SFA and ****s in Referee Discussion

To be fair, I bet any club's fans could do the same and list a number of incidents across a season which have cost them points. The Celtic stuff is hilarious though, why are they concentrating on the games against us for starters and as for the Keane being too fast thing, that's just incredible.

Mik.

Former referee Kenny Clark believes the decision to leak Celtic's concern about refereeing standards just a few days ahead of an Old Firm game is reckless.

Celtic confirmed that they have met with the Scottish Football Association after a club source had revealed their frustration to BBC Scotland.

"The fans will be in enough of a frenzy without adding fuel to the fire with this sort of thing," said Clark.

"Whoever has released this has acted in a very irresponsible way."

SFA president George Peat has already criticised the Celtic source, describing the behaviour as "mischievous" and saying it would "exert additional pressure on match officials".

However, Clark, who handled several meetings between bitter rivals Rangers and Celtic, was stronger in his condemnation.

I just don't think there is any justification for saying Celtic have been treated differently

Kenny Clark

"I don't imagine the police will be very happy about it and it certainly doesn't make things any easier for anyone," added the ex-grade one whistler.

"The only way we can be satisfied that it is not a cynical ploy on Celtic's part is if the club issue a statement disassociating themselves from the leak and making conciliatory remarks about referees."

The Celtic source said that the club had analysed footage - including the last two Old Firm games - and were unhappy at the number of erroneous decisions going against them.

The source also challenged the number of offside verdicts given against recent loan signing Robbie Keane, suggesting officials were too slow to keep up with the striker.

"I just don't think there is any justification for saying Celtic have been treated differently," continued Clark.

"Every club in Scotland would be able to come up with occasions when they say referees have done them down and decisions have not gone their way."

Sunday's Old Firm derby at Ibrox will be overseen by referee Dougie McDonald and Clark is confident that he will not be influenced by the headlines generated by Celtic's discontent.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Give your reaction to Celtic's concerns

"I think this is ill-conceived if that is the intention (to influence match officials)," he said. "Dougie McDonald is a very experienced referee. He has done a number of Old Firm games and this won't alter the way he approaches the match in any way.

"But it will alter the mindset of some fans in the build up to the game.

"There has been an attempt to put additional pressure on the assistants with the references to Robbie Keane not getting the breaks in relation to offside decisions.

"Inevitably, the first time a flag goes up against Robbie Keane, every Celtic fan in the stadium will be up on their feet and, equally, if Robbie Keane is allowed to play on in what some people might suspect was an offside posiition, then the Rangers fans will be thinking that is down to what was said during the week.

"Dougie doesn't need any advice from me but it would be to referee the way he always has. That's how he got to this level in the first place. He doesn't need to do anything different."

Scottish Premier League leaders Rangers are seven points better off than Celtic and have a game in hand going into Sunday's match.

To be fair, I bet any club's fans could do the same and list a number of incidents across a season which have cost them points. The Celtic stuff is hilarious though, why are they concentrating on the games against us for starters and as for the Keane being too fast thing, that's just incredible.

Mik.

Very true. But this is setting themselves up nicely in the public domain. lose and its the officials fault, win and its inspite of the officials.

The referreeing standard in this country is shocking, however no 1 team is persecuted more. it just seems that way. Bad workmen always blame the tools and not themselves ;)

Watching the CL officiating last 2 weeks, it has been of a very high standard. What are the thoughts of foreign refs? (although they are prone to howlers... e.g. chelsea vs barca last year...)

Tony Mowbray will tell his players they cannot afford to get distracted by the club’s refs row when they face Rangers at Ibrox this weekend.

The Parkhead boss has contained his frustration at the catalogue of bad decisions they have been on the end of this season – the most damaging

coming in the two Old Firm games played to date.

Mowbray is wary that the focus of players might be lost if they go into a game they must win with concerns they will not get a fair crack of the whip from referee Dougie McDonald and his assistants.

The last time they played at Ibrox, in October, Craig Thomson denied them a clear penalty when David Weir tripped Shaun Maloney, a mistake the referee later acknowledged.

In the January 3 game at Parkhead, Celtic believed they scored a legitimate goal when Marco Fortune outjumped Allan McGregor, only for Steve Conroy to rule it out for a push on the keeper.

Other incidents in these matches and in other games have perturbed officials at Celtic sufficiently to prompt an approach to the SFA for discussions on the level of refereeing, though a direct approach to refs’ supremo Hugh Dallas is understood not to have been a route pursued by the Parkhead club.

Frustration boiled over on the pitch during last weekend’s match against Dundee United when Robbie Keane was booked for complaining about the failure of ref Thomson to spot a foul on him by Andy Webster.

The loan signing had already been controversially flagged for offside when he put the ball in the United net, a decision which was shown on TV to be wrong.

Celtic allege the striker’s pace is catching out assistant referees, and this has been added to the complaints they have made to the SFA, who control the match officials in all games, including SPL matches.

Mowbray shares the anxiety regarding the standard of refereeing. But, he will tell his players they must put this to the back of their minds when they run out against Rangers and not let it affect their performance.

The ref for Sunday’s match, McDonald, flies back into the eye of this storm today after spending the last few days with his colleagues and Dallas at a training camp in Malaga.

Dallas has already admitted he has been disappointed by mistakes made by match officials this season, though he did not speak specifically about Old Firm games.

His comments upset some refs, but Dallas denied this sunshine summit was any kind of clear-the-air meeting.

He said: “There was no need for a clear-the-air meeting because I gave the referees a copy of the remarks I made to the SFA’s website and there were no problems after that.

“I was analytical but not critical.

“I don’t deny there have been disappointing decisions in big matches. But mistakes are part of the game and there will never be a season without one.”

The events of the last 24 hours will ensure there is more scrutiny than ever on McDonald this weekend, though his four previous Old Firm games have generally passed without any cotroversy.

However, the general standard of refereeing this season is what has upset Celtic and prompted them to approach the SFA at the highest level.

SFA president George Peat confirmed discussions had taken place between the governing body and the club but refused to divulge their contents.

After details of the meeting were leaked from within Parkhead, Peat said: “We find it disappointing and somewhat bizarre that, in the build-up to an Old Firm derby, an unnamed Celtic ‘source’ would seek to exert additional pressure on match officials by issuing ill-timed and fundamentally inaccurate comments.”

In response, Lawwell issued a statement confirming they have entered into talks with the SFA, adding that the club look forward to continuing the discussions towards a postive outcome.

The chances of this happening before Sunday are somewhere south of zero. And former ref Kenny Clark has questioned the timing of Celtic’s action.

He said: “The cynic in me makes me feel it’s a deliberate ploy to increase the pressure on match officials and develop a siege mentality among the Celtic fans and team.

“They should get their own house in order in terms of the way their team has been playing.

“It’s irresponsible to stir up a hornet’s nest ahead of an Old Firm game which will be ridiculously over-hyped in the first place.”

Very true. But this is setting themselves up nicely in the public domain. lose and its the officials fault, win and its inspite of the officials.

The referreeing standard in this country is shocking, however no 1 team is persecuted more. it just seems that way. Bad workmen always blame the tools and not themselves ;)

Watching the CL officiating last 2 weeks, it has been of a very high standard. What are the thoughts of foreign refs? (although they are prone to howlers... e.g. chelsea vs barca last year...)

Yeah, there was a few howlers last week with Bayern and Fiorentina and guess what it was the same ref. I would say Porto's goal was a bit debatable with the ref blocking Campbell, in Arsenals game.

Scots refs are horrid and since they got a rise, they have been worse. Each SPL game you could find at least one wrong decision made.

People get over it the tims seem unable to grasp getting over it, so the usual...

Referee Dougie McDonald insists the latest row over the standard of match officials will have no influence on his management of Sunday's Old Firm derby.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8536759.stm

no influence on the management, but will influence the fans attitude and media reaction/emphasis on the whole issue. which means he'll be in trouble with his bosses if it doesn't influence his management!! :box:

This might actually make the officials even more determined to get decisions correct & not make stupid controversial mistakes or needlessly tip the balance and fairness of the game with red cards that aren't needed. We'll just have to wait and see now.