Dundee 0-1 Rangers

How can he not afford to start with Boyd given his form last season, during pre-season and also in reserve games. I think the problem is that we don't know what PLG's plans are for the striking area. Look at the players we have - Prso, Novo, Boyd and Buffel for starters. If we add the Austria Vienna lad in too, there's quite a few possibilities there, so maybe we'll have a better idea in a couple of weeks how things are going to go.

But how can he change the team that played so well at Motherwell? We all agreed that the team were magnificant and that no one deserves to be dropped.

To get Boyd into the system that we are playing, Dado will either have to drop to the bench or move to the attacking left position of the player 'off' the striker. So, Adam or Buffel would have to drop to the bench.

Great dilema for PLG to have.

Cammy F

I thought the team played well and showed lots of potential, but didn't think they were magnificent by any stretch of the imagination. I thought Prso looked pretty isolated on his own up front too, although the movement from midfield was fantastic.

Like you say, its a great problem to have.

Its a great dilemma for PLG to have next to the fans dilemma last season of trying to understand Eck's way of thinking.

Whether he starts or not, Boyd will make an appearance at some point. PLG obviously likes him considering he got an extra year on his contract and was made captain (i was told) once or twice in Africa.

Its very unfair on Adam, but at the moment im thinking it will be Prso on the left to make room for Boyd and Adam on the bench.

The good thing is, if the system isnt working and changes have to be made whatever the first 11 is, he has a pretty decent bench to choose from now.

I thought the team played well and showed lots of potential, but didn't think they were magnificent by any stretch of the imagination. I thought Prso looked pretty isolated on his own up front too, although the movement from midfield was fantastic.

Like you say, its a great problem to have.

For the first game of a new season, with a new coach, a nerw regime, new players etc, I thought we were magnificant.

The system that PLG plays does leave one player up front and at times they look isolated. However, he likes the wide men and the player playing 'off' the striker to get forward and support when we have the ball and get back and defend when we don't.

IMO, the only time Prso looked isolated was when we played the ball long and that was when Motherwell came back into the game.

The players are going to take a few games to get into this system and get the best out of it, but if we stick to this system and the players get fitter and gel, we are going to destroy a lot of teams this year.

Cammy F

I thought we played great and had a load of chances which were mostly either unluckily hitting the woodwork or saved by Smith who had good game. There were a few woeful shots by Pros, Clement and most notably Buffel when he did a fantastic solo run with 6 'well players chasing him down but overdid the shot when one on one with the keeper.

The game could have easily finished 6-1 and you would expect Buffel, Prso and Adam to put away the same kind of chances given another shot at it. They were just a bit unlucky this time.

We did play magnificently for long periods in the game and we only looked dodgy for about a 20 minute period in the second half. The football we were playing at times was a joy to watch with one touch pass and move with lots of flicks and back-heels going straight to feet. I lapped it up and found it the most enjoyable game of football for a long time - well with the exception of Scotland against Bulgaria.

The encouraging part is that this was the team's first competitive game using this system and you can tell they will only get better with familiarity and practice. That's why I'd like PLG to keep the same starting 11.

Sure Boyd can come on, but he only needs half an hour to score and has proven to be effective late into games. The same can be said of Burke who runs rings round tired defenders when he comes on fresh.

We have a squad of players and not everyone can get on the starting team-sheet every week. We have to get away from the favourite player syndrome and stick with guys who are doing the job. If some-one's not performing or tired then hook them for another and possibly replace them for the next game. I think this is how competition for places works but managers tend to break it by dropping and playing players for other reasons than their performances.

Totally agree, it makes me even more optimistic for the season ahead. I just don't think that 4 into 1 will go in terms of strikers, so I'm interested to see what PLG's plans are.

I think it's 4 into 2 with Boyd, Prso, Buffel and Sebo. Novo will be well down the pecking order when Sebo comes and Burke is fit.

piss poor game btw! boyd was his usual self, n-diaye was decent too. everyone else was pretty pants to be honest.

actaully the young lad Ponroy wasnt too bad, few slips here and there tho!

bernard and namouchi - oh fecking dear:confused: sooner we get shot the better!

Novo seemed to be trying to hard with wee flicks and complex passes which there was no need for!

piss poor game btw! boyd was his usual self, n-diaye was decent too. everyone else was pretty pants to be honest.

actaully the young lad Ponroy wasnt too bad, few slips here and there tho!

bernard and namouchi - oh fecking dear:confused: sooner we get shot the better!

Novo seemed to be trying to hard with wee flicks and complex passes which there was no need for!

Just shows you how different people see different games - spoke to my m8 who was up last night and whilst he agreed with you on Boyd and N'Diaye, he also thought that Namouchi had a very decent game :)

Cammy F

Just shows you how different people see different games - spoke to my m8 who was up last night and whilst he agreed with you on Boyd and N'Diaye, he also thought that Namouchi had a very decent game :)

Cammy F

:eek: ah well, from what i seen he couldnt hold the ball, he couldnt pass the ball and he certainly cudnt run with the ball.:confused: