Walter Smith: Title crunch will not decide my Rangers future

by Alison McConnell

Rangers manager Walter Smith has insisted that his future at Ibrox will NOT be determined by this weekend's events.

Speculation has abounded that both he and Celtic counterpart Gordon Strachan will step down regardless of what happens in the race for the Championship.

But speaking before the do-or-die trip to Tannadice, Smith said: "Nothing that happens in the next few days will determine my future one way or the other, unless the chairman says differently."

advertisement

And the Ibrox boss was satisfied that common sense prevailed as defender Madjid Bougherra, as expected, was cleared to play in the critical game against United.

"It is important for us to have him back," he said. "He has been excellent for us this season.

"I am delighted that the decision has been reversed and I am pleased for the lad himself because he has missed a number of big games for us this season and we didn't want him to miss this one."

Georgios Samaras cranked up the pressure by insisting that Rangers will not be worthy champions if they win the title, but Smith dismissed theories that this will give his side further motivation to win on Sunday.

"That would be a poor motivator for anyone," said the Rangers boss. "Everyone in Scotland has an opinion - we read and listen to them every day.

"Motivation to win a Championship comes from within. It comes from within a manager and from within players. "Grasping at something else isn't proper motivation."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2509846.0.0.php

Some good quotes there...

I'd be happier if we had shown signs of being able to motivate ourselves this season. We haven't which is my biggest worry for Sunday.

Some good quotes there...

I'd be happier if we had shown signs of being able to motivate ourselves this season. We haven't which is my biggest worry for Sunday.

Agreed Frankie.... but 90 minutes of leaving nothing out on the field should not be a big ask for ANY professional footballer.

I won't say that we have a bunch of bottlers if we don't win the league IF they leave nothing on the pitch (because we all know that results are not guaranteed and Utd are a very decent outfit)

What simply CANNOT happen is that the effort and determination isnt there.

First goal vital - we go behind we wont get better than a draw. We go in front and the confidence boost should be increased exponentially.

"Motivation to win a Championship comes from within. It comes from within a manager and from within players. "Grasping at something else isn't proper motivation."

Wish i'd seen this before starting the thread I did. Would have been great for a bit of compare and contrast! No silly comments from Smith. Celtic could learn from that.

Wish i'd seen this before starting the thread I did. Would have been great for a bit of compare and contrast! No silly comments from Smith. Celtic could learn from that.

To be fair.... Strachan hasnt really said anything untoward - he just cant control his players mouths...

To be fair.... Strachan hasnt really said anything untoward - he just cant control his players mouths...

Nope, but Samaras, Caldwell and no doubt a few others have. :box:

Smith has kept his players from saying anything stupid thus far.

Class. Dignity. One team has it.:rfc:

What a great quote from WS - it's absolutely Struthian! Regardless of what you think about his management decisions, when it comes to dignity and discipline matters he's almost without peer. A point we should bear in mind when considering any possible successor.

Edited by alexscottislegend
spelling