First up, I only saw the 1st half yesterday so can't comment on his 2nd half performance.

He was a great talent and I for one was itching for him to get his starting position back in the first XI again. Yes he may be back in the first XI but his performances haven't exactly set the world alight, or even Govan!!

What did you make of his performance yesterday and his performances in general since returning to the 1st team? He's not a left sided midfielder so I won't be to tough on him in my analysis.

Honestly, I think he's been no better than average. He's another option that's been tried and tested in the problematic left sided area and another failure. I think the reason WS has been playing him there is because he's more defence minded which is what WS likes.

Yesterday was an ideal opportunity for WS to put him back into his natural position of LB but decided to go with an ageing Dailly at RB and Whittaker out of position at LB with another player out of position at LW ahead of Whittaker. Strange! I digress anyway.

Let's face it, it's looking like he won't be playing in his natural position after yesterdays team selection by WS. I'm not saying WS got it wrong yesterday, he obviously never but a fit Smith at LB is better than a fit Whittaker a LB. A fit Whittaker at RB is better than a fit Dailly at RB. It works itself out.

Anyway, since returning from injury, he hasn't really impressed me. I think that's 5 games he's played on the bounce now.

If he's not going to be played in his natural position then he should be moved on. Simple! It's sad it might come to that but it'll be best for his career.

First up, I only saw the 1st half yesterday so can't comment on his 2nd half performance.

He was a great talent and I for one was itching for him to get his starting position back in the first XI again. Yes he may be back in the first XI but his performances haven't exactly set the world alight, or even Govan!!

What did you make of his performance yesterday and his performances in general since returning to the 1st team? He's not a left sided midfielder so I won't be to tough on him in my analysis.

Honestly, I think he's been no better than average. He's another option that's been tried and tested in the problematic left sided area and another failure. I think the reason WS has been playing him there is because he's more defence minded which is what WS likes.

Yesterday was an ideal opportunity for WS to put him back into his natural position of LB but decided to go with an ageing Dailly at RB and Whittaker out of position at LB with another player out of position at LW ahead of Whittaker. Strange! I digress anyway.

Let's face it, it's looking like he won't be playing in his natural position after yesterdays team selection by WS. I'm not saying WS got it wrong yesterday, he obviously never but a fit Smith at LB is better than a fit Whittaker a LB. A fit Whittaker at RB is better than a fit Dailly at RB. It works itself out.

Anyway, since returning from injury, he hasn't really impressed me. I think that's 5 games he's played on the bounce now.

If he's not going to be played in his natural position then he should be moved on. Simple! It's sad it might come to that but it'll be best for his career.

He was absolutely atrocious yesterday. I would not have let him start the second half. On yesterday's performance i would not have much confidence in putting him in the last line of defence.

I'm not going to be to harsh on the guy on the basis of 5 appearances in god knows how many years. We all remember the young LB he was before his injury nightmares, and who's to say he can't get back to that player following a good pre season?

At the moment he's been brought into do a job by Walter, and i'd call his performaces so far steady. I think Walter realises himself he's not ready to be LB at the moment, and hence playing him in left midfield so has the 'security' of a man behind him while he gets back upto speed. To be brought into the 1st team at the business end of the season after the length of time he's been out and expect top notch performances out of him is a BIG ask.

My wish is that the lad has a good pre-season and can stay clear of injuries. Is needing Walter to show confidence in him, which will hopefully build up Stevens own confidence and we'll perhaps end up with an international class Scot at left back, something we all thought he'd be by now.

Aye if he ever gets a game at LB. I'm ecstatic at being top, but Walter's obsession with playing guys out of position is beginning to border on the ridiculous.

Ach I'm pished, but still, come on it's a fuckin joke. Daily in a Rangers shirt as well. Jeebus.

Anyway fuck the beggars. Right up them.

Having said that I'm shitting myself about the run in......

Edited by Cotter
pished

At the moment he's been brought into do a job by Walter, and i'd call his performaces so far steady. I think Walter realises himself he's not ready to be LB at the moment, and hence playing him in left midfield so has the 'security' of a man behind him while he gets back upto speed. To be brought into the 1st team at the business end of the season after the length of time he's been out and expect top notch performances out of him is a BIG ask.

These two paragraphs sum up most my views on Smith and his inclusion at LM. Long term though I would only keep him as a left back option as i'm not convinced by him at LM. As has been stated, he's playing there to add defensive steel to Walter's line up.

yet more scathing critisism for a young lad fighting his way back from a horrendous injury and after 5 games there are certain quarters who are unimpressed and have written him off.

get a grip ffs!

this boy could save us a few quid next season and i for one will give him the time he needs to get back to the form he showed earlier in his career.

It will be well worth the wait if he does recapture his form from earlier days.

we have nothing to lose by giving him the chance.

get off his bloody back.

I think he also needs to be given some slack as he is by no means a left midfielder. It is plain for all to see that when confronted with an opponent he looks to pass the ball off rather than take a player on. He isn't a flair player who will beat a man. So at LM he will struggle to do a job with the ball played into his feet where he is then expected to beat a player.

Where he COULD excel as a LM is by using his pace to get behind the opponent and racing onto a nice through ball from our CM's - he then beats the opponent with his pace rather than skill - and his crossing is very decent.

But that requires 1) a CM who has the vision to play that through ball (Mendes has the ability but so often doesnt use it and 2) a manager who actually WANTS Stevie Smith to get forward. I reckon that Stevie Smith was told by WS not to venture too far forward on Saturday and simply to nullify the threat of Nakamura.

And if that is what WS told Stevie Smith then it was job well done, because Nakamura, as per usual, was mince.

I'm a big fan of Smith and if the truth be told I would have had him and Whittaker as 1st choice left and right back all along. Unfortunately he's been really unlucky with injuries since WS took over and this season he's had to wait for his chance.

TBH, I think if he can regain some form then he's capable of doing a really good job for us in LM. His major asset as a LB was his ability going forward. He's got good pace, can put in a great cross and he's the best option we have defensively at LM. When he was at peak form a few years back I can remember him going off injured and thinking we'd just lost one of our best attacking assets. I really hope we give him a chance.

That said, he really did have a stinker of a game on Saturday and I would have to single both him and Dailly out as being our worst performers on the day.

yet more scathing critisism for a young lad fighting his way back from a horrendous injury and after 5 games there are certain quarters who are unimpressed and have written him off.

get a grip ffs!

this boy could save us a few quid next season and i for one will give him the time he needs to get back to the form he showed earlier in his career.

It will be well worth the wait if he does recapture his form from earlier days.

we have nothing to lose by giving him the chance.

get off his bloody back.

He was atrocius on Sunday though. He deserved the criticism! We have a title to lose if he continues to play to the standard he has being doin recently.

If he's not improved by this time next season then yes I would say get rid but he needs time to settle back in and hopefully get back to his best. Hutton took over 6 months to get back to his best form (fans were calling him for everything in that time) so I will give Smith at least that amount of time before I judge him again. A full injury free pre-season will hopefully get him on the right road again..................