A question about contracts

Is there some reason why we cannot agree a clause with any player given a full time contract, that there will be a minimum release clause of say 5mGBP? Would it be illegal? Would their agents not wear it? If a player turned out to be rubbish, it ought to be easy enough to negotiate a reduction in the amount - although I guess most young reserve players will hang on at Ibrox to the end of their contracts, I know I would.

It seems a simple solution to avoid losing promising players for nothing, without tying them to 10 year deals they'd never sign. What am I missing?

Minimum fee release clauses are in fact common-place.

Unfortunately, not every player will agree to one and/or if they do they may want an increased basic wage to do so.

Minimum release clauses are common but not all that common in the UK. Spanish football players all have to have release clauses in their contract. Cuellar followed suit here by putting a release clause on his contract with us.

As for young players getting release clauses it would be hard to judge their potential value and how good they can be.

Thinking about it, we have it backwards. The release clause is for the player's benefit. Without a release clause the club can charge whatever they like until the player can do Bosman or a Webster.

The release clause is to stop a club from holding a player to ransom and charging an extortionate amount meaning the player cannot choose when or where he goes.

Having a 7.8M clause meant Cuellar could leave if that offer came in and he wanted to go. It meant Rangers could not say, no and that they could not hold out for more from another club.

The player has more choice of timing and which club.

It's up to the club to agree what is reasonable.