[ * * * * * ]

Group:

Members

#22,935

4 February 2009

Favourite all-time player

Frank McGarvey - Honest!

Lads,

I actually contacted teh PR department at the club about this, for me this article is beyond the pale. The PR woman said that they were well aware of the article, indeed, she even said "you're calling about the opinion piece in the Daily Record?"

She asked me to wite to Celtic and complain and she said taht if I knew anyone else who felt teh same to do like wise, so I did - I have pasted my letter below. the email address is publicrelations@celticfc.co.uk

Here is my letter.

Sir/Madam

While not a paying consumer of low rent publications such as the Daily Record, my attention was brought to an article published in the said journal, under the guise of a Mark Hately opinion piece “as told to Keith Jackson”.

As a club, we are no stranger to baseless tirades and agenda ridden invective, however this article is , without question, the most vitriolic I have ever witnessed in mainstream media. Which, considering what has been written about the club in the past, is saying something. Aside from the factual inaccuracies such as “They've blamed the refs, they've blamed the SFA, they've blamed the state of the pitches.” and “They have thrown accusations around on a seemingly weekly basis”. There contains, despite the “get out” of it being an “opinion” piece, potentially libelous content such as “They have attempted to blacken the reputation of the entire Scottish game” and “Celtic's nefarious smear campaign”.

In addition, the overall tone of the article, coupled with provocative and emotive language such as “There is indeed something rotten in the state of the SPL - and it's festering away in Glasgow's East End.” and “succeeded only in making a mockery of themselves” demonstrates the agenda of this publication and possibly the agenda of individuals or organisations who have a vested interest in the performance of Celtic FC and the way it and its supporters are portrayed in Scottish Society as whole.

This article is the latest in a litany of attacks made on the club, and highlights the stance of not just the journal in question, but also of various other media outlets in Scotland. Furthermore, articles such as the one referenced, added to the purposeful lack of balance on topics being reported or covered, not only justify the long held grievances of the Celtic Family, they also irresponsibly fuel increased tensions in communities and workplaces across Scotland.

There is a large swathe of opinion among the Celtic Family, that the past few months have seen our club attacked and victimised like never before. At this time the Celtic support look to those in power at Celtic Park to show leadership, defend the club and take action against those parties who attack Celtic with apparent impunity. There is also a deep sense of anger among the Celtic Family, that the individuals associated with these media outlets are afforded considerable courtesy at no expense to themselves, from Celtic FC, while at the same time the support, make a considerable financial commitment to the club.

I am sure the many instances of double standards, attacks and smears adopted by the media are well known within Celtic Park, as I am also sure the club are aware of the involvement of parties other than the media in these instances. However, there comes a time when a line in the sand has to be drawn, our club defended and our enemies exposed and confronted.

I look forward eagerly to your response and subsequent actions

How about going and fucking yourself, your bloody club brought it all on themselves and now they are looking for someone else to blame, as for the media, if you feel there are double standards, attacks and whatever else you can find in the tim vocabulary, dont let them into to your filthy stadium then to do after match interviews!!!!

Last time I saw a Hateley column posted on here you lot were slaughtering him for saying quite different things.

It's like football form - you only seem to rate based on the most recent 'performance'.

So what is it this week - hate or love Hateley?

So should we praise him for stuff that we disagree with? :confused:

Hateley isnt my cup of tea at all but he has certainly got it right up timmy in that article.

However its a case of too little, too late. They have been using these kind of deflect/deny tactics for years without a peep against them. The events of 2 years ago when Liewell cited 'sporting integrity' was the time for acticles like this.

Ha, my point exactly :)

I think thats the whole point to be honest; when you are a pundit you get judged on what you write. It would be fuckle to say "I hate Hately as a person" when he writes something bad, and "I like Hately as a person" when he writes something good, but no-one here actually knows him, obviously - we only have access to him via his opinions - if his opinions are good, then all is well, if they arent then he is talking nonsense. Thats not fickle, its just opinion-consuming. I think its right to judge people differently in their different roles. Immense player for us; good or bad pundit depending on what he says :D

Edited by bmck

I think thats the whole point to be honest; when you are a pundit you get judged on what you write. It would be fuckle to say "I hate Hately as a person" when he writes something bad, and "I like Hately as a person" when he writes something good, but no-one here actually knows him, so its not suprising your judgement of what someones saying changes because what they say changes. Thats not fickle, its just opinion-consuming :)

I'd agree entirely if it remained at objectivity - but when most folks sees something they don't like the personal attacks on said author become pretty obvious. I've seen it get pretty harsh on Hateley - particularly when he made some comment last year critical of Rangers and was challenged on it on ESPN. On forums it was a lot less diplomatic.

So it's then a bit 2 faced to turn round and praise them for something they like.

I'd agree entirely if it remained at objectivity - but when most folks sees something they don't like the personal attacks on said author become pretty obvious.

Damnit, you replied too quickly :D To be honest I havent seen that many pretty obvious attacks but I dont read that widely. I think most people would be consistent enough to qualify any praise or criticism, though.

Damnit, you replied too quickly :D To be honest I havent seen that many pretty obvious attacks but I dont read that widely. I think most people would be consistent enough to qualify any praise or criticism, though.

You give folk more credit than I believe they deserve sometimes.