Juventus have offered defender Jonathan Zebina in a swap deal for Newcastle United's Jean-Alain Boumsong, according to reports emanating out of France.

The Old Lady lost both their star centre backs Lilian Thuram and Fabio Cannavaro to Real Madrid earlier in the summer and coach Didier Deschamps is trying to rebuild for the tough challenge that lies ahead.

His team have been relegated to Serie B for the coming season for their involvement in the Italian match-fixing scandal and Deschamps has reportedly earmarked two French internationals to lead the back line.

Monaco captain Gael Givet, who has also been linked to Villarreal, and Boumsong (pictured) were both part of the Bleus squad which made it to the World Cup finals in Germany and Deschamps hopes they can lead his side's resurgence up the leagues.

"It is true I had contact with Juve and that the club wants to hire me for next season. But it is not the only trail," Givet told L'Equipe.

"There are other clubs which have recently shown an interest. But I am under contract with Monaco until June 2009, and if the officials want to refuse my departure, I will stay.

"On Thursday afternoon I talked with Marc Keller and Jean-Luc Ettori and they told me they absolutely want to keep me. On Monday I will take stock with my agent and the chairman and vice-chairman.

"I know what I owe Monaco. If the officials offer me a chance to leave that would be fine, but if they refused categorically I would go back to work."

Bianconeri are also reported to be chasing two Brazilians in Udinese defender Felipe Da Silva and Corinthians midfielder Ricardinho.

"Felipe? Yes, we are thinking about him," Juve general manager Alessio Secco confirmed.

No official negotiations have opened with either side yet, but Ricardinho has a European passport so there would be no issue regarding EU statuses.

Deschamps has already announced that no more players will be leaving the Stadio Delle Alpi, but Spanish reports still suggest that Valencia are ready to offer Juve ââ??¬15 million (Ã?£10.2 million) for Argentinian midfielder Mauro German Camoranesi.

Both he and Zlatan Ibrahimovic's futures remain in doubt.

Story Tools:

Print Email this page Messageboards

Maybe the slower pace of the Italian game will suit him? I have to say I really don't know what happened to him in between leaving us and going down south, he looked something special every time I saw him, but he's been a total car crash defender for them.

like ascender said before, hes been an absolute bombscare for newcastle this season and in zebina they're getting a good defender in return so perhaps this would be a good deal for both parties.

Boumsong IMO would do well in serie A/B. He'd have more time to think than he does in the EPL