Middlesbrough eye summer move for Rangers defender Sasa Papac

Exclusive

Mar 28 2009 By Euan McArthur

ENGLISH side Middlesbrough are on the trail of Rangers star Sasa Papac.

The Premiership strugglers are weighing up a summer swoop for Papac as they bid to solve their troublesome left-back position.

And boss Gareth Southgate is preparing to send a representative north of the border to run the rule over the 25-times capped Bosnia-Herzegovina defender when Rangers return to SPL business next weekend at Falkirk.

Papac, who is preparing for his country's World Cup qualifier in Belgium today, was linked with a move to French club St Etienne last summer but opted to remain at Ibrox to fight for his first-team place.

But the 29-year-old, signed by Frenchman Paul Le Guen during his ill-fated Rangers reign, could leave Govan at the end of the season as part of Walter Smith's much-anticipated Light Blues' clear-out.

Papac joined Rangers from Austria Vienna for s450,000 in August 2006 when Le Guen also raided the Austrian side to snap up Libor Sionko and Filip Sebo.

But his time in Scotland could be coming to an end should Boro believe he is the answer to their search for a new full-back.

Southgate's side are involved in a relegation battle to stay in the top flight after last weekend's defeat away to Stoke left them in second-bottom spot.

But they remain confident of staying up and are identifying possible signing targets for next season to boost their squad.

Papac is not too bad but he loses concentration sometimes, and it costs us. He's by no means alone in that respect mind you.

Personally, I wouldn't be too bothered if he went but I'd be concerned about the quality of any replcement given our soon-to-be-very-real cost-cutting initiative, which I don't think most if us have even got our heads around yet. If we dont win the SPL its going to be absolutely horrendous.

Given the Club's worsening finacial situation, I suspect any bid for almost any player, will be accepted. If the club are determined to promote the younger players into the positions vacated, then our current youth team left back, Wylde looks a decent prospect. I have seen him on 3 occasions these last few weeks and the lad has a good opportunity of making a living from the game. Whether he progresses to the required standard for our club depends on several factors. I think we will get the opportunity to find out.

The current youth team right back, Darren Cole also looks a good prospect. It will be interesting to see if the club is willing to go with natual full backs, as opposed to converted centre backs? We have soldiered on for a considerable period with the latter.

Given the Club's worsening finacial situation, I suspect any bid for almost any player, will be accepted. If the club are determined to promote the younger players into the positions vacated, then our current youth team left back, Wylde looks a decent prospect. I have seen him on 3 occasions these last few weeks and the lad has a good opportunity of making a living from the game. Whether he progresses to the required standard for our club depends on several factors. I think we will get the opportunity to find out.

The current youth team right back, Darren Cole also looks a good prospect. It will be interesting to see if the club is willing to go with natual full backs, as opposed to converted centre backs? We have soldiered on for a considerable period with the latter.

Wylde will remain back up and a cheap journeyman from the SPL or other sub-standard league will come in unfortunately.

I like Papac, but i would be willing to let him go for �£2m considering the financial situation.

BUT, Murray must give at least half of that to a replacement who IS NOT a centre half Walter!!!

Personally i hope Walter is not around to make the decisions for next season.

Personally i hope Walter is not around to make the decisions for next season.

I half hope your wrong Pete.

If your right then it may be because Rangers didnt win the league and we had another poor season, and we simply cannot affoard to do that.

I half hope your wrong Pete.

If your right then it may be because Rangers didnt win the league and we had another poor season, and we simply cannot affoard to do that.

I hope Walter decides to quit on a high.:thup: