So where has it been, this RST?

I think the bheasts have been doing a remarkably good job themselves.

I can't wait for their next installment of "hide the sausage", the sausage in this case being their joke attempts at being any kind of challenge.

Refs, Establishment, pitches, refs again.

For the past 2 days we've been treated to ex player Lube Moreofafatcheque in town for yet more platitudes.

They are kidding no-one !

No rush.

Would be helpful if the RST/Assembly bods on here also contributed some ideas they may have. Not so we can pull them apart but so we can discuss and refine them if necessary.

I'll also make a few points later this morning... :whistle:

Here are a few ideas for discussion - I may turn this into a constructive article next week for discussion out with here but this may be the best place initially to avoid the usual crap from some.

I think three main areas can be debated.

Communication

The omnipresent bug bear for many fans organisations, improvement has been oft promised but rarely delivered over the years for a variety of reasons - some valid, some no more than excuses (I hold myself partly responsible unfortunately).

The Assembly has put together a new website which has been reasonable so far but certainly under used and under promoted. Aesthetically average and poor forum software/contributors means people have little encouragement for regular visits. I know they are working on improving this though - as well as their email communication - so hopefully that will happen asap. They also had a Fans Forum at Ibrox last November - promising more at that. Unfortunately these have not happened - probably because of the uncertainty surrounding the club. Are more a good idea generally?

The Association have also worked on stuff behind the scenes but they seem to be an organisation struggling to expand beyond the decreasing influence they have had in recent times. How can they address this? Should they accept they are no longer important?

The Trust retain the largest media voice and few people will contest David Edgar et al do a fine job in that regard. However, beyond that they still have problems reaching out to the community - especially the offline one - so I'd be interested to hear if they intend matching the Assembly with their own forum. I understand that will take investment (financial and time wise) to operate but it may prove the best way of removing some of the inter-site problems we've seen develop over the last couple of years. What other plans do they have for increasing awareness?

Innovation

Active media work, liaison with RSCs/NARSA/ORSA etc, GerSave, GersPride, Assembly Fan Forums at Ibrox, work with websites, dialogue with the club - all these projects have been conducted to varying degrees over the last 5+ years by the different fan organisations. Some have been superb, some less so and some failures but there is always room for improvement.

What kind of ideas could take these organisations to the next level? Could they contribute research into development of Ibrox? Can they provide finance/investment via new independent vehicles? How can they involve the wider support?

Improved Representation

It is well known that SDM promised supporters closer involvement with the club in terms of having some sort of input at board level. Depending on your viewpoint that was either very close, never on the table or not desirable anyway. Irrespective of that, many fans do feel they could be represented more effectively - both by the organisations themselves and by the club accepting our input.

As it stands we have three main organisations - each working together but each markedly different in tactics, reputation and funding. How can this be improved? Can they work together better under the Assembly banner to pressurise club into more official/in-depth/regular dialogue? Is the Assembly a dead duck? How do we engage the club in a way to keep them interested while ensuring organisation members are happy?

Have fun!

Like MF I'll take some time to formulate some opinions on this. I think putting it here rather than as an article is wise. Perhaps we can use this thread to create an article like you mentioned on behalf of gersnet.

What I will say is that the last I heard, the RST forum was being looked at in greater detail. That was several weeks ago though. I agree that this is crucial as many good points related to the RST get losts in various messageboard debates. It would be good to have somewhere to discuss ideas and concerns amongst fellow members/supporters.

My own personal suggestion would be a public debate on representation itself - (not the club's future, not the media or other issues) but an open meeting on a suitable date for everyone to attend specifically concentrating on finding common ground...

If people are serious about transparency and improvement then have the heads of the organisations involved and invite everyone else along for their thoughts.

The Assembly Fan Forum and RST GersPride events worked reasonably well so something along those lines but tailored to discuss constructively what can be achieved as fans - with a process to ensure the ideas are taken forward in a genuine sense.

Let's get everyone in the same room and talking again. Far too many sensible, intelligent people around not to utilise during a period where the club's future is in the balance. The fact we'd be doing this from a position of relative strength (touch wood) is also a huge bonus in terms of keeping everything positive.

How would we even begin to approach something like that?

I didn't say it would be easy... ;)

All fan organisations have had experience of organising (or attending) events in recent years in a variety of different ways - AGMs, dinners, Fan Forums, conferences etc etc.

No reason why these formats couldn't be combined to produce a formal structure at a suitable venue. A combination of workshops and speeches with a formal, minuted Q&A session would be interesting. Follow that with an informal buffet in a Rangers boozer and a few barriers may be removed.

Here is a very basic outline agenda, but imagine something like this at Ibrox Stadium (or say Partick Burgh Halls/Wee Rangers Club) for every bear to attend - funded by the club/Assembly.

9-9.30am - Welcome and Introduction

9.30-10am - Speech from Supporters Direct Chairman

10-10.30am - Speech from Club Representative (ideally Martin Bain)

10.30-10.45am - Coffee

10.45 - 12noon - Submissions from each of the Fan Organisations

12noon-12.30pm - Buffet Lunch

12.30-2pm - Separate rooms/workshops for each Organisation for attendee to visit, find out information and join

2-3pm - Main minuted Q&A Session

3pm - ???? - Informal reception in the WRC

I'm not sure how well this would work, how much it would cost, how many would attend or what results could be taken forward but if you want to represent people you can't be more open and more constructive than that.

:)

Nothing seems to have happened following the Assembly fans forum, which is disappointing given Andy Kerr's assurances of follow-up.

I'm sure the current situation of the club would be used as an excuse, but that shouldn't prevent action being taken to restructure it to cover more sections of the support than it currently does, and to make it more accessible, independent and accountable.