John Greig - What Happened

The recent post by CammyF got me thinking about our Greatest Ever Ranger.

John Greig was my absolute hero when I was a boy and teenager. He was a wonderful, fantastic player and captain. The ultimate Rangers captain. I thought the world of him. Mr Rangers.

Perhaps he didn't get the chance to learn the management job and that's not his fault but he was a whole lot less successful as a manager. He didn't have the players, the money or the experience.

However, as a director, John Greig seems to have turned from hero to zero. Fair enough if the directorship is simply a gesture to a club legend but for his part, he has allowed a whole lot of shit to happen without ever uttering a word of concern. In fact, I find in recent years that I've lost all of my erstwhile respect for Greig. A man like him, who has played under Symon, Waddell and Wallace must have little excuse for participating in the mismanaged decline in Rangers fortunes these last ten years or so. The treatment of fans at Ibrox, the attitude of the club to the treatment of fans away in Europe, the continual false promises to sell season tickets, and so on are all issues that Greig could and should have taken a position on, even if it meant losing his directorship - especially if it meant losing his directorship.

Instead, it seems to me he has buried his head in the sand, protected his own self-interest, and buttoned his lip. Such a waste, such a disappointment.

For me the only ex-players that get to work @ Ibrox are the ones who will not cause any trouble............like standing up for the fans.............YES MEN are a safer bet

Of course you're right and it's up to them what stance they take. But john Greig holds a rather special status at the club and it was given to him by the fans he now chooses not to associate himself with. Everyone might not agree but in my opinion that amounts to something approaching betrayal.

Of course you're right and it's up to them what stance they take. But john Greig holds a rather special status at the club and it was given to him by the fans he now chooses not to associate himself with. Everyone might not agree but in my opinion that amounts to something approaching betrayal.

Agreed,it is a shame as he is the greatest ever Ger without doubt :(

Personally i think JG is only there for the show. I don't believe for a moment he has anything to say on the daily running of the club.(At least the important things) I don't think John would have made much money in his day so being at Ibrox makes sure he has a decent living. Why stir up things when you have a cushy number? Understandable in my eyes and my respect for him as a player still stands.

Anyone know what happened with his involvement at Auchenhowie,I heard he was not appreciated by the present coaching regime.

If this is true,how come his fellow director and Chairman Sir Dave would not go to bat for him, very strange for a person with his knowledge of football to be sidelined by insignificent others without a murmour from the media.

Anyone know what happened with his involvement at Auchenhowie,I heard he was not appreciated by the present coaching regime.

If this is true,how come his fellow director and Chairman Sir Dave would not go to bat for him, very strange for a person with his knowledge of football to be sidelined by insignificent others without a murmour from the media.

he has his own office at murray park so he must be doing something up there.

What is i you want from the guy? Do you want him to shake your hand as you walk in the stadium?

As for influence in the boardroom. Theres only one guy in there thats got any. its the guy that owns all the shares.

For me the only ex-players that get to work @ Ibrox are the ones who will not cause any trouble............like standing up for the fans.............YES MEN are a safer bet

Indeed, and precisely why Richard Gough has not and will never play a part in the management team while Murray is at the helm. Goughie has more integrity and fibre in his average morning shite than all the suits at Ibrox combined.

Indeed, and precisely why Richard Gough has not and will never play a part in the management team while Murray is at the helm. Goughie has more integrity and fibre in his average morning shite than all the suits at Ibrox combined.

Well said Norris, well said indeed. There is a great deal of truth in what you say, both about Richard Gough and about the weak-kneed asswipes who parade the management corridors at Ibrox. :cheers: