Soccer boss in sectarian sing-song

Anyone with half a brain in modern society can see religions such as catholism for what they are.

The *** nonsense is not good for the club though. I really cringe. If we're involved in any more controversy UEFA are going to hammer us soon or later and fans chanting songs they're told not to sing does us no good.

At the same time though, it annoys me that its us that are targeted. Aberdeen fans are IMO the worst in Scottish football and seem to get no abuse for it.

We have never been told not to sing the Sash or Derry's Walls.

I don't think it's a non-story at all. I think it's the latest in an incessant line of anti-Rangers propaganda coming out of News International newspapers in this country. It's a one-sided campaign to smear Rangers and anyone connected to it. Do you really think they couldn't come up with balancing items about the other side, of course they could but they don't and won't. This isn't about Dick Campbell or the songs he sung. It's about establishing us as a pariah community. I'd like to think some of us still cared about that.

I get it, Murray is really Ernst Stavro Blofeld and Rangers is a cover for S.P.E.C.T.R.E. not Phil the other one. :confused:

I don't think it's a non-story at all. I think it's the latest in an incessant line of anti-Rangers propaganda coming out of News International newspapers in this country. It's a one-sided campaign to smear Rangers and anyone connected to it. Do you really think they couldn't come up with balancing items about the other side, of course they could but they don't and won't. This isn't about Dick Campbell or the songs he sung. It's about establishing us as a pariah community. I'd like to think some of us still cared about that.

Quite frankly the story is embarrassing and has no place in the sectarian debate.

Enter any pub in Scotland and you'll find similar or worse behaviour from a wide section of society. Anyone with half a brain (and I include NOTW readers in that) will agree.

It will be interesting to see if this newspaper looks to find some balance in that regard but I doubt it. I also doubt anything will change in this regard as the club don't do enough and neither do the people mentioned in such articles.

He's denied supporting either of the old firm.

I knew before clicking this article it would be the case. Every Tom, Dick and Harry (Declan?) is proud to confess their love for ra hoops but anyone associated with us launches a staunch denial. We really need a new PR team...We're seen as the most retched, filthy club on the planet...

Derry's Walls is about not surrending when you are attacked and outnumbered and winning against an agressor in the end. I don't know how people can be offended by that sentiment especially when it's also the same sentiment as Flower of Scotland - although some people do weirdly think that's anti-English.

The Sash has nothing to do with Rangers or Football and is obviously an Orange Order song and an innocuous one at that.

I've no time for the OO but there seems to be an open season on them which you have to say is the same basic religious intolerance that people are trying to bang on about.

To be honest I think we should be reporting these newspapers to the authorities for incitement to religious hatred against the OO.

If the famine song is racist then is defaming the singers of Derry's walls not racist or sectarian too?

I would like "loyalist" and OO songs removed from the Rangers repertoire as irrelevant to the club and so ultimately divisive - and it also brings a lot of mroe extreme and negative behaviour from some: but surely there should be some even handed interpretation of these songs. It seems no different than condemning people for singing Jewish songs or songs about Wales etc.

It's seems to be some kind of low level, state sponsored ethnic cleansing, where only a few chosen races, nationalities and religions are allowed to express themselves.

We all know this is an orchestrated campaign and that it is at the very least tolerated by the two main political parties. Since Murray was never able to get over his embarrassment at the cultural landscape he found at Rangers, the club has bent its knee to every bigoted critic that came along. All we can do is keep our own heads up and don't succumb to the same defeatism. I'm only sorry to see some on here apparently too willing to share Murray's embarrassment.

Is there really anything wrong with being embarrassed by people who see Rangers as some sort of extension of the Orange Order when they usually are not members and don't know much about it?

The Sash is a total embarrassment of a football song and singing about how a sash is beautiful is even a bit on the camp side for my taste.

But it's not against the law to sing an embarrassing song and the majority of the Rangers support should not be tarred as criminals for it.

Is there really anything wrong with being embarrassed by people who see Rangers as some sort of extension of the Orange Order when they usually are not members and don't know much about it?

The Sash is a total embarrassment of a football song and singing about how a sash is beautiful is even a bit on the camp side for my taste.

But it's not against the law to sing an embarrassing song and the majority of the Rangers support should not be tarred as criminals for it.

Oh dear, oh dear, let's re-write history. There are obviously two worlds that Rangers supporters inhabit. I'm gald I'm not in the same one as you and your embarassment.

Song choice is a very subjective issue - even outwith football - so I don't have a problem with anyone not enjoying The Sash or Derry's Walls.

However, these people have no right to suggest those that do enjoy them (myself included) should stop singing them because a very small minority may sing them with a different meaning to the majority.

In the absence of TBB, Derry's Walls is one last song that has our fans singing in their tens of thousands - home and away - and it is not offensive, is not sectarian and is certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. Personally, I'm not overly interested in Ulster (either its present or past situation) so I see the song as merely one that I can sing which tells us about our strength and pride as we go into the battle of a football match (and sometimes beyond nowadays).

No surrender indeed!