Silly post.

James Milner is a versatile (and crucially good) player who can play anywhere in midfield, and is comfortable on either sides of the wing. Not to mention this was a friendly, where the result is irrelevant and the idea is to move things around and be flexible.

Smith plays players compeltely out of position even if it doesn't work (which it rarely does).

So Smith constantly plays players out of position and it rarely works? Here was me thinking we'd won 4 trophies in two seasons and been a European final. If that's "rarely working" then our manager must be keeping back a better team than Barcelona.

Lets not forget at any one time Smith can have us playing centre backs at fullback, fullbacks at centre back, central midfielders out wide, strikers on the wing...

Centre backs at fullback would seem to refer to Papac and Broadfoot - most would reckon they have been pretty successful. Full backs at centerback? I can't recall any instances. Central midfielders out wide? That would be Davis who, like Milner has shown he's comfortable there. As for forwards on the wing, I'd like you to find a manager who has never done that...

There's nothing wrong with trying a player in another position or doing it as a stopgap. The problem is Smith does it all the time, all over the park, causing great confusion. He also STICKS with players playing out of position, even if it doesn't work. Has Lafferty ever looked good on the left? Has Stevie Smith? If Stevie Smith had any chance of becoming a good player again, being stuck out to dry out of position is ruining his hopes. It's like SAF (to continue that analogy, don't get the Fergie out of position point though) playing Gary Neville on the wing, even with adverse performances. It just wouldn't happen.

FFS, even Christian Daily has played up front for us.

Stevie Smith has played left wing before Walter was manager and by all accounts was also "comfortable" there. As for Dailly, he played up front as an emergency measure in the last few minutes of a game, but crucially, he gained a world record of U21 international caps playing up front, so hardly the worst choice in the world. Did we get the result or not?

So you would have us believe only one player in the world can be moved around, that there is a problem playing players in a position they seem good at just because they have played somewhere else before, that we have been totally unsuccessful in the last two years, and that a player who changes his position can never play in his previous favourite position even to finish out a game in an injury emergency.

I think you were right in warning us at the beginning of your post that it was going to be a silly one... :devil:

Silly post.

James Milner is a versatile (and crucially good) player who can play anywhere in midfield, and is comfortable on either sides of the wing. Not to mention this was a friendly, where the result is irrelevant and the idea is to move things around and be flexible.

Smith plays players compeltely out of position even if it doesn't work (which it rarely does).

Lets not forget at any one time Smith can have us playing centre backs at fullback, fullbacks at centre back, central midfielders out wide, strikers on the wing...

There's nothing wrong with trying a player in another position or doing it as a stopgap. The problem is Smith does it all the time, all over the park, causing great confusion. He also STICKS with players playing out of position, even if it doesn't work. Has Lafferty ever looked good on the left? Has Stevie Smith? If Stevie Smith had any chance of becoming a good player again, being stuck out to dry out of position is ruining his hopes. It's like SAF (to continue that analogy, don't get the Fergie out of position point though) playing Gary Neville on the wing, even with adverse performances. It just wouldn't happen.

FFS, even Christian Daily has played up front for us.

Speaking of silly posts, claiming Smith hasn't looked good on the left when he changed the game against Hearts. :giruy:

I'll educate on Fergie too. He has regularly played Giggs, Rooney and Ronaldo out of position. Yes they are class players. But the point I was trying to highlight is some people just moan about players being out of position for the sake of it, whether or not it actually works.

So Smith constantly plays players out of position and it rarely works? Here was me thinking we'd won 4 trophies in two seasons and been a European final. If that's "rarely working" then our manager must be keeping back a better team than Barcelona.

Centre backs at fullback would seem to refer to Papac and Broadfoot - most would reckon they have been pretty successful. Full backs at centerback? I can't recall any instances. Central midfielders out wide? That would be Davis who, like Milner has shown he's comfortable there. As for forwards on the wing, I'd like you to find a manager who has never done that...

Stevie Smith has played left wing before Walter was manager and by all accounts was also "comfortable" there. As for Dailly, he played up front as an emergency measure in the last few minutes of a game, but crucially, he gained a world record of U21 international caps playing up front, so hardly the worst choice in the world. Did we get the result or not?

So you would have us believe only one player in the world can be moved around, that there is a problem playing players in a position they seem good at just because they have played somewhere else before, that we have been totally unsuccessful in the last two years, and that a player who changes his position can never play in his previous favourite position even to finish out a game in an injury emergency.

I think you were right in warning us at the beginning of your post that it was going to be a silly one... :devil:

As I already said, I have no problem with players being tried in different positions now and then. It's the fact that Smith constantly puts players out of position even if it doesn't work eg Lafferty. Game after game hes terrible there.

Won 4 trophies? With a lot of luck and against shambolic opposition. With the level of opposition we currently come up against in the SPL we should be mopping up everything with ease.

Getting to the final of the UEFA Cup was great and all but his subsequent European campaigns (and all the previous ones bar 92/93) are a better testement of his managerial ability.

Edited by Totti