Silversmith ââ?¬â?? The Biography of Walter Smith ââ?¬â?? Neil Drysdale (Birlinn ââ?¬â?? http://www.birlinn.co.uk)

I had been looking forward to reading and critiquing this book for sometime and have to say that, in the main, Neil Drysdale doesn�t disappoint. His biography of Walter Smith is excellently written, well put together, historically correct (unlike some official publications) and is an honest assessment of the ex and current incumbent Rangers manager. There are a few minor complaints regarding the content of this book (which I�ll cover later) but overall, this is a fantastic read and I would recommend the book to all Rangers supporters.

Walter played for and was Dundee UTDââ?¬â?¢s assistant manager under Jim McLean and has also managed Everton and Scotland, however, as the vast majority of his managerial career was served at Ibrox, the book dedicates most of its pages to his two stints as Rangers manager. The book also serves as a brilliant insight into the ââ?¬Ë?privateââ?¬â?¢ aspects to Walter Smithââ?¬â?¢s characteristics which have served him well in his professional career. When reading about Walterââ?¬â?¢s Calvinistic views and ideals, his strong family ties and his love for Rangers Football Club, it is easy to see why he treasures his time at Rangers and as well as treasuring our traditions and history, he also installs these great values into anyone and everyone who is employed at Ibrox.

The book starts in poignant fashion as it details the happenings in and around Ibrox on the day of the Ibrox disaster where 66 of our brethren were tragically killed whilst watching The Rangers. Walter Smith was in attendance that day and the events and aftermath of this tragedy stayed with him forever. This opening chapter is brilliantly written and is worth purchasing the book for in itself. Whilst reading any account of that tragic day, I always get goose-bumps and a lump in my throat. Drysdales account is no different.

The book then goes on to tell of Walters playing career that saw him play for junior football with Ashfield whilst serving his time as an electrician. He then played professionally for Dundee United and Dumbarton. In his earlier career with Dundee United, Walter also held down a fulltime job as an electrician. After playing 250 games for Dundee United he was invited onto the coaching staff by then manager Jerry Kerr who coincidently, played for Rangers after the 2nd World War. The book also gives an insight into how Walter missed the opportunity to move to Ibrox when Jim McLean refused the Rangers managers job the subsequently led to the return of Jock Wallace and then the Souness revolution, which Walter Smith would play a hugely influential part.

As you�d expect, the vast majority of the book is dedicated to the Souness revolution and the nine-in-a-row era. This vastly successful part of our history is well documented, but again, Drysdale manages to document the successes whilst also questioning the obvious failings during this period. Near constant failure in Europe, an ageing team kept together which limped to 9-in-a-row and failed in it�s quest to achieve 10-in-a-row. All of the detail is in the book, all major games discussed and all through the book, events are punctuated with interviews / comments with the main protagonists.

As I said in the opening of this review, there are a couple of minor points that concerned me and these are the old sectarianism chestnut. In the book, the Mo Johnston signing is detailed as is the outpouring of sectarianism for a tiny minority of Rangers supporters. To his credit, Drysdale does mention the fact that only 1 solitary season ticket book was handed back. However, all the furore surrounding the MoJo signing is blamed (mainly) on the Rangers support. There is no mention of the fact that MoJo�s family were attacked and his father assaulted by Celtic supporters. No mention that Johnston cannot return to the country of his birth due to ongoing death threats he receives from Celtic fans. Another contentious subject that is glossed over (it merits two lines in the book) was the vile racist abuse Mark Walters received on signing for Rangers both at Parkhead on his debut, then the following week at Tynecastle. There is also no mention of the fact that the racist abuse wasn�t consigned to the terraces with Walters being subjected to racist abuse on the pitch as well. There are also the tenuous and tedious remarks regarding Andy Goram�s unfounded links to the UVF. As I said, none of this should take anything away from the book, just something that I thought should be raised.

After detailing Walters stints as Scotland and Everton manager, the tale end of the book looks at last seasons quadruple attempt which ultimately fell tantalizingly short. The author is obviously supportive of our attempts to have the season extended and puts in print what most of us think of Scotland�s governing bodies. Walter Smith�s and Martin Bain�s public comments regarding this, and Celtics shameful approach to our request is also highlighted and supported. All in all this was a fantastic read and one that I would recommend to one and all. If asked to rate this book, I would say 8 out of 10.

In closing the cover of the book states that this biography is ââ?¬Ë?a timely portrait of a man chiselled in the traditions of Rangersââ?¬â?¢ and the book certainly does deliver on this promise and it is hard after reading this book to argue that Walter Smith isnââ?¬â?¢t ââ?¬Ë?one of usââ?¬â?¢. I closing, I will quote Walter Smith; ââ?¬Ë?This Club is different; This club is Rangers Football Clubââ?¬â?¢ and the author ; ââ?¬Ë?It doesnââ?¬â?¢t matter how tough the task has proved, because Smith strives under scrutiny and being presented with challenges at Ibrox, the place where he and his grandfather thrilled to the sight of blue-clad warriors giving their all for what they sincerely believed to be the greatest club in the world. And, as Walter Smith will tell you, Rangers remain just thatââ?¬â?¢.

Cammy F

A well written review mate. Will have to ensure I get a read of this book soon.

A little frsutrating you can no longer read into our great club without having the sectarian nonsense brought up and blown out of proportion. I am not saying I want a blindly, biased positive read. I merely ask is it necessary to have it mentioned in everything connected to the club. And if it has to be dredger up continually how about not ignoring the ills of the worst perpetrators.

I'm a fan of Smith, even if he has made mistakes more keenly highlighted in his second tenure and Silversmith sounds well worth a read. :thup: