Do we have the making s of a team for the future?

Now I know we've had a topsy turvy season and many think we're still shite despite sitting top of the league, but is it starting to look like we've got the makings of a half decent team for next season and beyond.

Now a few results don't make a season but then as some say, "the table doesn't lie" and that is despite seeming to have a team, yet again, in transition.

What I think we have definitely seen is quite a few players who have shown potential - and most of them are pretty young and seem to be constantly developing.

If we can keep who we choose then our core squad could start with:

Alexander - no spring chicken but not exactly old for a keeper, he shown us a safe pair of hands in almost every game he's played. He's consistent and gives us few heart attack moments. I'm warming to him a lot more than MacGregor.

Whittaker - a frustrating player who has been inconsistent but shown so many flashes of pure genius. In quite a few games he's been the most exciting player on the park with some goal of the season contenders to show for it, but in others he's incredibly poor. I think lately he's showing a lot more of his good side and if he can continue to do that I think he'll start to be able to fill Hutton's shoes.

Bougherra - what can you say about the most consistently classy player in the team? He's acheived the impossible in creating the term, "Carlos who?" It may not be possible but I'd love to see him stay long term and become a Rangers legend like Butcher and Gough.

Steve Davis - He's had plenty of poor games this season but when he plays well he lifts the whole team and our overall performances dramatically improve. Many would say he's playing out of position, but would he be better than Mendes in the middle? I think he'll be a far better player next season when he'll hopefully recapture his Aston Villa form but with maturity improving him. You never know, that OF performance could be the making of him.

Mendes - he's actually been a disappointment despite probably being the first name on most fans teamsheet. One wonders if he's still adjusting to Scottish football and will show us the real deal next season. He's been too quiet in most games, rarely beating a player and coming up with few decent shots resulting in a low goals return. I sometimes feel he's lacking a bit in pace which even the most skilful players need to skip past players (well except for Gazza). I still see him as massive potential who might also play better with a better performing team around him.

Thomson - probably the captain for next season and deservedly so. Seemed to be our best player before injury and has been a huge loss which is only recently been mitigated by Edu. Destined to be an Ibrox great there is no doubting his potential.

Edu - slow start for the light blues but now putting in MOTM performances every week. I thought he might be a bit lightweight but he is repeatedly proving me wrong. Shows grit and tenacity which is highly valued in the Ibrox stands as well as composure and ability to read the game. Definitely a better option than Ferguson and together with Thomson will give the manager a selection headache next season. With him deserving to keep his place, we might not see Thomson again for a while...

Lafferty - derided with his initial performances which in no way matched his price tag, but perhaps because for some reason he's completely crap at left wing. When put up front he was just starting to convert the Ibrox faithful when he also was struck down with a badly timed injury. Another that perhaps needs some time but who could come good very soon. He certainly has youth on his side.

Boyd - the enigma who seems to need a right kick up the arse every few games and actually seems to respond to such a bollocking. He seems to improve his all round game for a while only to slip back to his lazy, immobile, non contributing self. If we can get him to put in a shift EVERY week then he could perhaps unite the fans who are so clearly divided over his usefulness.

Miller - He's been a strange one. If anyone needed to win over the fans with a fine run of form it's been him, but he's not quite been able to do that - maybe due to niggling injuries. Blows very hot and cold, but when he's hot, he's on fire. Don't know whether his finishing is poor or just damn unlucky, he could certainly improve his own all round game by even getting half the goals of Boyd. But perhaps he just needs a second, less pressurised season to show his full ability.

Velicka - the forgotten man who came in from the cold and showed a Boydesque knack of hitting the onion bag on a regular basis. Seemed to gel well with our most prolific striker with the latter actually providing the Lithuanian with a couple of the final balls for his goals. Seems to me to be a good squad player for the SPL who will certainly get valuable goals in domestic competition.

Fleck - showed flashes of the future but probably in the end caught up in the pressure of our make our break season. He's only 17 so probably needs another season of kid gloves before being let off the leash. In the end he may have disappointed a few fans but that would be unfair to such a young lad. He's got talent but few understand the human element of the pressure of 50,000 fans who demand a top notch performance every game. He'll learn and is destined to be the Scottish player of his generation.

Appart from those top choices we have the potential of quite a few other in the squad:

Aaron - will probably start making more of an appearance next season, especially if we get the SPL title monkey off our backs. Many forget he's still 18 and will need a gentle introduction.

Furman - will hopefully benefit from his loan spell and start to figure on the edges of the team. Will have stiff competition from Thomson and Edu but still one for the future.

Webster - could be the partner we need for Boogie if he could just get fit enough for 5 minutes to get a shot in the team. Difficult to introduce him with Boogie and Weir forming such a solid partnership in this crucial season, so unless we discard him, he could be a potential equivalent to a new top signing if he gets back to his best.

Smith - Still looks a shadow of his former self, done ok at left wing but looking increasingly average. Needs to try to re-establish himself at left back but if he can achieve that is anyone's guess.

Adam - doing tremendously well for Blackpool, but then has he just found his level as a Championship player?

Beasley - is another who has shown potential but just doesn't seem to stay fit long enough to cut it in the SPL.

There's quite a few kids also doing well on loan who could start to make an impression.

Then we have some of the lesser sung mainstays of the squad like Broadfoot, Papac and Novo who enhance our squad.

So in conclusion, if we could manage a few decent signings in the summer, optimistically with the income from CL, most notably a central defender, a left back, and two wide men, we might have a squad that develops into a pretty decent team.

Agree with most your assessments.

Utilising only current players our squad for next season could look something like:

Alexander/McGregor

Whittaker/Broadfoot Bougherra/Webster ?/Weir Papac/Smith

Davis/Novo Thomson/Edu Mendes/Furman Fleck/Aaron

Boyd/Velicka Miller/Lafferty

This would assume the departure of Dailly, Hemdani, Beasley and maybe McCulloch. Oh and of course Ferguson.

Obviously, most imnportant is a partner for Boogie. Should we gain automatic CL qualification might this be enough to keep our star man? Webster and possibly even Weir, along with Wilson could be back up.

With the realisation finances are tight, I would continue with Papac and Smith. That might not be the most exciting proposition but Papac in particularly rarely lets us down.

We seem to flit back and forth with the strength of our RB options this season. Broadfoot or Whittaker will have a run of good games, we claim they're long term first choice right back and then they lose form or get injured. Having two reasonable options here should hopefully be enough. Our meagre resources will be needed elsewhere for bringing in players.

We could do with a proper right midfielder. That would leave Novo struggling for games up front. I like the wee man and would keep him. WOuld he be prepared to be 5th choice striker/right midfield back up. It would allow Davis to play CM, though I now doubt Smith ever sees him as a long term option infield.

I would like a genuine attacking midfielder to bring guile and flair to the midfield. I thought Mendes was that man. Now i'm not so sure. This kind of player is one of the most expensive and I doubt we have the funds. As such we will likely have to make do with a workman like midfield again and rely on the strikers to continue to bang in the vast majority of goals.

Left midfield. Always a problem. Will Aaron and Fleck fight it out for the jersey. Unlikely. Aaron may only be here for next season in any case. Might Adam or McCulloch fill the role, possibly. Will Smith remain first choice into next year? Unlikely imo. An experienced quality player for this position is paramount but may rely on shipping out some of the utility men who have filled in in this position.

Upfront and a new quality striker is always welcome. Boyd's strike rate is unrivalled. However yet again he is still to prove we can rely on him in the big games, despite a good team performance we need the goals. Whislt Miller is a certainty to remain I'm not convinced with him either. His 2 purple patches in terms of form this season have been very brief compared to his runs of poor form, yet fortunately the spells of good form have coincided with some huge OF encounters glossing over an up and down season. I would prefer a player who we can rely on to the business 7 or 8 games out of 10 at a minimum (not just the goals guys). A back up place should be the most he can expect because of this.

Velicka is like the Boyd many know and love/hate. Scores goals but not much else. Boyd's back up for when Kris is misfiring or joining him up top when we need the firepower.

Lafferty has the makings of a very good forward if he can gain consistency, stay injury free and add a bit of urgency to his game, to cavalier at times in and around the box. Could be a first choice partnership with Boyd. Or possibly Smith will need to find a rotation policy for keeping his big guns happy.

As I state another real quality performer here would be appreciated. However it would require the shifting of a current striker who would not be Lafferty or Miller.

I've no doubt missed a couple of fringe players and got a few guys out of position E.g. Novo. But that is because they are more often than not filling in in this less familiar position than competing for their first choice position.

Realistically we need to shift some fringe players and dead wood to bring anyone in. Hopefully we can keep the star performers and build from a position of strength. Only so many times will you get away with plugging gaps like we did with Cuellar/Bougherra.

Will depend on how many players we have to sell in the summer. Make no mistake, we are going to loose up to 10 players. We have had makings of decent squads before but due to us having to sell players, we have never had conistancy. You can have as many good players as you wish, but if they aren't allowed to gell into a team, you will continue to struggle.

I'd have Alexander ahead of McGregor, in fact wouldn't be fussed if McGregor was sold (he is a sellable asset).

SW is a wonderful player and one of the only players we have that can actually get the ball down and run at opponents. He has suferred since joining Rangers as WS has played him in FOUR different positions. IMO he'd make a brilliant right back and deserves a run in this position.

Papac is currently first choice left back but can see if leaving the club if a suitable offer is received. We urgently require a left back and if the rumours are to be believed, Michael Ball coulb be heading back to Ibrox in the summer.

Boogie is deffinately one who will be sold. He has had a fantastic season and strolled through yesterdays encounter. We didn't think that WS could replace CC - can he find yet another fantstic centre-half?

Weir - coming to the end of his career and we will NOT get another season out of him.

Stevie Smith - sorry, but can't see him remaining at Ibrox

Davis - needs to be moved centrally and this could happen as I expect Mendes to be one of the players moved on in the summer.

Edu - fantastic player and one that should be a mainstay of the team for years to come (if he isn't sold)

Thomson - if the rumours are to believed, he was on his way to the EPL THIS summer. This will now be on hold dur to his injury but if he returns to the form pre-injury he'll be sold in the January window.

Mendes - he will be sold in the summer

Lafferty - will take over from Boyd when Boyd finally leaves. Rangers will actively try to sell Boyd in the summer if he survives the cull, he will not receive a new contract and be allowed to leave nest summer

Novo - another player I'd expect to leave in the summer

Boyd - see above

Miller - revitalised his career so a move away not impossible as we are desperate for any money we can rake in

Velicka - another one who'll be moved on

Fleck - not as promising a season as we'd expected and the future is not as clear cut as we all thought it would be.

Aaron - simply can't understand why this lad was signed on loan. Expect him to return to Valancia sooner rather than later.

We'll also loose squad players like McCulloch, Dailly, Beasley etc in an attempt to curb costs. Until we can regain a level of consistancy, we'll be up against it.

Cammy F

What has been extremely pleasing the last couple of months is the number of fringe, mainly young, players who for most of the season haven�t even been near the bench, who have come into the team and propelled us to the biggest winning streak since Walter returned.

Edu gets better with each game, and was different class yesterday. Itââ?¬â?¢s interesting to finally find out what sort of player he is ââ?¬â?? all weââ?¬â?¢ve known for most of the season is heââ?¬â?¢s a midfielder of some sort, but itââ?¬â?¢s apparent now that heââ?¬â?¢s a destroyer, he breaks up play and has real bite ââ?¬â?? the black Stuart McCall anyone? I just wonder if heââ?¬â?¢s too similar a player to Kevin Thomson to feature regularly next season, but it would be nice if we could fit them both into the team somehow because they are two top, top players. Barryââ?¬â?¢s departure (hopefully) in the summer will be a good thing IMO. We simply donââ?¬â?¢t need him any more and have better players. Time to let go.

Our strikers are finding the net at just the right time, and much credit has to go to Velicka who I believe has scored in every start for the club (including the winner at Falkirk in the first game of the season). I was a bit surprised he was dropped yesterday, but Walter got it spot on as Miller has that priceless commodity that the bheasts have struggled with all decade (arguably since Jansen) ââ?¬â?? pace. Perhaps it was more a question of whether to play Velicka or Boyd with Miller, but it would be a brave manager that played two up without Boyd.

Between the sticks, whichever way you look at it Alexander is the man in possession and unless I�ve forgotten something he hasn�t put a foot wrong since he arrived at Ibrox. I do worry about Walter and his policy of favouritism, which has seen McGregor return prematurely before, but I�d like to think Alexander starts next season as the man in possession still.

Whittaker has, for me, come on to something of a game the past month or so. I feel sorry for him getting shunted about the team, but even so, after 18 months I don�t think it�s unreasonable to expect him to repay his transfer fee next season by nailing some form early doors and pushing on for the whole season.

Bougherra staying on could very well be a crucial factor in our fortunes next season. While it�s too much to expect him to stay for the rest of his career and become a Rangers legend, I�d like to think that if we win the title this year he�ll stay for at least another season to have a crack at the Champions League. I can�t see many other clubs in the CL snapping him up to be honest.

Whether or not Bougy stays though ââ?¬â?? and whether or not Weir stays for that matter - we need to sign one if not two centre-backs in the summer. Even if Weir stays Iââ?¬â?¢m not convinced heââ?¬â?¢ll still be an ever-present next season. Excellent though he has been, in a number of games this season his lack of pace has started to show, and all going well this month weââ?¬â?¢ll have some quality European outfits coming to Ibrox next season.

I�d like to see Steve Davis be a fixture in this Rangers side for years to come. A real quality player who I�m convinced would have snubbed the SPL had he not been a Bear. Although slightly inconsistent, perhaps some fans need to remember he�s still only 23/24 and will improve. As Calscot says, when he�s on the ball it seems to rub off on the entire team. Ideally I�d like to see him start next season in central midfield where I believe he�s had his best games for us, but he may have to continue on the right to accommodate Edu and KT in the middle.

Pedro Mendes has lived off that bheggar-buster at Parkhead for too long now. Champions League football might see him stay at Ibrox but if we don�t win the league I think he�ll be one of the first out the door as we try to stay above water financially.

Kevin Thomson is the best player at the club. A stick-on for captain next year, may he be here for many years to come.

Lafferty has been unlucky with injury, particularly the one he picked up a few weeks back as heâ��d finally found some rhythm and a few goals. Still only 21, thereâ��s certainly potential there and having shelled out �£3.5m for him I canâ��t see him going anywhere soon. I just hope he has a good pre-season and is fully fit and raring to go for the start of next season.

Next season is the most important of Kris Boydââ?¬â?¢s career. Heââ?¬â?¢s shown some genuine signs of taking the criticism on board the past couple of months ââ?¬â?? he now needs an entire season of graft as well as his goals to convince me he has a long-term future at the club. However, despite our current winning run, weââ?¬â?¢ve shown this season weââ?¬â?¢re still susceptible to dropping silly points against teams we should be sweeping aside (i.e. St Murn, Inverness). So if weââ?¬â?¢re willing to let Boyd go we need to have some sort of plan to deal with his absence. The anti-Boyd crowd simply cannot be allowed to moan about a lack of goals if and when Boyd leaves. Just as Scott McDonaldââ?¬â?¢s goals won Celtic the title last year, if we win the league this year itââ?¬â?¢ll be thanks to Boydââ?¬â?¢s goals. Those couple of months after telling Burley where to go he was absolutely on fire.

Miller is almost as much an enigma as Boyd. I still believe he is an impact player as much as anything else. He can be the difference in games - as he was yesterday ââ?¬â?? but then he can be consistently dreadful for weeks on end, as he was around Jan-Feb time. A very handy player to have at the club but not suited to being the first name on the teamsheet week in week out as he was earlier in the season. In fact Iââ?¬â?¢d rather start Novo regularly than Miller. I fear next year will be Novoââ?¬â?¢s last at the club he has served with such distinction. Although another impact player, he has been used so sparingly by Walter that it is almost impossible for him to build up any sort of steam, even if the ability is still there, as was evident in the CIS Semi when he led Falkirk a merry dance. I think heââ?¬â?¢s still only 29/30 and will probably want to see out the last year of his contract before heading for pastures new and regular first-team action, probably in the Championship. As with all speculation on next season however, much depends on who will be managing the club. A new manager could rescue his Rangers career again just as Le Guen did.

If Fleck has a wise head above those talented feet then he�ll be a star, but it may not be next season. Get the Highers out the way first son ;). Would like to see a bit more of him though, we�ve had nothing more than a glimpse of him this season - perhaps understandably given the desperately high stakes surrounding this championship.

Hopefully Aaron will get more of a look-in in what will be his last season at the club. I wonder if Walter doesn�t fancy him though, and there were rumours about Valencia being unhappy at his lack of action. And we have so many midfield players as it is, who�s to say we won�t add one or two more in the summer.

Stevie Smith has, for the time being at least, rescued his Rangers career and will hopefully now have next season to show whether he can recreate on a consistent basis the form he showed under Le Guen. Whether at LB or LM I don't know, I personally preferred him at LB before his injury. Seems to have great character and a wise head on him, much like KT.

Furman, Loy and Shinnie have all had successful seasons on loan, and I have it on authority from Jim Lauchlan�s (Dundee) brother-in-law that Efrem is a big talent (and a full international now I think). But Walter and youth and awrat�

Webster ââ?¬â?? has had his chance, scandalous that he is still picking up a wage from us.

Adam ââ?¬â?? no thanks.

Beasley ââ?¬â?? nope.

Papac offers consistency, continuity, and the odd top-drawer performance. Broadfoot as well perhaps to a lesser extent, but Papac a keeper for next season surely.

Like I say though, so much depends on who our manager is next season. I�ve heard from various pundits that Walter is fighting for his job, I guess meaning he�ll stay if we win the league. I�m not so sure. He admits himself he has learnt the lesson from 1997/98 not to announce his departure until the season is over. I expect we�ll hear one way or the other very shortly after the Scottish Cup Final.

If Norris gets the nod though, the line-up might go a little like this:-

--------------------------Alexander

Whittaker ---- *NEW SIGNING* ---- Bougherra ---- Papac

--- Davis ---- Thomson © ---- Edu ---- *NEW SIGNING*

------------- Boyd ---- *NEW SIGNING*

Funnily enough as you were the first to mention some of the young boys out on loan, I too have heard good things about Efrem (though not the same quality of source i'm afraid) but also seen a rumour he's back off to Cyprus and Omonia. :(

Boogie is off.

Lafferty looks a diamond to me.

Boyd is off against his wishes.

Pablo Escobar will stay.

BF will stay.

Edu is certainly not fantastic Cammy, he took a wee knock on his knee and the scum had near on 70% posession 2nd half as a result.

Only signings we will make will be Ulstermen so I've heard and we already have the best two.

Hope to God you're all wrong about Boogie. He wants to stay, he's made that clear; and we seem to be holding out for a high fee, so why is it inevitable? If we sold him, we would need TWO CB's, as he really needs a partner. If the option is 35 year old Hriedarrson (sp) then no thanks.

If it's a toss-up between Boyd and Boogie, I'd rather it was (sorry) Boyd. We can replace him more easily. Just because we replaced Carlos, it is unlikely we can do so again. And you build teams from the back.

Great post Calscot.

I'll keep my reply short and simple. I think next season, win or lose the league we'll have a team with the average age of 30. There will be a few youngsters in there but also a few older players bringing the average age of the team up ie Weir and Dailly.

Hope to God you're all wrong about Boogie. He wants to stay, he's made that clear; and we seem to be holding out for a high fee, so why is it inevitable? If we sold him, we would need TWO CB's, as he really needs a partner. If the option is 35 year old Hriedarrson (sp) then no thanks.

If it's a toss-up between Boyd and Boogie, I'd rather it was (sorry) Boyd. We can replace him more easily. Just because we replaced Carlos, it is unlikely we can do so again. And you build teams from the back.

If we don't win the league he'll be one of the first to go. Champions League football might just see him stay on though. Reason #427 why this season's title is so important.

Boogie is off.

Lafferty looks a diamond to me.

Boyd is off against his wishes.

Pablo Escobar will stay.

BF will stay.

Edu is certainly not fantastic Cammy, he took a wee knock on his knee and the scum had near on 70% posession 2nd half as a result.

Only signings we will make will be Ulstermen so I've heard and we already have the best two.

Cammy and Cotter's guide on how to kill post OF win euphoria! :flipa:

Think you've giving Edu a hard time here.

Totally agree with Norris post above.

I'm still confident we can keep Boogie should we guarantee the Champions League Bounty by winning the league. He said he left Sheff Wed too early for a fleeting taste of EPL football. I think he would look to stay and test himself in the CL, possibly moving on the following year depending any number of imponderables.