Broken Promises - Why Do We Do It?

I said a few weeks back, after the Falkirk game, that I was never going to another Rangers away game due to the dross being served up on the pitch, the current financial climate and the harrassement we receive away from Ibrox. Given that, I reluctantly refused an offer of tickets from the St Mirren game as I wanted to visit their new stadium. I resigned myself to not going and watched the game on Sentanta (a free trial via Virgin - refuse to pay for it!).

Anyway, going to the Motherwell game on Saturday and names were being taken for Easter Road on Sunday. Guess what, I stuck my name down of a ticket, so I'm heading into Leithshire on Sunday and look forward to another visit to Easter Road. Now, I have also loved going to Easter Road, there is always a wonderful atmosphere and who can forget Helicopter Sunday? Yip, Easter Road will always have a place in my heart after witnessing the events of Helicpoter Sunday. See, I am trying to justify my decision to break my promise after only missing ONE away game.

I also said that I was 99% certain that I wouldn't renew my season ticket. Guess what? It has been filled out, signed, envaloped, but as yet is unstamped. I know that as soon as we have stamps, I'll post my renewal.

Why do I allow my heart to rule my head when it comes to Rangers? Outwith Rangers, I am a levelheaded person who doesn't allow his heart to rule is head, but when it comes to Rangers, all sense goes out the window.

I hope I have the courage of my convictions and after Easter Road, refuse to go to any post-split away games (yeah, who am I kidding) and refrain from posting my renewal.

Cammy F

Be strong Cammy, be strong!

Personally, I found it an easy decision to cancel my ST. The money I was being asked to pay to watch dross on the pitch wasn't value for money! Spending �£2.50 on a pint of Tennents IS money well spent!

Away games were always my favourite type of games even if we were playing at Livi, Dunfermline or Dundee. I loved them! I loved the fact that sometimes we were in the minority yet still managed to outsing the home supporters. I loved the fact of winning on their ground and winding them up, especially up at Pittodrie. Unfortunately, I've yet to witness 1st hand Rangers win at Parkhead. Hopefully, I'll see it before I kick the bucket.

All the pros aside and they far outwieghed the cons, I found it easy to cancel my ST as I found the money being forked out by me and other supporters was unacceptable.

I thought I'd miss going to Ibrox on a Saturday and I did for the first few home games after I gave up my ST but since then I haven't missed anything about it. I still love the club but the motivation to go and watch the constant dross on the pitch puts me off going. The last 4 games I've gone to at Ibrox I haven't paid for my ticket. If I did have to pay for it I wouldn't have gone!

It's the difference between a fan(atic) and a customer.

Easter Road is one of the away grounds i've been to. Not been to them all like you no doubt have. And the abiding memory is of a plod who was about 8 foot tall. All the Rangers fans around the stadium and surrounding area drinking in the street and clogging up the city, but generally being left alone as long as we weren't causing any trouble. The police were walking around in pairs, probably for their own good. Apart from this man giant stood on the corner of a street alone.

Was about 2001/02 or 02/03 and when Lovenkrands scores he goes wheeling off towards the fans and you can see my wee brother on the season review dvd.

(Apologies for the random unrelated story)

Yip, think it is the fear factor of what I'd be missing that is worrying me the most. Every Other Saturday (nearly broke into a song there) for the last 27 years, I've been tropping of to Ibrox and going to as many away games that I can (ticket allocation being the only barrier). I have even sat in the home end at Pittodrie, Tannidice, Easter Road, Tynecastle, East End Park, Fir Park and the likes, just to watch The Rangers.

As I said, my head knows its time to give it up, but heart is still strong! It still drags me to Ibrox and beyond in the hope (more than expectation) that things will improve, our club will be run correctly and we will be treated with same as supporters of every other club.

I will attempt to stay strong and stick with my convictions....

Cammy F

I too swore blind that i wouldnt be going back next season but now the forms are in ive just about given in and have resigned my self to the the fact that i will be renewing it again!

Its blind loyalty mate. It is the backbone of Rangers football club. Without it the club would be nothing. We will whinge and moan at everything that we think and know is wrong (even stevie wonder jumps on the band wagon these days!) but win lose or draw we turn up at the gates of Ibrox.

It certainly not the entertainment factor!

Dont torture yourself Cammy.

You know fine well that the Rangers is a drug you just cant give up.

You will instinctively know when it is the right time to give up going to the football. At the moment it is clear you still love it, despite the poor offerings on show in recent years.

It is times like these that make the good times all the more enjoyable. If you have not suffered the bad times, the good times are not as good.

Get that renewal away, you know it makes sense (well actually it makes no sense at all) and perhaps, just perhaps, the good times are not too far away.

I think there are fans of 40 other clubs in Scotland who would love to see their team serve up the dross that Rangers are delivering. Yet many of them buy their season tickets every season to watch a much lower level of football with no chance of winning Scotland's premier football competition, or qualifying for the Champion's league.

Others pay for Setanta while only getting to see their team shown between 3 and 6 times a year, and mostly being gubbed by the Old Firm.

The fans lucky enough to have their team qualify for Europe have recently paid good money for the pleasure of being ousted early on by almost unheard of teams.

There are many levels of being a football fan, and I for one feel privileged to support a team who challenge for top honours pretty much every year and even give some decent showings in Europe. When finishing runners up in the UEFA cup and only losing the league due to exceptional and unfair circumstances while winning both cups, then the next season, narrowly losing one cup final, being one point behind in the league and in the semi of the other cup, when all that isn't enough for a football "fan" then it's probably time to watch a different sport, stop supporting a club and become neutral, or just become one of the millions of armchair Man U, Chelsea or Barcelona fans - which is the way football seems to be going.

If all that is dross then how can football have a future when so many clubs cannot even realistically aspire to serve up that dross? If everyone thought like that we'd at best have a two team league and play Celtic every week.

You have to admire the fans of non-OF teams who have the character to stick in there when there is little promise of more than a yearly struggle to be an also ran.

I think Cammy's heart is ruling his head because his heart is in the right place while his head is turning into the "customer" that many despise SDM for treating us as.