Dundee 0-1 Rangers

Rangers' fringe players showed boss Paul Le Guen he has plenty in reserve by defeating First Division Dundee.

Last season's top scorer Kris Boyd grabbed the only goal of the game after 70 minutes to give the Gers victory.

Nacho Novo, who quit Dundee for Rangers in 2004, should have netted against his old club eight minutes earlier.

But the Spaniard shot straight at the feet of keeper Ludovic Roy who also saved well from Bob Malcolm's superb 30-yard drive seconds later.

But he had no answer to Boyd's winner as the Scotland striker sprung Dundee's offside trap before slotting a powerful drive beyond Roy's left hand.

Dundee rallied towards the end but could not find the breakthrough their play deserved.

I'm sure Boyd will start, Prso looked isolated on his own last week and I'm sure PLG's preferred formation will include Boyd in it.

PLG's prefered formation is the one he played on Sunday - I can't see him alternating from that in to many games. That means if Boyd is to start as the lone striker, then somone is going to drop out.

The choices are replace Buffel with Prso (can't see that happening), replace Adam with Prso (a possibility) or leave the team as it was on Sunday. Given Dado's knee problems and the fact that he played in the WC I can see a straight swap on Saturday, Boyd for Prso.

Cammy F

I agree and can see either of them starting and being substituted at one point by the other. I think he'll start with Prso and swap for Boyd with half an hour to go.

Burke will probably have to sit on the bench after the form of Sionko and Adam but could also come on as a sub for either later.

The report really shows the difference in finishing from Boyd and Novo. Can't remember the last time Novo scored despite sometimes playing not bad otherwise. While I don't think Boyd has gone 90 minutes of football without scoring...

PS I think PLG will start with the exact same team and I'll be pleased if he does. The only player I'd like to see come straight back in is Fergie for Hemdani - unless Brahim hits top form.

Does anyone else think that Sebo will be direct competition to Buffel? I'm hoping Le Gaffer will have a system that he sticks with while doing straight swaps for players for the specific position - with some flexibility of course.

This is what I beleive Ajax have been doing for decades.

I hate this, total reshuffle of the team and tactics to suit a few favourite players that Eck seemed to use.

How can he not afford to start with Boyd given his form last season, during pre-season and also in reserve games. I think the problem is that we don't know what PLG's plans are for the striking area. Look at the players we have - Prso, Novo, Boyd and Buffel for starters. If we add the Austria Vienna lad in too, there's quite a few possibilities there, so maybe we'll have a better idea in a couple of weeks how things are going to go.