KYLE Lafferty is desperate to put his injury problems behind him and return to the Rangers team as they bid to reclaim the SPL title.

Kyle LaffertyLafferty has been sidelined since early January after taking a heavy knock to his knee and ankle in a closed door game at Murray Park.

But now the Northern Ireland international is battling to make his way back in to Walter Smith's side as they aim to close the gap on rivals Celtic at the top of the table.

He said: "It's good to be back. The injury wasn't as bad as we first thought and I'm back now and raring to go.

"To be fair the whole of the first six or seven months have been about injuries for me and I haven't really got going. But hopefully this is the end of it and I can kick on now.

"I supported this club when I was younger and I know how great a club it is so I want to prove to the fans and anyone who is doubting me that I can do a job for Rangers.

"All I can do when I get my chance is to try to do my best and that's what I do every time I put on a blue shirt."

Kyle Lafferty celebrates with Pedro MendesLafferty will aim to do that against Dundee United this weekend, but he knows that whatever team Smith fields, they will face a difficult challenge from Craig Levein's men.

The Gers No.27 hit the net at Tannadice in December to earn his side a 2-2 draw and he is expecting another tough meeting with a side that have run Rangers close this season.

He said: "They are a good side and we haven't managed to beat them yet this season so everyone in the dressing room knows what a good team they are.

"I haven't been surprised by the challenge the teams outside the Old Firm are making because this is a good league, there are a lot of good teams in it."

If he does get a chance, Lafferty knows it may not come in his favoured position - as a striker - but he insists he is ready for the fight he faces to earn a regular starting spot.

He added: "The Gaffer has said that he bought me as a striker and that's my position. If I can't get a chance there in the first team hopefully I can show in the reserves what I am capable of.

"Everybody knows what Kris Boyd is about and as long as he is scoring and the team are winning I'll be happy. So it's going to be hard to budge him but I'm up for the challenge."