Well, Bless My Cotton Socks�

I guess everyone noticed that Rangers changed from their traditional black socks with red tops to an all red sock (or stocking, if you are old fashioned like myself) at Parkhead on Sunday and the official line was that the black socks clashed with Borat’s socks (however, both teams have white shorts, strange that one). Anyway, I am going to assume that I will be in the vast minority hear, but I prefer Rangers to play in red socks, however, my preference would be to have these topped with white.

Now, this isn’t a lily-livered liberals response to the outlandish and bizarre claims by Celtc supporters that we only wear black socks, topped with red to signify that we are ‘up to our knees in ****** blood’. Like all of their eccentric claims against us, this just doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. The line ‘up to our knees in ****** blood’ is from a song that glorifies The Billy Boys, a Glasgow gang from the 1930’s. The song itself wasn’t truly sung until much (decades) later and a quick trawl through old Rangers photographs will show that Rangers played in black stockings with red tops as early as 1907 (please refer to the excellent Rangers blog site - http://blogs.myspace.com/glasgowrangers1873 for a extensive selection of historical Rangers team photos).

Anyway, I’m digressing, back to the red stockings. The reason I prefer these is probably due to the fact that when I was becoming ‘aware’ of the Rangers, seeing them in newspapers, magazines and match programmes left lying around by family members, Rangers were then wearing red and white socks (this would be around 1973ish- see below). I can also remember getting my first Rangers strip for Christmas around this time. Back then, the strips came in a packaged box and the RFC crest and number had to be ironed/stitched on (I had Number 9 and thought that I dreamed I was Derek Parlane as I ran around the back garden). To me, this will always be the classic Rangers ‘look’.

1973rangerss1py3vb9.th.jpg

However, Rangers would soon change back to the traditional black and red socks and would continue wearing these until the arrival of Graeme Souness where he reverted back to the red socks (much to my approval I may add). Again, as this was a wonderful era for all Rangers fans, especially those who had suffered previously, this could also explain why I prefer the red socks – it heralds me back to a greater time, an exciting, exhilarating and ambitious time where Rangers seemed to ‘come alive’.

This is a rather whimsical look at something that many may not feel worthy of megabyte of space in hyperspace, whilst others, like myself will believe that these small things are important and part of our history and heritage. As far as I have been able to gather, traditionally, we adopted stockings in black with red tops as these are the colours of the burgh of Govan. Nothing more sinister than that and a nice touch to the citizens of our home burgh, but it’s a pity that they hadn’t adopted red and white as their colours.

Cammy F – Blue, White & Red Loyal

Edited by CammyF

Rangers have worn socks of many different colours and designs over the years but black socks with red tops are the only thing I care to see. We are a club rightly proud of our traditions (well everyone except Murray and Bain it seems) and we wouldn't change the colour of our shirt because it appealed to the preferences of particular supporters. So why should we consider changing the colour of our socks?

Our traditions keep us united and keep us strong. Hello, Hello, we are the Billy Boys.......... what?

Edited by maineflyer

Rangers have worn socks of many different colours and designs over the years but black socks with red tops are the only thing I care to see. We are a club rightly proud of our traditions (well everyone except Murray and Bain it seems) and if we wouldn't change the colour of our shirt because it appealed to the preferences of particular supporters. So why should we consider changing the colour of our socks?

Our traditions keep us united and keep us strong. Hello, Hello, we are the Billy Boys.......... what?

But as you have admitted yourself, we don't have a 'traditional' design for socks, these have change over the years. Red and white, red, black and red, black, blue, blue and white, blue and red.... take your pick.

Rangers colours traditionally are blue, white and red, no mention of black there :whistle::fish:

Cammy F

I was brought up us having black socks, and I don't like it when we change.

Black and red loyal.

Hear, hear. Black socks topped off with red. I've raised this before but I think we're in danger of losing our traditional Royal Blue. Yes,yes, I know that in Victorian times we were Light blue and the strips got progressively darker, but sometimes it seems to me that we are getting lighter again. Even the current strip, while welcome, still seems lighter than Royal blue to me. (Or am I just colour blind?) And while we're on the subject, why do keep being referred to as the 'Light Blues?@ Is 'Royal' blue not politically correct now?:(

Hear, hear. Black socks topped off with red. I've raised this before but I think we're in danger of losing our traditional Royal Blue. Yes,yes, I know that in Victorian times we were Light blue and the strips got progressively darker, but sometimes it seems to me that we are getting lighter again. Even the current strip, while welcome, still seems lighter than Royal blue to me. (Or am I just colour blind?) And while we're on the subject, why do keep being referred to as the 'Light Blues?@ Is 'Royal' blue not politically correct now?:(

I'm sure it isn't to do with the colour of our tops, it was to do with our agility as a team - think I read that somewhere!

Cammy F

[Number 9 and thought that I dreamed I was Derek Parlane as I ran around the back garden). To me, this will always be the classic Rangers ââ?¬Ë?lookââ?¬â?¢.

You dreamed of being Derek Parlane? If it were nowadays it'd be Kris Boyd eh?

Kris Boyd couldn't lace Parlane's boots :box::)

Cammy F