What Position Papac on Saturday

Must admit I didn't fancy Papac at all at centre-half but he has done pretty well there lately and looks comfortable enough.

As such, yes; I think it's time to dispense with Weir which may allow us to play the game further forward.

I read Webster was taken off injured last night, have you seen anything this morning?

Yeah, this was mentioned last night on the radio but nothing on DUFC so hopefully it was just a precautionary measure.

Not sure if he's available to play against us or not.

I am the same as Frankie, when I saw Papac would have to play CB against the Tims I was concerned as I felt he didnt have what it takes to play the position for us (despite being a natural CB). I felt that he was more an LB than CB these days.

That said, even though he gave away the penalty against the Tims I thought he was unlucky with it in that the ball slightly changed direction and his natural instinct was to get to the ball, it was just unfortunate Zheng Zhi got to it first. Since that point I feel he has actually been our most consistent performer whilst playing CB.

I also think that if Papac plays CB, in place of Weir, alongside Bougherra that we actually have a) better balance and b) a CB whose distribution is actually very good. I noticed on a number of occasions against Hibs on Saturday that Papac got the ball at the back and made some telling slide-rule passes into midfielders to get an attack going. He also had the confidence and assuredness to get forward in support of the attack and had one thunderbolt finely saved by Stack.

I would like to see us with a back 4 of Whittaker, Bougherra, Papac, Smith. Whittaker and Smith can get forward to assist the midfield and attack whilst we have 2 CB's with pace and also very solid in the tackle. I think that back 4 looks stronger an dmore balanced than one with Weir in it.

I also think that Papac's positional sense is better at CB than LB.

The one good thing is that we were saying we needed two CB's to be brought in as we would lose Weir to retirement and Bougherra would be sold. With the emergence of Papac as a bona fide CB we only need the one (we would have Broadfoot and Wilson as back-up - not the best but not THAT bad in the current financial climate).

We need to remember Weir is our captain and i doubt Smith will drop our captain for the bigger games. Weir still easily walks through the SPL games but i think he has been caught out a few times in europe with his lack of pace.

Maybe next year we might see a partnership of Papac and either Wilson or Broadfoot, no doubt Boughy will get sold and Davie will move on