I think this lad deserves a wee thread of his own. Subject to a lot of (valid) criticism during his Rangers career so far, it's time he got some praise.

Over the last few weeks he's been our best player despite being moved about still. Defensively sound and dangerous going forward; his whole game seems to be moving towards the standards Hutton found before he left for Spurs.

Let's hope he can keep his form for this weekend especially!

:rfc:

I think this lad deserves a wee thread of his own. Subject to a lot of (valid) criticism during his Rangers career so far, it's time he got some praise.

Over the last few weeks he's been our best player despite being moved about still. Defensively sound and dangerous going forward; his whole game seems to be moving towards the standards Hutton found before he left for Spurs.

Let's hope he can keep his form for this weekend especially!

:rfc:

Only thing I disagree with is the 'defensively sound' bit. I think he can improve a lot there. And I think he has scored more than Hutton did (though correct me if I'm wrong.). When he goes on a run, you get off your seat. How many other Gers players can you say that aobut?

When he goes on a run, you get off your seat. How many other Gers players can you say that aobut?

That's just it no-one else is capable or willing to do so. As Gasgoigne said recently it's coached out of modern footballers which is a disgrace.

I agree that the best part of his play is in attack. He's one of our most exciting players at the moment when takes a player or four on.

I suggested he had a bit of genius in him a while back when comparing him to Broadfoot to justify his better wage, and that if he could get some consistency and work on his defensive skills he would be an able replacement for the latter day Hutton. There's no way Broadfoot, consistent as he is, has the skill level to be able to demand the same wage as the former Hibee.

Whittaker was a very good attacking player for Hibs but a bit frail defensively and slow at getting back, which led to many, including me, thinking that he was originally signed as a potential right midfielder who could also cover as right back. He was tried there at the beginning and his level of performance wasn't good enough - but with his recent improvement, I think that could still be his best position.

He's the kind of player I want to see up the pitch more often rather than sitting in defence.

The likes of Whittaker, Davis, Edu, Thomson and Lafferty have all shown glimpses that they could develop into really excellent players; it's just a pity that none of them have consistently played anywhere near their best for much of the season (with Thomson due to injury).

Perhaps that will change next season, with Fleck, Furman and Aaron also coming into the mix.

In addition, it would be nice to see Smith and Naismith start to regain their previous promise.

I agree about the defensive nature of his game being open to question but I think he's shown a lot of improvement there lately.

On Saturday he ended up at centre-half alongside Weir and did very well.

I agree he's improved defensively - although still nowhere near the standards of Hutton before he left. My description of it being his frailty was mostly aimed at his time at Hibs.

He's definitely improved but I'd like to see that improvement continue, especially when Broadfoot often looks a lot more solid defensively.

However, I think both Hutton and Broadfoot both improved immensely after Walter and co arrived, as did Papac at left back, and so hopefully they can get the same improvement out of Whittaker.