Nice try though.

I have no issue with him expressing his opinion. However, when any of us does so, particularly on such an important matter, we provide others with the opportunity to comment upon it. Which is what I did. How I do it, within reason, is my business.

Yes, it IS your business & it would be appreciated if you could go about it without getting nasty & personal.

Yes, it IS your business & it would be appreciated if you could go about it without getting nasty & personal.

Look, rather than waste your time trying to weasel out of it by playing the victim, why not either have the balls to stand by your original statement or withdraw it.

I do stand by my original statement & won't be getting manipulated into deleting anything else I write on this forum by you maineflyer. Nice try, but don't think you'll be pulling my strings with that crap anymore.

Guest The Advocate

You are correct that without an obvious 'leader in waiting' such as Celtic had during the Fergus McCann takeover, our situation is more difficult and can lead to dis-unity in the support. I share your thoughts and concerns on this.

So, as a suggestion (thinking loud here without thinking this fully thru) - do we need to get respected ex-players on board on the WDB and STS campaigns?

Or indeed respected businessmen with RFC support?

You are correct that without an obvious 'leader in waiting' such as Celtic had during the Fergus McCann takeover, our situation is more difficult and can lead to dis-unity in the support. I share your thoughts and concerns on this.

So, as a suggestion (thinking loud here without thinking this fully thru) - do we need to get respected ex-players on board on the WDB and STS campaigns?

That's exactly what we need to do mate.

Indeed it is exactly what the RST should have done before publicising their campaign.

As Frankie says, That's an excellent idea. One that I hadn't thought of but which seems obviously right as soon as you read it.

What irks me is that there seem to be very few ex-players who are prepared to hear a word said against the club - or at least they seem understandably reluctant to see a wedge driven between them and the club if they do speak out against the current regime. Willie Henderson is one I've heard do it to a limited extent but can you imagine what would be said about him if he were to step forward.

One possible candidate I can see out there who might command enough respect is Richard Gough. I think the businessmen are probably there but if it were me then I would want to wait until Murray's house of cards starts to fall before stepping into the limelight. Always attack your victim when he's wounded and least abvle to defend himself.