DAVID WEIR believes his good friend and former teammate John Hughes deserves great credit for the job he has done at Falkirk over the years and is confident his hometown club can pull clear of the SPL relegation zone in the next couple of months.

David WeirRangers' League Cup semi-final opponents are currently languishing in eleventh place in the league table after a disappointing first-half to the season and four wins from 23 games has sent their confidence crashing.

Weir, however, believes the form book will go out the window tonight at Hampden and that both sets of players will give their all to make it through to a showcase final against either Celtic or Dundee United on March 15.

It will be a special evening for the 38-year-old defender who still has fond memories of his three year spell at Falkirk and being in a squad with Yogi Hughes.

Davie joined the then First Division side in 1992 and went on to play over 100 games in a Dark Blue jersey.

At that time survival football was served up on the old Brockville menu with the club skipping back and forth between divisions.

And Weir insists that the current crop of players at the Falkirk Stadium have more than enough quality to avoid the drop and start climbing the league before May.

He said: "I don't think staying in the SPL will be a problem for Falkirk. I know it's easy for me to say that but they have a lot of good players in their squad.

"The first-half of the season might not have gone how they would have liked but there is no doubt they can pull away from that and I hope they can. David Weir

"Over the years I think John has done a great job at Falkirk and he has firmly established them as an SPL club.

"They were in the semi-final of the League Cup in 2007 and they have done the same this season so they will be looking to go one step further and that's something we need to be wary of when we face them.

"But John's definitely raised the bar and brought a bit of stability and credibility to the club along the way."

Davie is relishing the prospect of returning to the national stadium and still looks back at last season's epic League Cup final against Dundee United as one of the highlights of his career.

David WeirKris Boyd's winning penalty in a dramatic shoot-out handed the defender his first winners medal in a Light Blue jersey and for that reason alone he would love to retain the trophy.

He said: "All the players here want to beat Falkirk and reach the final, that goes without saying, but it will be a tough game.

"We lifted the League and Scottish Cup last season so, of course, we want to do the same.

"Winning trophies is a good habit to get in to but first and foremost we need to reach the final this year which will be tough.

"Reputations count for nothing and it's the best team on the night that will go through.

"It will be a great occasion and the fact that Falkirk is one of my former clubs will make it a wee bit more special."

Anybody not actually mind Hughes that much for an ex Rheptile ?

Seems to have turned into a reasonable coach who tries to play a bit of football considering his style of play when he was a player.

Anybody not actually mind Hughes that much for an ex Rheptile ?

Seems to have turned into a reasonable coach who tries to play a bit of football considering his style of play when he was a player.

Seems ok to me. Was pretty fair after our last game.

Met him in a professional setting and seemed decent enough.

Seems ok to me. Was pretty fair after our last game.

Met him in a professional setting and seemed decent enough.

I was at a Sportsman bash few months back and Gus McPherson was talking about Hughes saying he'd built up some good contacts down south through his brother in law who was associated with a large sports agency dealing with a lot of younger players freed from bigger clubs etc.

He said that would help him further down the line if he obtained a job down south with perhaps more finance than Falkirk.

I was at a Sportsman bash few months back and Gus McPherson was talking about Hughes saying he'd built up some good contacts down south through his brother in law who was associated with a large sports agency dealing with a lot of younger players freed from bigger clubs etc.

He said that would help him further down the line if he obtained a job down south with perhaps more finance than Falkirk.

I guess all managers, players and other's employed within the game build up these sorts of contacts. WOuld be daft not too. When you're working to a budget having these kind of contact will only help with identifying potential prospects for the club.

I think Yogi is as good an ex-Celtic player as you'll get...

Reasonably fair and a genuine fitba man. And he is a Hibee so that's not as bad as a tim per se... ;)

I thought he was a penalty kick for the Hibs job before Mixu was appointed....until a Hibee told me that He and Rod Petrie have a healthy hatred for each other.