Scotland chop looming for under-fire Allan McGregor

SCOTLAND keeper Allan McGregor has had a close shave at the barber's - as speculation intensifies that he could be for the chop from George Burley.

The Rangers keeper booked himself in for the No.1 treatment after returning from Amsterdam on Sunday morning following the 3-0 Group 9 defeat which has left our World Cup qualification campaign hanging by a thread.

But as McGregor was showing off his new haircut to the cameras during a training session at Hampden, George Burley's right-hand man was refusing to confirm he will keep his place between the sticks for tomorrow night's do-or-die clash with Iceland.

Assistant boss Terry Butcher repeatedly dodged questions on the goalkeeping situation when asked if McGregor would continue to keep Sunderland's Craig Gordon out of the team - despite being criticised for his part in Holland's second goal.

Burley named McGregor as his first choice for the Amsterdam ArenA early last week while insisting he could not throw ring-rusty Gordon, who has been axed by his club, into the firing line for a match of such importance.

Now Burley is set to wield the axe with as many as five places in doubt. And when Butcher was asked if McGregor remains in pole position for tomorrow night's must-win clash he said: "We have time to think about it and watch DVDs and see players' reactions.

"We will have a look at the boys in training today and tomorrow. The manager has his thoughts and we have our thoughts and we will have meetings where we put our thoughts forward.

"Ultimately he makes that call so we will wait and see.

"You look at the reaction of the players after the match on Saturday, you look at how the team could line up to beat Iceland and then you pick the team accordingly.

"No position has been confirmed yet. The manager will pick the team and we will back him 100 per cent. It's George's decision who plays and who doesn't play but it's great for us that we have three very good goalkeepers in our squad.

"It's nice that there is great competition for that place."

Butcher did not single out McGregor for any blame over the sloppy goals against the Dutch but the Inverness coach clearly believes Scotland paid a heavy price for negligence at the back.

McGregor was one of two Scotland players to be blocked off by Holland's forwards as Robin van Persie rose unmarked inside the six-yard box to bullet home the killer second goal.

Butcher insists the Scots must be more streetwise against Iceland. He added: "Even though Holland are vastly experienced and skilful they are cute in terms of blocking and doing all the nitty-gritty things.

"Top players do that - they are available again so I've really got to maintain my standards and score a goal here and there.

"There was a bit of luck involved when I went to Cardiff City because Jamie Fowler and Steven Thompson left as soon as I arrived and then I scored a double in my first pre-season game.

"That took the weight off my shoulders and gave me the inner confidence and belief to go out and play.

"When it comes to Scotland, I don't think it really matters just as long as I can get myself into good positions where I can influence the game.

"I'm surprised to have reached this stage so quickly. I'm still only 22 and when I went to Motherwell from Rangers it was obviously a step down.

"However, I thought that if I did well there then I could get myself a decent move and I did that by going to Cardiff.

"My focus when I went there was simply to get in the team. I've done that and also managed to score a lot of goals, which has been pleasing.

"I've scored 18 goals so far and to be given a chance with this group of players has been awesome.

"My main aim when I moved south was to score more than the 11 goals I managed for Motherwell last season and fortunately I've done that."

And now McCormack's targets are set on one thing only - helping to gun down Iceland and keep Scotland's World Cup qualifying quest alive.

He said: "I was satisfied with my first-half performance in Holland the other night.

"I had a bit of the ball and thought I was getting a bit of joy out of Giovanni van Bronckhorst down the right.

"However, in the second half I was switched over to the left and I didn't really make a difference because I didn't get on the ball often enough. I seemed to spend most of the half trying to defend against their right-back.

"Obviously, I was nervous before the kick-off but I knew that to stake my claim for a place in the team I had to get on the ball and make things happen. I felt that I did that in the first half.

"The other night was good but Wednesday is what everyone dreams of as a kid, starting a game for Scotland at Hampden. If I can do that I'll be pleased.

"Iceland aren't the formidable opponents the Dutch were so if I play I will hopefully manage to nick a goal for us."

I guess Burley needed a scapegoat.

No way should Allan be dropped. The cross for the 2nd goal was superb and if you factor in the guy on the line blocking his way, then he had little chance to come for it.

As such he should have been protected by his defenders. Will Fletcher be dropped for losing his man?

No way should Allan be dropped. The cross for the 2nd goal was superb and if you factor in the guy on the line blocking his way, then he had little chance to come for it.

As such he should have been protected by his defenders. Will Fletcher be dropped for losing his man?

Or Alexander and Caldwell for both losing their men at the first?

Or Berra for being at fault at the third? (Well yes he probably he will :devil:).

Would be a joke to use McGregor as a scapegoat.

It was the same with bringing Hutton on IMO, when did Hutton last play a competitive match ?, don't get me wrong the guy is a cracking player and I'm glad to see him back from injury, but Burley refused to play Boyd for not playing well with Rangers !!!!!!, he calls up Whittaker and then throws on a player who is hardly match fit !!!!

i think Burley is out of his depth with the scotland Job, the sooner he goes the better.

Tbh, I turned against him after the Norway game. That killed our hopes off (if we ever had any). I dont see us knocking out a runner up in the play offs, if we make it that far. :(