Gers confirm McGregor "incident"

Allan McGregor will have to wait longer if he is to make a return to the Scotland set-up after Craig Levein decided against handing him a recall.

The Rangers goalkeeper was set to be in the new Scotland manager’s first squad for the friendly against the Czech Republic at Hampden Park next month.

But Levein made a dramatic U-turn last night after discovering the Ibrox shot-stopper was the victim of a city centre attack over the weekend. Instead, he will name Rangers back-up keeper Neil Alexander.

SportTimes understands Levein held lengthy discussions with Rangers boss Walter Smith last night before coming to his decision.

It’s believed both managers thought it would be in the best interests of the Scotland squad and McGregor if his return was postponed.

However, the Scotland manager will turn to McGregor in the future providing he is fit and performing well for his club.

Although he’ll understand the reasons for the decision, it will still come as a hammer blow to McGregor as he was desperate to return to the international fold.

The controversial goalkeeper was informed he’d never represent his country again in the wake of the Boozegate affair when he was guilty of taking part in an all-night drinking session at Cameron House hotel.

But Levein’s insistence on wiping the slate clean and having all his best players available for selection handed McGregor a reprieve.

That, however, is now on hold and it remains to be seen whether or not the goalkeeper will be fit for this weekend’s Old Firm showdown with Celtic at Ibrox.

McGregor suffered an eye injury in the attack, as well as a cut back, but it’s thought he could still be in line to start on Sunday. If not, Rangers will be forced to turn to Alexander, who has made just five appearances this season.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/no-scots-return-for-bruised-allan-mcgregor-1.1008443

A few years ago the idea of Allan McGregor being in the news for the wrong reasons more often than Artur Boruc would have been laughable, but that's exactly what's happened.

From his 'shagger' exploits in the summer of 2008, to his stupidity in featuring in a centre spread with his mrs, to boozegate, to the rape accusation (which I don't believe he's guilty of but I'm not sure), to this.

Whether or not he is guilty of this latest misdemeanour isn't the point - more and more now he's becoming bad baggage, and for all his talent on the pitch, his reputation suddenly precedes him.

He's now a target, and seemingly a legitimate one.

Allan McGregor will have to wait longer if he is to make a return to the Scotland set-up after Craig Levein decided against handing him a recall.

The Rangers goalkeeper was set to be in the new Scotland manager�s first squad for the friendly against the Czech Republic at Hampden Park next month.

But Levein made a dramatic U-turn last night after discovering the Ibrox shot-stopper was the victim of a city centre attack over the weekend. Instead, he will name Rangers back-up keeper Neil Alexander.

SportTimes understands Levein held lengthy discussions with Rangers boss Walter Smith last night before coming to his decision.

It�s believed both managers thought it would be in the best interests of the Scotland squad and McGregor if his return was postponed.

However, the Scotland manager will turn to McGregor in the future providing he is fit and performing well for his club.

Although he�ll understand the reasons for the decision, it will still come as a hammer blow to McGregor as he was desperate to return to the international fold.

The controversial goalkeeper was informed he�d never represent his country again in the wake of the Boozegate affair when he was guilty of taking part in an all-night drinking session at Cameron House hotel.

But Levein�s insistence on wiping the slate clean and having all his best players available for selection handed McGregor a reprieve.

That, however, is now on hold and it remains to be seen whether or not the goalkeeper will be fit for this weekend�s Old Firm showdown with Celtic at Ibrox.

McGregor suffered an eye injury in the attack, as well as a cut back, but it�s thought he could still be in line to start on Sunday. If not, Rangers will be forced to turn to Alexander, who has made just five appearances this season.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/no-scots-return-for-bruised-allan-mcgregor-1.1008443

If Walter Smith has endorsed this decision, it's very bad news for McGregor indeed.

I don't see why? Protecting McGregor from himself and others is one of the recurrent motifs of Smith's second tenure.

Hardly forced to turn to Alexander, either, who is more than competent.

From his 'shagger' exploits in the summer of 2008, to his stupidity in featuring in a centre spread with his mrs, to boozegate, to the rape accusation (which I don't believe he's guilty of but I'm not sure), to this.

Whether or not he is guilty of this latest misdemeanour isn't the point - more and more now he's becoming bad baggage, and for all his talent on the pitch, his reputation suddenly precedes him.

It absolutely IS the point, Danny. You mention his private life - not admirable in my opinion but really, none of anyone's business but his and his family's. You mention a newspaper spread - I wouldn't, but hardly a capital crime. You mention an accusation we know nothing about - there's nothing pro or con that can be said on a subject we are ignorant of. Then you mention his guilt or innocence at the weekend: guilt of what?

That's nothing so much as accepting the drip, drip of innuendo and deciding that it amounts to something tangible. Your opinion, so fair enough. But I don't agree with the analysis. I posted yesterday that he should probably leave Glasgow - but not because he is 'baggage' or whatever, but because his quality of life will be improved. In other words, he should leave for his sake, not Rangers's. (sp?)

I don't see why? Protecting McGregor from himself and others is one of the recurrent motifs of Smith's second tenure.

Protecting? How is withdrawing him from Scotland protecting him when he's apparently not being protected for Sunday's match?

It absolutely IS the point, Danny. You mention his private life - not admirable in my opinion but really, none of anyone's business but his and his family's.

So when Tiger Woods and John Terry and Ashley Cole's misdemeanours became public, you morally advocated a personal media blackout and avoided every piece of news pertaining to them?

I don't believe that. Like it or not, his private life has become public, much do to his position, and also much due to his own willful participation of newspaper spreads.

You mention a newspaper spread - I wouldn't, but hardly a capital crime. You mention an accusation we know nothing about - there's nothing pro or con that can be said on a subject we are ignorant of. Then you mention his guilt or innocence at the weekend: guilt of what?

That's why I said innocent, Andy? All we know is it was something - he is either innocent or guilty of something. There's little more than can be said. Am I wrong?

That's nothing so much as accepting the drip, drip of innuendo and deciding that it amounts to something tangible. Your opinion, so fair enough. But I don't agree with the analysis. I posted yesterday that he should probably leave Glasgow - but not because he is 'baggage' or whatever, but because his quality of life will be improved. In other words, he should leave for his sake, not Rangers's. (sp?)

I knew exactly what you meant, it's why I posted my reply. And I also disagree with you - my support is primarily for Rangers, and as much as I rate him highly, I support his interests less than I support the teams'. So whatever happens should happen for the sake of the club, not him - because they pay his wages and any time he is in the paper through bad press it reflects on the club and gives ammunition to our opposition.

I like McGregor, I like him a lot - I think he's our best goalie for some years and has saved us so many times - I do not want him to leave for his sake unless his performances go south. And he's been through worse experiences than this recent escapade only to come back with better displays. So him leaving serves no purpose. To anyone.

So when Tiger Woods and John Terry and Ashley Cole's misdemeanours became public, you morally advocated a personal media blackout and avoided every piece of news pertaining to them?

Yes, and so would any sensible person. I like news to be about newsworthy things. The idea that people care one way or another is a travesty, but I think people care far less than the media.

Edited by bmck

McGregor's injuries may take time to heal properly and while Rangers may risk him for an old firm game, it may not be in McGregor's (or Rangers) best interests to be joining the Scotland squad and only take part in limited training.

The fact that he's not in the Scotland squad for this friendly coming up is a good thing for us because he can focus fully on Rangers. The first international qualifier isn't until next season anyway.

I don't think our players should be going to places that are well known to be footballer haunts and Karbon is one such place. Maybe if they had the sense to have a minder or two with them, but every trouble maker in the city knows they can go down to places like that and stick the nut in a footballer & apparently there are even Celtic sites that are tweeting rumours of players who are going to be out on the town at specific places and parties. I read elsewhere that this happened on Saturday evening with tweets going out amongst the bheasts on the net that McGregor was going to be going to the Sheridan party at Karbon. At the end of the day, it's not particularly safe for our star players to be going to places like that where there have been numerous 'incidents' involving footballers being attacked in recent years. If they insist on going to these places, they should hire minders/bodyguards for their own safety because these are places that simply attract trouble makers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the players shouldn't be able to go to clubs or parties, just that it's probably best if they watch where it is that they're going and make security arrangements if it's somewhere in Glasgow like Karbon which is a well known haunt for footballers and 'incidents'.

Yes, and so would any sensible person.

Bit of an unnecessary slur there? So if any massive golf fan took interest in Woods situation, he's not sensible?

Bit of s smear that.

I like news to be about newsworthy things. The idea that people care one way or another is a travesty, but I think people care far less than the media.

I think you're quite wrong. The fact this thread exists proves you wrong. An incident involving our own goalkeeper and we're all discussing it, his future, what happened etc etc.

Oh, and in your view, sorry to say it, but anyone in this thread making comment on this story isn't sensible.