Financially, where are we now?

A couple of weeks ago our finances were apparently such that we had to sell at least one of our more valuable players. Murray said it and called for the support to see reason in a changed financial reality. Even Walter Smith was persuaded to read in public from the Murray script. Hell, the whole world knew that we were in a perilous situation. Well we didn't sell so what happens now?

Was Murray simply "at it" yet again or is there something he might now want to tell us about our finances. Should he come clean and explain the consequences of not meeting his own declared necessity of raising urgently needed funds?

The apparent about-face and subsequent silence makes no sense. Either he was spinning to cover up his lack of judgement or, as a captain of industry, he should explain what happens now.

Or does he only make annoucements in pursuit of his own personal interest?

Edited by maineflyer

A couple of weeks ago our finances were apparently such that we had to sell at least one of our more valuable players. Murray said it and called for the support to see reason in a changed financial reality. Even Walter Smith was persuaded to read in public from the Murray script. Hell, the whole world knew that we were in a perilous situation. Well we didn't sell so what happens now?

Was Murray simply "at it" yet again or is there something he might now want to tell us about our finances. Should he come clean and explain the consequences of not meeting his own declared necessity of raising urgently needed funds?

The apparent about-face and subsequent silence makes no sense. Either he was spinning to cover up his lack of judgement or, as a captain of industry, he should explain what happens now.

Or does he only make annoucements in pursuit of his own personal interest?

And with us needing to raise �£3mil, where does knocking back a �£3.5 mil bid for Mendes fit in with all of this? :confused:

The noises made by Murray and Smith around 8th Jan which basically said that we needed the cash made sense to me as it tied in with my own speculation/calculation (posted here before the Kris Boyd news broke) that we did not have enough cash to see us through to the receipt of the season ticket money.

Did we actually need the cash? I still believe that we did as why else would we jeopardise our title challenge by selling Boyd.

Has he been able to negotiate extra borrowing from the bank? It's possible that he has been able to swing a short term facility that would be repaid using the season ticket money. Fairly low risk to the bank.

Is he supplying the cash from elsewhere in MIH? Again possible that another company has an unused facility that could lend the cash to Rangers at commercial rates, but MIH appear to be needing every penny they can get for their own loan repayments.

Has he done a commercial deal that will give us cash up-front? Possible that the new kit supplier (Canterbury?) has been persuaded to give us cash up-front, but unlikely as what retail related company is going to enter into such an agreement in the current environment?

Perhaps we are now getting the �£3m from JJB that wasn't expected, although given JJB's current problems and the fact that they have been unable to pay back the whole of a �£20m bridging loan to Kaupthing, I doubt it's this.

Perhaps we still need the cash and he hasn't yet worked out how to get it? Possible. He must have known that he had a problem when he authorised the summer spending and deferred worrying about it until later. I hope it's not this one!

Should we be told? Difficult one. There are certain of the above possibilities that would not be in the club's best interests if they were made public, despite the fact that I, as a supporter, feel I deserve to know. The club's interests should be paramount, so I'd probably go with it not being made public which would be why there has been silence (or at least a few statements that didn't actually say anything).

However even if we were told the truth would we believe it anyway?

Edited by Bluedell

I think he looked at the near-universal discontent when he accepted the offer for Boyd and he backed off, finding another way to bridge the current cash gap. He looked at the likely impact on season ticket sales and saw the better part of valour was to stay his hand.

IMO, the inevitable axe will fall in the summer, after season tickets have been taken up and a possible CL place secured. That really would be typical Murray.

Of course, I'm no captain of industry, so what do I know?

The one shining light in this whole affair, and which has probably saved Murray from even more flak, is that Celtic never went out and made a big name signing during the transfer window. I don't know if it is their old 'biscuit tin' mentality, but they rarely make big siginings unless it is a reaction to one we have made, definitely seems to be the impression I get in recent times.

The one shining light in this whole affair, and which has probably saved Murray from even more flak, is that Celtic never went out and made a big name signing during the transfer window. I don't know if it is their old 'biscuit tin' mentality, but they rarely make big siginings unless it is a reaction to one we have made, definitely seems to be the impression I get in recent times.

Sadly it seems they dont need to make big name signings.