The Media, Gersnet and the Peloponnesian wars

Can't believe any Scot could admire Maggie after how she treated our country.

It could even be argued she has had a big part to play in causing the current recession as she is the one who originally deregulated the banks and encouraged the greed culture in the industry.

Can't believe any Scot could admire Maggie after how she treated our country.

It could even be argued she has had a big part to play in causing the current recession as she is the one who originally deregulated the banks and encouraged the greed culture in the industry.

Leaving aside any economic arguments for a second, I think it's natural for many to admire Lady T simply for having principles and standing by them. It's certainly a long way from the corrupt, gimmick-guided administration we've had to suffer for the past 12 years. And I've got time for anyone who gets under the skin of the IRA and the BBC.

I'm not sure how she treated our country that badly. The poll tax? I was better off with that. It was hardly the worst crime in the world.

I would say that Gordon Brown's changes to the banking regulations in 1997 have had more of an impact than what Maggie did.

As someone who considers Communism a bit right wing, I will admit to admiring Mrs Thatcher for his revolutionary zeal, commitment and refusal to be diverted from what she believed in.

It's unfortunate what she believed in was the most insane monetarist rubbish, but you can't have everything.

I'm not sure how she treated our country that badly. The poll tax? I was better off with that. It was hardly the worst crime in the world.

I'm sorry but that sounds like a pretty normal selfish Tory point of view. "I'm all right Jack" was pretty much the slogan of Maggie's followers.

She did a hell of a lot more damage to Scotland than that, mostly to benefit England at our expense, while breaking promises and blatantly lying. Look at Faslane and Ravenscraig as the tip of the iceberg.

She also buried a report about how the oil would bring Scotland super-normal wealth if we became independent. She classed it as top secret to prevent any uprising in the support of independence. It was just made public a couple of years ago.

She also created the myth that Scotland was the most subsidised part of the country when it's obvious that crown belongs to London. Funny how the Tories fight tooth and nail to keep such drain on resources.

When Maggie first came along, she actually did a lot of good in her first term but the power she got from the greed of the more afluent middle class and new yuppies and aspiring yuppies went to her head, and she and the Tories became a monster whch changed our society and was the mother of New Labour.

What about Faslane and Ravenscraig? Are you suggesting that they get subsidised?

A report was buried? So what? Reports get buried all of the time.

You seem to be suggesting that Scotland should solely benefit from North Sea Oil. Talk about a selfish attitude.

Scotland is subsidised by the rest of the UK....and thankfully they were there to bail out our banks recently.

Lots of different parts of the country had problems with some of her policies but the country as a whole emerged stronger at the end of her time, and it's small-minded and selfish to take a parochial view and say that she should have ensured that bits of unsuccessful Scottish industry should be protected at a cost to the rest.

:fish:

What about Faslane and Ravenscraig? Are you suggesting that they get subsidised?

A report was buried? So what? Reports get buried all of the time.

You seem to be suggesting that Scotland should solely benefit from North Sea Oil. Talk about a selfish attitude.

Scotland is subsidised by the rest of the UK....and thankfully they were there to bail out our banks recently.

Lots of different parts of the country had problems with some of her policies but the country as a whole emerged stronger at the end of her time, and it's small-minded and selfish to take a parochial view and say that she should have ensured that bits of unsuccessful Scottish industry should be protected at a cost to the rest.

I hope I'm not your first catch but I'd like to agree with you on every point. The Little Scotchlander demonisation of Thatcher is as self-defeating as it's ill-informed.

Oh, and I'll take the poll tax back tomorrow. I work to pay for my family, not about a dozen other families as well. Selfish? Who exactly is being selfish here, the spongers and state-addicted benefit monkeys?

Edited by maineflyer

Oh, and I'll take the poll tax back tomorrow. I work to pay for my family, not about a dozen other families as well. Selfish? Who exactly is being selfish here, the spongers and state-addicted benefit monkeys?

Those spongers etc that you talk about are EXACTLY one of the MAJOR reasons I have no desire to move back to the UK (although it is, in time, inevitable).

I have family who are benefit whores not deserving of it. Some of them get benefits they simply are not entitled to whilst my younger brother, who is mentally handicapped (some would say I am too ;) ) gets next to nothing or has to jump through hoops for anything.

At least in Bermuda the tax you do pay is a consumption tax and is not a tax to pay for the services of others who, in many cases, simply dont want to work.

So many pay 40% tax so those sponging bassas can sit on their fat arses all day. Not likely.

40% after earning a rather nice sum, I would point out.

I'd like to see an equal ban on taxation going to the armed forces; not going to happen. If you want the current system you have to take the warts as well as the breaks.

I wonder at all these countries who don't follow the fine example set by the likes of Bermuda or the States. Hard to believe so many voters and politicians can be so blind, innit?