Baz on the brink of Brum switch

Jul 15 2009 Keith Jackson

EXCLUSIVE

Barry Ferguson was last night on the verge of securing a �£1.5million return to the Premiership.

Record Sports understands the deposed Rangers captain was told not to join his team-mates at pre-season trainingyesterday after transfer talks opened up with Birmingham City.

The move came after Brum boss Alex McLeish advised his board that Ferguson is now his priority target.

The ex-Gers gaffer believes the 31-year-old former Blackburn star is still good enough for the Premier League and instructed managing director Karen Brady to shake hands on a fee with his old club yesterday morning.

Ferguson was later sent away from Murray Park and told to stand by his phone.

Although no agreement had been struck between the clubs at close of business last night Fergie is preparing to travel south today to undergo a medical and thrash out personal terms.

The player's days at Ibrox have been numbered since Gers boss Walter Smith stripped him of the captaincy in April in the wake of the Scotland boozegate scandal.

I will be dissapointed to see him leave as not the best way to leave a club you love and have brought sucess too.

I still feel he is the best midfielder we have in the middle of the park but if Walter brings Davis into Midfield along with a fit Kevin Thomson then it could be an exciting time ahead , were will Pedro Mendes fit in ? and who would take the Right ?

If he does go i reckon �£1.5M is a fair enough fee for him considering

also i think he will do a job for Big Eck down there.

I think a lot of us will be very very interested to see how BF gets on in the EPL. He will either shut a helluva lot of people up or prove a lot of people right.

I've never been one for slagging BF too much (apart from his stinking attitude sometimes) and it was only last season I started to feel the team was no poorer when he wasn't there. I'd like him to have a great couple of seasons but I'll be honest and say I'll be surprised if he looks anything but quite ordinary down there. Apart from composure on the ball (often to no effect), he just doesn't do enough to stand out these days imo. I genuinely hope I'm wrong.

I think a lot of us will be very very interested to see how BF gets on in the EPL. He will either shut a helluva lot of people up or prove a lot of people right.

I've never been one for slagging BF too much (apart from his stinking attitude sometimes) and it was only last season I started to feel the team was no poorer when he wasn't there. I'd like him to have a great couple of seasons but I'll be honest and say I'll be surprised if he looks anything but quite ordinary down there. Apart from composure on the ball (often to no effect), he just doesn't do enough to stand out these days imo. I genuinely hope I'm wrong.

Agreed,I for one would love to see him go to the EPL,if he goes, and show he is still a quality player,he is the best player to come through our youth system and has been the best Scottish player since he established himself in the Rangers team,IMO,as well as being a great servant to Rangers FC,Thanks Barry and all the best

Sad way to end it all, but I think the time is right for change. It would be nice to see him go down there and be a success (just watch him get back into scotland team!) so best of luck, and thanks for the memories!

With transfers such as this done and dusted with the savings in wages and slight income of transfer fee, perhaps our squad for next season will start taking shape!

I do hope people don't forget all the good he did for the club once he's gone in preference of remembering his mistakes.

Leaving for Blackburn.

"Getting" PLG sacked

The Scotland fiasco.

Is all some people remember.

Personally, I don't blame him for the first two.

I do hope people don't forget all the good he did for the club once he's gone in preference of remembering his mistakes.

Leaving for Blackburn.

"Getting" PLG sacked

The Scotland fiasco.

Is all some people remember.

Personally, I don't blame him for the first two.

I dont have any grudges about the Blackburn thing, none at all.

I believe BF worked behind the scenes to undermine PLG. Maybe it was the right thing to do though, so 50/50 on that, mixed feelings.

The Scotland thing was a complete joke. Embarrassing.

If you put these 3 events on a graph........