Football is simple Walter

2 games in a row playing 4-4-2 with players in natural positions and we beat St Johnstone 3-0 going on 6-0 then go to Tannadice and batter a supposed title contender!

A proper midfield 4 of 2 central midfielders (although I still dont think McCulloch is at his best there, but Davis is), with 2 wide men and look at the difference!

Can't disagree with that mate.

However, there are other factors which should be considered. Our work rate has improved, we're stronger on/off the ball and even our set-pieces look to have been worked on.

Great stuff!

However, there are other factors which should be considered. Our work rate has improved, we're stronger on/off the ball and even our set-pieces look to have been worked on.

Do you not this these things come naturally though when players know what they are doing in correct positions? Players will get confident and all aspects of their game will improve.

Exactly right mate. To be fair one could still say Beasley and Novo are on the 'wrong' wings and that McCulloch is out of his natural position but they all seem comfortable enough there.

That, I guess, is very true but perhaps the idea is to have them cutting inside rather than hitting the touch line. It certainly worked last night with Beasley scoring and Novo creating for Miller. What I'd like to see though is a little bit of in game change i.e. Beasley and Novo switching wings for 20 minutes etc.

That, I guess, is very true but perhaps the idea is to have them cutting inside rather than hitting the touch line. It certainly worked last night with Beasley scoring and Novo creating for Miller. What I'd like to see though is a little bit of in game change i.e. Beasley and Novo switching wings for 20 minutes etc.

Yeah, agree with that and I was being rather pedantic in making the point.

Must admit I was surprised to see Beasley and Novo both start again last night given Tannadice is a tighter pitch than Ibrox or Falkirk. However both played very well and are major factors in our improved form and attacking threat. Playing them means other teams have to worry about our players for a change which, in turn, allows us to play further forward.

We need to find this level of performance much more consistently though as if we do, we're more than capable of retaining the title.

When you play two wide players like Novo and Beasley it not only gives you attacking options but the way the two of them back track gives protection to our full backs and gives the opposing full backs less space to go forward,which was shown last night.Of course it is all about work rate and willingness to chase back and drive forward

That, I guess, is very true but perhaps the idea is to have them cutting inside rather than hitting the touch line.

I have always thought wingers should be able to play either side. If they are on their natural side then its a case of hitting the touch line, but if on the other it is a case of cutting inside. Laudrup was a genius that he could do both hitting touch line and cutting in on BOTH wings.

I wasnt surprised to see Beasley start. Tanandice is the sort of ground where we have done well with wingers going back to Huistra. Plus the guy has a world cup to think about which should play to our advantage.

When you play two wide players like Novo and Beasley it not only gives you attacking options but the way the two of them back track gives protection to our full backs and gives the opposing full backs less space to go forward,which was shown last night.Of course it is all about work rate and willingness to chase back and drive forward

Agree about the full backs, they couldn't afford to attack with Beasley and Novo running at them. I also thought pressing the ball further up the park made a big difference last night. Usually the opposing midfield get to much space and time against us.

Very satisfying last night. Lets see if we can stay at the top for a bit longer this time.

4-4-2 with two attacking players on the wings is fairly redundant in modern day football as it leaves you far too exposed against any half decent midfield but in the SPL we rarely come up against half decent midfields so I suppose it doesn't matter.

I'd like to see us playing a formation and starting 11 that remains the same regardless of the opposition. Possibly a 4-5-1/4-3-3 with the only change being the attacking mentality depending on the opponents.